Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Blocking texts sent from email addresses
Old 08-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Blocking texts sent from email addresses

I've recently started getting a large number of vile spam texts from random email addresses (of the form: somepersonsname55@gmail.com), and I haven't been able to find a way to block all "email texts" like these. My phone is on iOS 13.5.1. I've searched extensively online for a method of blocking these texts, either through phone settings or 3rd party apps, without much luck.

Does anyone know of a way to block all texts sent from email addresses? Ideally, I'd like to be able to have a rule like this: Block all texts from email addresses that aren't in my contacts list. Is there an app that can do this? The texts are being sent via standard SMS, not iMessage.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2021, 12:11 PM   #2

Have you tried this:

Settings
Filter Unknown Senders
Old 08-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #3

If the iOS settings don't work, you can also try your phone service provider. I know Verizon lets you block all texts from email via your account settings page on their website. Other phone providers probably do too.

In Verizon's case, this would just mean that you wouldn't receive any text messages emailed to your-number@vtext.com, or if you have AT&T it would be your-number@txt.att.net. Probably nobody you care about even knows how to send you texts this way, so blocking them all is unlikely to be a problem.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Have you tried this:

Settings
Filter Unknown Senders
Yes. This was the first thing that came up when I did a search for this issue, and I was surprised to find that I had already enabled the "Filter Unknown Senders" option at some point in the past. Apparently, this only works for iMessages, not SMS. Fairly bewildering, as it seems like it would be straightforward to simply have iOS check the sender for all texts, not just iMessages.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #5

If there is some common content in the SMS messages, you can selectively filter all that contain those words with a 3rd party app called WideProtect. I've been using it for years to filter both phone spam and messages, so it's reliable and very effective.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
If the iOS settings don't work, you can also try your phone service provider. I know Verizon lets you block all texts from email via your account settings page on their website. Other phone providers probably do too.

In Verizon's case, this would just mean that you wouldn't receive any text messages emailed to your-number@vtext.com, or if you have AT&T it would be your-number@txt.att.net. Probably nobody you care about even knows how to send you texts this way, so blocking them all is unlikely to be a problem.
Yes, if no one can point me to a 3rd party app that can block email texts, then I'll have to contact AT&T to set this up for my phone. Sigh. It would be really nice to not have to block all email texts, just the ones from unknown senders. Even a simple phone setting like "Block all calls and messages from phone numbers and emails not in your contacts" apparently is too much to expect from a ginormous technology company like Apple.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If there is some common content in the SMS messages, you can selectively filter all that contain those words with a 3rd party app called WideProtect. I've been using it for years to filter both phone spam and messages, so it's reliable and very effective.
Thanks, this looks like it just might do the trick!
Old 08-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Thanks, this looks like it just might do the trick!
I hope so. You can thank fellow member T-Minus, who introduced me to it. It's especially flexible in how it lets you block phone spam, but works well on texts also.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #9

Braumeister, can you confirm that WideProtect would allow me to block all texts from any sender addresses containing, say, gmail.com? I can't find any specifics about the detailed SMS blocking abilities of this app. The developer has posted a few screenshots on the App Store along with some details about how the app works, but not enough to cover my particular use case.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #10

No, I've never tried to use it that way.

I was getting spam texts that contained a few specific phrases, and I just blocked those. You should be able to experiment.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #11

Ahh OK, thanks. Will check it out.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post

I did not know that existed on VZ's website. I've been blocking each individual message I get, but this would certainly be a good fix for me. TY
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:31 AM   #13

Back in the day, AT&T had a special website you could log into to have them block text from email addresses at the source. I did this years ago and it stopped. Today, it looks like you can contact a rep and have them refer to article 446389, which describes to the rep what they need to do to enable this features. Perhaps the capability is on their website, too, if you log into your account.

https://forums.att.com/conversations...d5f2f606e8c5d2

Cheers.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote