Burner for SMS Loops

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
It seems that lately, every interaction anywhere, they want my personal cell phone number. I would never want most of these entities to call me or even text me, but it's getting harder and harder to get things done without giving in. The better companies allow the authentication loop to proceed with an SMS-capable phone number or a non-SMS-capable phone number (VOIP/"land line"), where it reads you the one-time code in a robot voice.

I have old "unlocked" phones laying around. Really cheap unlocked phones are available, especially if you accept pre-owned. So, these are easy to use as a wifi device, but they have no phone number. So won't work for the snoopy companies demanding an SMS authentication loop. In my case, I wouldn't need to ever have it connect to a cellular network, instead, I'd just would use wifi. So are the "usual suspects", like Ting and that kind of thing my option, even though I don't want/need cell connection?

You can do this for free with no cell connection. Just open a new Google account called something like "sengsationals_phone@gmail.com" and enable Google Voice for it. It can receive SMS messages which you can view and reply to in your browser.

If you want to see the messages on a phone instead of using a browser window, then install the Google Voice app on any cell phone. It works on WiFi.

Google Voice is free and should work although I've heard that sometimes banks won't accept as they see it as VOIP number. My Google Voice number is my main number when I call my banks however for some reason I gave them all my cell number for verifications. I can't remember ever having a problem though, maybe it was just habit to give out the cellphone number. It may also have been that I didn't have a data plan back when I opened the accounts.

If your google phone number goes unused for too long, it will get reassigned. Something to know if you're using it for authentication...

If your google phone number goes unused for too long, it will get reassigned. Something to know if you're using it for authentication...

They send you an email warning you 30 days in advance, so all you have to do is log in or make a one second call from the app. I've done that several times, no problem.

Just open a new Google account called something like "sengsationals_phone@gmail.com" and enable Google Voice for it. It can receive SMS messages which you can view and reply to in your browser.
That's too easy! I'll try that. I've already got a tossable Gmail. I never thought that Google Voice would address the snoopy SMS problem.

I never thought that Google Voice would address the snoopy SMS problem.

My GV number is the only number I ever give out to companies, websites, etc. Also give it to people I don't know very well. Greatly reduces the amount of spam calls/texts I get on my cell phone.

Another thought is the MVNO market as the OP mentioned. OP you would have to investigate, and this site is a good one to use https://prepaidcompare.net/

It depends on which carrier network works best for you. There are 2 or so for very low cost (i.e., taxes which on $0 per month pennies). 0 talk and 0 text ones offer Wi-fi calling and that gives you a phone number to share that is not VOip as Google Voice is, if that is a concern. There may be a charge for the SIM, check with the MVNO.

Another thought is the MVNO market as the OP mentioned. OP you would have to investigate, and this site is a good one to use https://prepaidcompare.net/

It depends on which carrier network works best for you. There are 2 or so for very low cost (i.e., taxes which on $0 per month pennies). 0 talk and 0 text ones offer Wi-fi calling and that gives you a phone number to share that is not VOip as Google Voice is, if that is a concern. There may be a charge for the SIM, check with the MVNO.
Thanks for this as an alternative. I had FreedomPop a long time ago as my main cell phone, and it didn't work as a cell phone (didn't work so many times ... reliability), but as an SMS recipient, that might be just the ticket!

I'm going to try "TextNow". Well, more accurately I'm trying TextNow.

I powered-up an old Android phone (that has only wifi connectivity). I'd already set up a throw-away gmail account on it. I went to the textnow web site and it gave me a phone number that can get SMS messages!

The bad news is that you need to send an outbound text message every other day to guarantee they don't reassign the number. So if you register that phone number with a company for authentication, then let that number get reassigned, you're not in a good place when time comes to authenticate again.

I think their business model is to push you into the $10/mo plan just on the fatigue of trying to keep the phone number. I plan on letting it expire and getting a new number every time I log on. We'll see how that works for SMS loops.

ETA: I think I'll also try and "enable google voice" for that account. Not sure how to do that, but I'll give it a try.

Yes definitely sign up for a Google voice number and then you will be able to get text on a phone or computer that way. No phone plan is required. Same phone can be used for running the 2FA authentication app if needed.

ETA: I think I'll also try and "enable google voice" for that account. Not sure how to do that, but I'll give it a try.

Login to the throwaway account in a browser and then navigate to voice.google.com. It's easier if you do it in an incognito/in-private browser window so you can be sure you're using the Google account you intended to without having to switch or sign-out from your usual account.

Login to the throwaway account in a browser and then navigate to voice.google.com. It's easier if you do it in an incognito/in-private browser window so you can be sure you're using the Google account you intended to without having to switch or sign-out from your usual account.
Good advice. Just did that. I used the TextNow number to sign-up for the Google Voice. The SMS didn't come through, but I was able to validate the Google Voice by having them call the TextNow number while I was logged into TextNow. The web browser "rang", but I couldn't figure out how to "pick up the phone", lol! But no matter, they left a voice message with the code. I now have two tossable SMS-capable numbers!

EDIT: I had to remove the dancing guy. It turns out it can look like you locked-in a google voice number, but then you fall back in the loop of selecting a number when you try to use it. So neither the TextNow number nor my Ooma voip "land-line" number worked to validate the google voice number. I think you MUST use another cell phone. And google voice appears to be just a "wedge" in between your "real cell phone" and callers. So, even though you gave the potentially scammy person your google voice number, it rings your regular cell phone! So that's, yeah, not what I want, but it's what I've got.

Last edited:
And google voice appears to be just a "wedge" in between your "real cell phone" and callers. So, even though you gave the potentially scammy person your google voice number, it rings your regular cell phone!

True, but GV has good, automatic spam blockers that prevent known spammers from getting through on your GV number (so your cell phone won't ring). And, as I mentioned before, it's great for keeping your actual cell phone number off the spam/marketing call lists.

It turns out it can look like you locked-in a google voice number, but then you fall back in the loop of selecting a number when you try to use it. So neither the TextNow number nor my Ooma voip "land-line" number worked to validate the google voice number. I think you MUST use another cell phone. And google voice appears to be just a "wedge" in between your "real cell phone" and callers. So, even though you gave the potentially scammy person your google voice number, it rings your regular cell phone! So that's, yeah, not what I want, but it's what I've got.

Hmmm. It's been a while since I originally set this up, but my GV number does not ring on my cell phone or any other phone. I just looked at my settings and I have nothing under "Linked numbers". Can you delete your cell number from there now that your GV number is verified?

Google Voice is free and should work although I've heard that sometimes banks won't accept as they see it as VOIP number. My Google Voice number is my main number when I call my banks however for some reason I gave them all my cell number for verifications. I can't remember ever having a problem though, maybe it was just habit to give out the cellphone number. It may also have been that I didn't have a data plan back when I opened the accounts.
I have had that happen before. I have not tried it lately, but some flag it as a VoIP and refuse to accept it. I recently switched to a low priced "Hello Mobile" smartphone plan. I can send/receive SMS to other phones but I have had a few issues with it working well with all the banks/financial companies. I don't remember all the details but I had issues updating my contact info with one bank or getting some authentication code when interacting with a credit card issuer. It also did not work when trying to get PCR test results, the person who trying text me a link to the results said my mobile number was invalid for text or something like that. Perhaps some of these low cost MNVO providers have some kind of backhaul network which gets flagged as insecure.

While I understand that two-factor authentication over SMS can help in many situations I don't like that some providers who utilize this capability might not accept a GV number. It has almost pushed me to sign up for Googfe Fi, as two-factor makes it hard to sign-in if traveling internationality or changing numbers/providers.

I have had that happen before. I have not tried it lately, but some flag it as a VoIP and refuse to accept it. I recently switched to a low priced "Hello Mobile" smartphone plan. I can send/receive SMS to other phones but I have had a few issues with it working well with all the banks/financial companies. I don't remember all the details but I had issues updating my contact info with one bank or getting some authentication code when interacting with a credit card issuer. It also did not work when trying to get PCR test results, the person who trying text me a link to the results said my mobile number was invalid for text or something like that. Perhaps some of these low cost MNVO providers have some kind of backhaul network which gets flagged as insecure.

While I understand that two-factor authentication over SMS can help in many situations I don't like that some providers who utilize this capability might not accept a GV number. It has almost pushed me to sign up for Googfe Fi, as two-factor makes it hard to sign-in if traveling internationality or changing numbers/providers.
My cell plan is also with a low cost MVNO (Tello) who uses the T-Mobile network and I haven't had any problems with my authentications.
Hello Mobile also uses T-Mobile, so maybe call them and see if they can fix the problem

Can you delete your cell number from there now that your GV number is verified?
Yes. The video, above, mentions that you can remove the linked numbers.

When I go in there, it had the TextNow number, the Ooma "landline", and the "real" cell phone number (that finally allowed the verification to work).

I'm sure I can remove the linked number from the app, but also sure that Google is like an elephant: never forgets anything. Not that I'm at all worried about that aspect of things, but they obviously want some kind of trace to a "real person", and not a transient thing like TextNow.

Yes. The video, above, mentions that you can remove the linked numbers.

When I go in there, it had the TextNow number, the Ooma "landline", and the "real" cell phone number (that finally allowed the verification to work).

I'm sure I can remove the linked number from the app, but also sure that Google is like an elephant: never forgets anything. Not that I'm at all worried about that aspect of things, but they obviously want some kind of trace to a "real person", and not a transient thing like TextNow.
My research on TextNow is that they are using VOip, same as GoogleVoice - prepaidcompare link above - click on the line with TextNow for a description of the service and that might be the issue you found.

As to phone number authentication, I have had similar problems when using an MVNO that uses cell phone towers not VOip. My response to Customer Service when they said they couldn't bring my phone number up was that they needed to decide whether they wanted to do business with me. It seems they could also do 2-factor using email (imagine that!).

-Rita

Back
Top Bottom