Join Early Retirement Today

Breaking Point Reached: Bye Bye to Windows
Old 06-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Breaking Point Reached: Bye Bye to Windows

After some blue-screen crashes on my HP Envy 17" laptop, and hours spent solving issues (e.g. failure to sleep, restore points problems, intermittent fingerprint reader failure, things stop working after upgrades, occasional very slow performance. etc.) I finally thought about switching to a Mac.

I realized that I was stupid not to consider that years ago. I don't play games and I disabled the touchscreen. The things that bug me most about Windows (constant upgrades, driver problems, inconsistent user interfaces, antivirus apps) are not present or are less of an issue with Macs. The novel-writing software I use is better on the Mac.

So, I'll probably switch soon.

One problem is that I prefer a 17" laptop (a laptop works better on my beloved rolltop desk).

Apple stopped making the 17" Macbook Pro in 2012. Would it be dumb to buy a refurbished one of those?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I dunno Al. I have a Lenovo Miix 700 Win 10 tablet I bought in January 2017 and it has yet to hang or crash on me. When I was working I wasy usually issued Lenovo and they were solid... one round I got a Dell and it was a nightmare.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I have the same type of PC (Win10 HP ENVY) and have very few issues. Most of those issues I've been able to fix pretty quick. I do agree the MS updates are really a pain, far to frequent and unannounced. Good luck with the MAC. (I've used those too but keep coming back to my Windows PC's)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been using Apple products for around 11 years and will never return to windoz. I am using a Macbook Air 13" (2015) with a solid state drive. I bought it new and simply love the thing. I cannot imagine that I would ever be inclined to ditch the Mac.
sgstaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I absolutely love my MacBook Air, and DH loves his MacBook Pro. I don’t think we’ll ever go back to PC’s.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I rolled my beloved roll top desk out to the curb a couple weeks ago.

My next computer screen will be a 40 incher up on the wall
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I dunno Al. I have a Lenovo Miix 700 Win 10 tablet I bought in January 2017 and it has yet to hang or crash on me. When I was working I wasy usually issued Lenovo and they were solid... one round I got a Dell and it was a nightmare.
+1 on Lenovo except it is a laptop.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I rolled my beloved roll top desk out to the curb a couple weeks ago.

My next computer screen will be a 40 incher up on the wall
I have thought about multiple screens a few times over the years, but that is when I was working for a living. I still think that it would be handy every now and again.
sgstaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:46 PM   #9

I'm kind of partial to a mid-range Win10 desktop with 3 screens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0241.jpg (505.2 KB, 87 views)

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #10

pssst....Chromebook

edit: doesn't look as if there are 17" CB. Have to settle for 15"
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:08 PM   #11

I'm a self professed Apple Fanboi (sic) Once you go Mac you never go back.

https://www.techopedia.com/definition/28754/fanboi
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

IIRC the big joke back in the day was "Windows 95 - Mac '87" We used Macs at w*rk for many years until some 'person' decided we should go all PC (no, not THAT pc - we'd already done that.) Worst decision in IT ever. Took months to get everything to work the way we needed it. True, there was much more software available, so it probably did help some accounting geeks. For the scientific crowd, it was never forgiven.

But to Al's question, I see no reason a refurbished Mac shouldn't suit most needs assuming you don't need the latest bells and whistles. If anything, I actually don't like, need, want, any of the latest Mac "gadgets" but that's just me, so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:19 AM   #13
gone traveling

I got tired of viruses with windows too and went with a Mac, it’s old and slow now so I picked up a chrome book and it’s great for web surfing but moving, editing and storing files is not its strong point
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
pssst....Chromebook

edit: doesn't look as if there are 17" CB. Have to settle for 15"
+1. On my 3rd Chromebook. Never looking back.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:43 AM   #15

I have migrated most of my day to dat work to the cloud. I keep an iMac on my desk for file / photo / video management but only turn it on once a week or so to do something like that. The rest of the time is on my macbook pro surfing and messing about with files on the cloud.

Would a chromebook be a good choice for a guy like me?
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:04 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I've loved my many macs over the years and am currently running a MacBook Air with a 27" monitor for when I want a large desktop. I also loved my old 15" MBPro, but enjoy the portability of the Air. The 17" model was a bit of a beast to haul around but was a great machine. My next laptop will be one of the thin 15" MBPro's, when that time comes.

I'm highly suspect of the ad serving and data selling google monster and therefore do not use google search, the chrome browser, chromebooks or android. I find that life is better without google. I will say that there are some very nice chromebooks that are not expensive, just not for me.
TheRunningMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:13 AM   #17

I ditched my windows machine in January for an iMac. This doesn’t address your question but I’ll add my +1 to the conversation. My only regret is that I didn’t do it earlier, much like retirement.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
+1. Chromebook. Never looking back.
Same here. Almost as good as mom's apple pie.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:28 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

To answer one of your questions, yes, it would be dumb to buy a refurbished 17” Mac circa 2012.

We use both Mac and Windows. I prefer Windows, but the wife and kids prefer Mac. The Windows machines do require more “help” with upgrades and drivers and such, but I am more comfortable fixing them. When a Mac does have issues, it takes me longer to sort it out. And there is absolutely no upgrading them, except memory. Although laptops in general are difficult if not impossible to upgrade.

All that said, I would not buy a 6 year old refurbished laptop of any kind. Even though you don’t play games or run CPU intensive software, I can guarantee the laptop will be noticeably slower if you load the latest Mac OS, Safari, and whatever office/productivity suite you use.

I have a 2008 24” iMac that has been sitting on the floor for three years b/c it is simply too slow to run the latest Mac OS and do basic tasks (web, email, etc...). It’s a shame, b/c it’s a gorgeous machine. It sits on the floor b/c I can’t bring myself to toss it.

Unless you need the laptop for portability, you might consider the Mac mini with a monitor suits your needs.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:30 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Macs have their own set of issues though, and I think they've gotten worse over time, though I always thought they were much better than Windows.

I get frustrated when I need to do any sort of troubleshooting on the Macs in the family. Apple tries to 'hide' everything from the user. I had to jump through hoops (and yikes! go to the Mac terminal/console!) just to see hidden files (and then force quit/open the finder to make the change take effect!). You have to jump through hoops to include the library or system folders in a file search. And they don't tell you this, I only realized it when I'm looking right at Finder window, with a filename staring me in the face, and 'search' says no such file exists!

For me Xubuntu Linux just has been far less frustrating than Mac. Far less "do it our way" forced on you. Far fewer issues with an update making an app obsolete. I've had the Mac copy over an old app, the new one doesn;t work, and they don;t let you go back to the old version. You could probably load Xubuntu on the HP Envoy (check the Linux forums, in case there are any specific hardware/driver 'gotchas'). If you've backed up your data, and are ready to just wipe windows from the drive, installation is a breeze.

Nothing is perfect of course, but Xubuntu fits me like a glove.

https://xubuntu.org/release/18-04/

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote