Join Early Retirement Today

Can we have a discussion on security cameras?
Old 10-19-2021, 06:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can we have a discussion on security cameras?

Did not see a recent discussion on this topic.

My goal is to have a setup for when I am away from home overnight. Possibly 4 indoor cameras at various strategic places. Have experimented with some low cost cameras for a few years. Have 4 older, cheaper cameras from 3 manufacturers. Each has its own app for viewing. Have setup push and email notifications. Have experimented with saving to my Synology NAS and to each camera's SD card.

Due to cost, I am not planning on cloud storage offered by the manufacturers. I understand that a potential thief could sabotage any system by cutting electricity and internet. Not planning for this. Also, not planning on one of the monitoring services, mainly, due to cost.

Yes, DW will get some stickers that mention security.

There are hundreds of different camera manufacturers and they come out with new models on a frequent basis.

My plan is to purchase 3 cameras to replace the older ones. These would probably be from the company that made my most recent camera ($45). It has all of the capabilities I need (PTZ, 1080P, night vision, audio, bakes bread). I would also need 2 licenses (about $61 per license) from Synology as the NAS only comes with 2 licenses for Surveillance Station.

OK, what am I missing? What camera setup works for you?
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 07:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I’m happy with my Wyze cameras. Email motion alerts. No storage. Wireless. I’ve had them for a few years and added a couple here and there.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:17 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We use Blink at both of our properties. We chose Blink because of its simplicity and reasonable cost.

No wiring needed... the cameras connect wirelessly to a hub that is plugged into your router and will run for about 2 years on two AA lithium batteries.

When armed and the camera senses movement, the camera records video and uploads it to the cloud and you get a notification on your phone or tablet and can view the video.

I can also monitor temperatures since the camera can provide temperatures.

No cost other than the initial equipment cost.

And the package that I bought included stickers and signs.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:52 AM   #4

I have 2 Eufy Solo IndoorCam P24 cameras. I use them with my Apple Home iPhone/iPad app and had to bump up my iCloud storage option to the 200GB option to accommodate the use of the cameras. This iCloud option costs only $2.99 per month and supports up to 5 cameras as of the latest iOS upgrade. The cameras are powered by plugs into the wall (so no batteries to change). But they are connected to the network via wireless wifi.

That is a lot less expensive than Eufy's own cloud storage, which I think was $6.99 per month. Also, I found that Eufy's own app didn't reliably detect when I left the house and arrived back at the house. Therefore the cameras weren't activating and deactivating when I wanted them to. Apple's Home app has proven very reliable at detecting when I leave the house, and therefore activates the cameras.

I'm quite happy with the picture quality of the cameras and their ability to detect motions and record. So far, they have only captured my pets in motion, but that's a good thing. Both the Apple Home app and the Eufy app were good at sending notifications when they detected movement.

So far, I'm happy that my setup works as I was expecting it to.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Can any of these cameras be used to provide a view w/o motion?

In our new home, we don't have a good view of anything in front of the garage, the garage sticks out, the foyer is recessed, so we can't even see if there is a car in our driveway. It bugs me, as our previous home was set on the back of a large lot with lots of big windows in front - I could see someone approaching from afar, could see people walking, biking, driving by.

I'd like to have a camera/monitor set up, just so I could see what's out front whenever I want. I'm actually less concerned about the security aspects, I just want to see what's going on, I feel oddly isolated w/o that view - doesn't bother DW.

Also, I should be able to easily mount a camera outside with access from the attic (there's a decorative vent at the front of the house, should be pretty easy to remove), so I could get power to it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

You'll need to use camera(s) with wired power -- either via plug or PoE (power over ethernet). The battery-powered cams won't last long at all if constantly on. I believe (Google) Nest cams have long power cords with USB plugs. Otherwise, in PoE, there are tons of options but you'll need to run Cat5/Cat6 wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

In our new home, we don't have a good view of anything in front of the garage, the garage sticks out, the foyer is recessed, so we can't even see if there is a car in our driveway. It bugs me, as our previous home was set on the back of a large lot with lots of big windows in front - I could see someone approaching from afar, could see people walking, biking, driving by.

I'd like to have a camera/monitor set up, just so I could see what's out front whenever I want. I'm actually less concerned about the security aspects, I just want to see what's going on, I feel oddly isolated w/o that view - doesn't bother DW.

Also, I should be able to easily mount a camera outside with access from the attic (there's a decorative vent at the front of the house, should be pretty easy to remove), so I could get power to it.

-ERD50
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:

-ERD50
My Eufy cameras (described above) have a "view on request" type feature. At any time, I can view what the camera currently sees. I have to go into the app on my iPhone or iPad and tap on the camera I want to view, but it works nicely. When you are viewing in this mode, it is live video. Not a still picture. It is referred to as "streaming". It isn't recording it, just streaming what it sees. If you want to record it, that is a separate setting. I'm not sure if streaming requires a data storage plan or not.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:18 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

-ERD50
Wyze cameras would work in your case if you can get wifi signal from the camera location. I have mine set up not to provide motion sensor alerts most of the time so that I don't get bombarded with emails.

I have the same situation - recessed front door. Side load garage that I can't see. I just watch my phone to see what's going on out there.

I don't think that wyze has an app for computers - I just use the iPhone and iPad app.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #9

I use Wyze cameras. They work well. I don’t pay for their cloud service, so I only get short video clips, which is good enough for me.

You can disable motion detection. Or you can leave motion detection enabled and disable notifications. This way you could check to see what was recorded if you’re interested.

I have both their battery camera and wired camera. Both work fine. For the price, there’s little harm in getting one to try it out.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, I'll look into those. I can get power to it, and should be in good WiFi range.

Not sure if it is out there, but I'd really prefer a system that didn't rely on an 'app'. I'd actually like to dedicate some hardware to this, not switch back/forth on a phone/tablet/computer. Kind of like the old school hard-wired monitor. Seems I too often get caught up in the update game, where the app needs to be updated, then it says it needs the new OS, and my hardware is too old for the new OS.

Thanks, I'll look into those other details a bit later.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #11

if you're a geek, you can build a zoneminder server and use many different cameras with it.
https://zoneminder.com/
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I’m happy with my Wyze cameras. Email motion alerts. No storage. Wireless. I’ve had them for a few years and added a couple here and there.
+1

So the OP knows, Wyze cameras include about 14 seconds of storage to the cloud upon detection (they do stop recording to the cloud for 5 minutes after that, to encourage you to pay for the cloud service) and each camera has a spot for a memory card to store on as well.

If you spring for the ~1.50 per month, (and can only pay for months away on a trip) a camera will store more to the cloud without the 5 minute gap.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:50 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Wyze cameras would work in your case if you can get wifi signal from the camera location. I have mine set up not to provide motion sensor alerts most of the time so that I don't get bombarded with emails.

I have the same situation - recessed front door. Side load garage that I can't see. I just watch my phone to see what's going on out there.

I don't think that wyze has an app for computers - I just use the iPhone and iPad app.
+1

I use Android phones, and Wyze streams nicely to those too.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #14

For indoors we use FOSCAM pan/tilt cameras while we are gone. We place them where we want and can control their aim remotely with a PC, tablet, or phone.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

If this is the way you want to go, you may want to look into an old school CCTV (closed circuit) system. Basically send a constant live feed over BNC/coax/etc to a small LCD TV somewhere.

Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into those. I can get power to it, and should be in good WiFi range.

Not sure if it is out there, but I'd really prefer a system that didn't rely on an 'app'. I'd actually like to dedicate some hardware to this, not switch back/forth on a phone/tablet/computer. Kind of like the old school hard-wired monitor. Seems I too often get caught up in the update game, where the app needs to be updated, then it says it needs the new OS, and my hardware is too old for the new OS.

Thanks, I'll look into those other details a bit later.

-ERD50
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

-ERD50
I have a battery powered Ring doorbell. It doesn't upload videos because I chose not to pay the monthly charge after the introductory free period ended. It does send alerts to my phone when someone comes to the door or rings the bell. I can log into it at anytime and see the front door view. The rechargeable battery lasts more than a month. If there is a lot of motion in the camera view frequently activating the camera, the battery may run down quicker.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:32 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We've used Arlo cameras for years (both at vacation home and at home). Not the cheapest option but super reliable and the quality is super solid. Uses CR123 batteries. I purchased some rechargeable ones off Amazon and I have to recharge it every 6 months or so. Can do on-demand viewing and will record movement. Potentially worth considering, though I haven't explored all the options...
JohnnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:56 PM   #18

I have a mix of Wyze and Arlo cameras and find the Wyze easier to use and definitely much more affordable. The cost of Arlo's data service is ridiculously expensive in my opinion. The Wyze cameras take microSd cards. The Arlo cameras look cooler and are easier to mount.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:58 AM   #19

I have 4 older cameras that are POE and starting to give me problems. So I ordered 4 Wyze cameras to replace with. The only issue is getting 5Vdc to each camera. So I bought these adapters and this power injector. I'll put each adapter under the vinyl siding and attach to the cat5 and cameras for power. They're wifi with an SD card so I won't need the old recorder. That's my first project when we get back home in a few weeks.
The Wyze cameras are very easy to install, just put one up at the cabin using a stick on magnet to mount it. And using these parts allow me to use the existing cat5 cable for power to each camera.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-20-2021, 07:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

-ERD50

The blink cams have live view and still shot functions. They use non rechargeable batteries that are projected to last 2 yrs. No way to know about that but they are pretty cheap and it’s very easy to change batteries.