Join Early Retirement Today

Changing SSID without reinstalling all devices
Old 01-10-2022, 06:34 PM   #1

Changing SSID without reinstalling all devices

Is it possible to change my SSID without having to go to each of my wifi devices and reconnecting?

I'm about to put in a new router and I want to change the SSID from my current name. I'm hoping there is a way to do the change without having to go to everything and search for the SSID and put in the password.

I'm thinking there's no possible way to do this so I was wondering about another option:

Can I change the "guest" ssid to my current name and password? That would allow me to transition things over to the new SSID and password as I get around to it.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking there's no easy way to do this but thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2022, 06:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Changing your Wi-Fi SSID will require you to connect each device to the new SSID and enter your password.

I suppose you could use your guest network and do the transition when desired. That would drive me crazy. Lol

I think guest networks have the same permissions as a primary network, but you might want to research that first.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:59 PM   #3

If you have Apple products you can share the wi-fi password between devices so you don't have to type it. You just hold the device close by and it asks if you want to share the password. It wouldn't take care of all of our wi-fi devices but it is helpful.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
If you have Apple products you can share the wi-fi password between devices so you don't have to type it. You just hold the device close by and it asks if you want to share the password. It wouldn't take care of all of our wi-fi devices but it is helpful.
Interesting. Of course my problem is those internet plugs with different apps that I’m going to have to figure out how to talk to them to change the ssid/password. Might not be as bad as I’m thinking, but not looking forward to it. Also hoping to figure out a way around it. Thinking that using the guest network may work okay until I can get everything switched over.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:51 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Easy enough to change on my laptop and phone but I ran into the same issue with all of the smart devices. I wound up keeping my old SSID.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:43 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP you could use the same SSID, but turn off broadcasting it, so it doesn't show up anymore.
Someone wanting to connect has to know what it is without seeing it. So you can still add new devices.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:48 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Interesting. Of course my problem is those internet plugs with different apps that I’m going to have to figure out how to talk to them to change the ssid/password. Might not be as bad as I’m thinking, but not looking forward to it. Also hoping to figure out a way around it. Thinking that using the guest network may work okay until I can get everything switched over.
Last year I added a newer primary router to my 2-router situation. I took advantage of that situation to find all my devices and look at each one. I used a spreadsheet to capture all the data from connected devices list. Then I looked at the mess and made some design changes. For example I reserved the bulk of the IP's for those iOT devices and all of my primary computing devices, servers, and printers. Also, I assigned the devices to 2G or 5G networks as required.

I think that much can be gained by biting the bullet and finding out the details for your network topology. Even though you don't want the job, you're the network admin!

I do not allow guest access, and always turn that off.

Hidden SSID's can be easily found. It also creates one more obstacle for those logging in as they mis-type the SSID and the password you gave them. Lol.
https://ethicalhackingblog.com/uncovering-hidden-ssids/
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:18 AM   #8

As painful as it might be, I should probably do as you say and take on the task. I never thought about it, but a spreadsheet of what all is on my network would probably be good to have before it gets any bigger. This router is a mesh system and I expect it to last many years so I want to set it up well. Ugh. Thankfully, as runningbum indicated, the laptops and major equipment is pretty easy to change.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:13 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

You can "hide" your SSID on most routers so it won't show under a device scan. I don't know that all devices would be able to work using this method but it's just a suggestion. Yes, they can be "found" but the odds of a hacker cruising around looking for WiFi signals is pretty remote and odds are it wouldn't be strong enough to pick up the signal off your property.

I have named my SSID "NSA Network Monitor" and for the guest/pool access (that is usually turned off) it's "FBI Surv"
Old 01-11-2022, 08:22 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As painful as it might be, I should probably do as you say and take on the task. I never thought about it, but a spreadsheet of what all is on my network would probably be good to have before it gets any bigger. This router is a mesh system and I expect it to last many years so I want to set it up well. Ugh. Thankfully, as runningbum indicated, the laptops and major equipment is pretty easy to change.

How many devices are you talking about?

I was going to suggest a spreadsheet also so you can keep track and cross off what you changed and still need to change.

Reminds me of the time years ago when my computer had a keylogger so I had to roll up my sleeves and go changing userids/passwords just to be sure.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I have named my SSID "NSA Network Monitor" and for the guest/pool access (that is usually turned off) it's "FBI Surv"
Love it. My primary WiFi SSID is "FBI Van 13".

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post

Hah! "FBI Cybercrime Unit #[Number redacted]" here.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:06 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It's about the secure password.

In my development I can "see" quite far with my tablet and a special app.

Every kid knows about this just like where to go on Friday night.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:11 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
I have a friend who works for the NSA and gave me a crossed look when he saw the log on username/password we had displayed in the guest room for his use when he and his DW visited last summer. He also gifted us an NSA "branded" nutcracker (Christmas decoration) that we store in a lead lined box just in case.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:12 AM   #15

Does your current router allow for multiple wifi networks? If so, you can set up the new SSID on the current router, and since you have both networks up at once, you can switch devices one by one without having some of them offline. Then you can use the same (new) SSID and password on the new router and switch more seamlessly.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:16 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Does your current router allow for multiple wifi networks? If so, you can set up the new SSID on the current router, and since you have both networks up at once, you can switch devices one by one without having some of them offline. Then you can use the same (new) SSID and password on the new router and switch more seamlessly.
This is a good idea. When I installed the mesh router, I kept the cable company provided one broadcasting as well (if I recall, we had to since this is how the wireless receivers work). I changed the name of the mesh router to the "old SSID" and renamed the cable-co router to the same name but with a 1 at the end. We also added "5" to the 5 GHZ broadcast SSID names too for easy ID.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #17

I was thinking something along these lines. I would set up the new router and keep the existing one running until I moved everything over. My thought was that there would be too much interference with both routers going - but maybe not.

Easysurfer - I have a lot of internet devices. A bunch of plugs, TV's, computers, garage door opener, pool controls, furnace, Ring Cameras, Roku's, Sprinkler controls, Alexa . . . Though, the amount is not the problem. The problem is that after the initial install, I've never had to mess with that setting. On a few of those plugs, I'm not sure how to even reset the SSID/PSWD. So it's the PITA of getting them all reset rather than the number of them.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was thinking something along these lines. I would set up the new router and keep the existing one running until I moved everything over. My thought was that there would be too much interference with both routers going - but maybe not.

Easysurfer - I have a lot of internet devices. A bunch of plugs, TV's, computers, garage door opener, pool controls, furnace, Ring Cameras, Roku's, Sprinkler controls, Alexa . . . Though, the amount is not the problem. The problem is that after the initial install, I've never had to mess with that setting. On a few of those plugs, I'm not sure how to even reset the SSID/PSWD. So it's the PITA of getting them all reset rather than the number of them.
I see. Glad now I chose chose the default SSID of my router. Pretty much just the router name.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:07 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

If you post the old and new router models that helps.

I might be tempted to use one router for the legacy 2G devices (let it keep doing its business) and use the newer router with 5G channel only. 2G goes long and your iot thingies are probably 2G only. 5G is what you prefer for video streaming.

The challenge is setting up DHCP properly so you have no contention for IP addresses. If each router uses the same default IP, then you can't get far with two routers. Every detail would need to be worked out ahead of time.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:14 AM   #20

I got overwhelmed in my head so I am giving up on trying to change the SSID/Pswd. Thankfully, my SSID is not my name, or anything like that. It’s just the name that came with the router. One thank you for a few on this thread that mentioned programming the router to not automatically show the SSID. That will be good enough. Thanks everyone for the input. I was hoping for an easy fix, but knowing one is not there probably saved me a lot of grief.