Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2018, 07:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I have in mind getting DW a Chromebox with a 23" monitor but the choices seem somewhat limited. ASUS, ACER, HP and Dell seem like possibilities but I don't sense a commitment to the platform and an upgrade to a decent processor bumps the price up to where a conventional PC would be. Any recommendations?
DW and I each have one and are online (mostly here ) for a few hours each day. We have the ~$299 HPs.

Does the job, relatively cheap and as most everything is web based, never had an issue with speed, video or anything else. I'd be hard pressed to pay more for how I use it but YMMV.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
I'm also looking for a Chromebook (like the OP). This thread answered a lot of my questions, but I am concerned about the comment educating me that I need windows for iTunes.

I have iTunes on my laptop, and use it only to buy new songs -- though I can buy new songs on my iPhone, too.

So why do I need Windows for iTunes? Does the iTunes program on my laptop store my songs, or are they in the Cloud? How can I dump my laptop and still safely keep my iTunes library if I am only using a Chromebook?
In my case I use iTunes to occasionally purchase music, mostly to download podcasts, and always to transfer audio to my iPod.

So far, I haven't found a sufficient alternative. If I scrapped the iPod and used my iPhone for music and podcasts, I wouldn't need a Windows machine to run iTunes. But I don't want to do that.

I love Chromebooks. My wife has one and I'd switch to one once my Windows laptop dies, if not for needing the ability to run iTunes. Maybe by then things will be different.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Chromebook?
Old 12-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Chromebook?

I think it’d be less confusing if iTunes discussion was done apart from this thread about Chromebooks.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:09 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
In my case I use iTunes to occasionally purchase music, mostly to download podcasts, and always to transfer audio to my iPod.

So far, I haven't found a sufficient alternative. If I scrapped the iPod and used my iPhone for music and podcasts, I wouldn't need a Windows machine to run iTunes. But I don't want to do that.

I love Chromebooks. My wife has one and I'd switch to one once my Windows laptop dies, if not for needing the ability to run iTunes. Maybe by then things will be different.
As others have noted, one could still manage iTunes from their phone.
You can also upload your iTunes to Google Music; pretty much the same thing.

Personally however I've become a heavy Pandora user and find that I rarely, rarely listen to the 2000 songs I've purchased over the years; maybe just a playlist when I fly. Haven't bought a song in 6-7 years. YMMV
Old 12-29-2018, 05:12 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I think it’d be less confusing if iTunes discussion was done apart from this thread about Chromebooks.
Agreed. (despite my recent post above)
For me it was an easy 'sacrifice' considering the overall benefit of CB. All I did was move my music to Google, but as noted above I rarely use it now anyway.

Wish I had a dime for every song/record/CD that I just "had to have" over the past 50 years.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I have in mind getting DW a Chromebox with a 23" monitor but the choices seem somewhat limited. ASUS, ACER, HP and Dell seem like possibilities but I don't sense a commitment to the platform and an upgrade to a decent processor bumps the price up to where a conventional PC would be. Any recommendations?
I went with a smaller 11'6" display on my CB. I was worried it might be a little small but it is perfect for my needs. I only use it on my lap....not on a desk. If you plan to use it on a desktop then a larger monitor could be helpful. I only have a celeron processor and this thing flies. Mine is a Lenovo btw.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:14 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The big downside with Chromebook is zero privacy. I am not ok with Google having my data. A better solution is get a refurbished Thinkpad or HP Elitebook, put Ubuntu on it. Then install Win 10 in Virtualbox. This way you get the ability to run Windows or Linux apps with privacy. Also install Wine, this will run small Windows apps in Linux as well. I would put a SSD in it if it didn't have one. Android apps can run in the Chrome browser with the right setup.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:48 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Wish I had a dime for every song/record/CD that I just "had to have" over the past 50 years.

I know very well what you mean. I imported all my CDs (a mind-numbingly boring and lengthy task). But it turns out shuffling tracks gets me to listen to songs I’d never heard (or ignored) before. Especially true for albums that I initially bought for one or two songs.

Of course, that statement has nothing whatsoever to do with Chromebooks. I confess.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, I just read that Windows 10 will be available on some of the newer CBs very soon. This should help ease some angst.

Here's an article: https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...ur-chromebook/

They also have an interesting work around: "...You'd be better off, presuming you have a high-speed internet connection, remotely logging into your Windows 10 PC from your Chromebook using the Chrome Remote Desktop. With it, you can remotely use your Windows PC and all its applications...."
Old 12-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
FWIW, I just read that Windows 10 will be available on some of the newer CBs very soon. This should help ease some angst.

Here's an article: https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...ur-chromebook/

Well, some people might like that option, but my opinion is and then
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:15 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post

“Well that’s just crazy, Andy, that’s just crazy!”

- overheard in a Mayberry barber shop

Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, that sounds like the definition of angst, not easing it!

I really want to get a Chromebook to play with, but I've held back since in this family I already support:

My Linux laptop/daily-driver.

Our Android phones.

My Android tablet.

DW's Apple tablet and laptop.

I was torn about adding another system, but then again, that can also be 'fun'.

Question: Is the ability to run Android apps on a Chromebook mainstream now? If so, I'll go for it. I kinda hate finding different apps for the same thing, and learning the various quirks/limitations of each.

TIA -ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, that sounds like the definition of angst, not easing it!

I really want to get a Chromebook to play with, but I've held back since in this family I already support:

My Linux laptop/daily-driver.

Our Android phones.

My Android tablet.

DW's Apple tablet and laptop.

I was torn about adding another system, but then again, that can also be 'fun'.

Question: Is the ability to run Android apps on a Chromebook mainstream now? If so, I'll go for it. I kinda hate finding different apps for the same thing, and learning the various quirks/limitations of each.

TIA -ERD50

I just picked up a chromebook about a month ago. It can run Android and Linux apps right out of the box. That will depend on the OS version and hardware (I think). You can also install Ubuntu alongside ChromeOS. I did that at first, and then ended up deleting the installation. For what I do on the chromebook, the combination of ChromeOS, Android, and Linux apps were enough for me. And if you like, it even came with Bash (shell).
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
All you CB folks, since it mostly works best (my guess) with internet access, I have to say the music issue I am finding solved by a subscription to Spotify.

I have access to about 40 million songs and for 2 more days it is on special a 3 month trial is only 99 cents, and you can cancel if you don't like it.
Scroll down a little on the link below and you will find it.

https://www.spotify.com/us/

It has an application for Linux as well, and apps for other OS's.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just picked up a chromebook about a month ago. It can run Android and Linux apps right out of the box. That will depend on the OS version and hardware (I think). You can also install Ubuntu alongside ChromeOS. I did that at first, and then ended up deleting the installation. For what I do on the chromebook, the combination of ChromeOS, Android, and Linux apps were enough for me. And if you like, it even came with Bash (shell).
Thanks, I think I'll give a Chromebook a try then. Cool that you can load Ubuntu, though I probably won't, the ChromeOS is probably just more suited. But it could be a nice option if/when I repurpose it down the road.

-ERD50
Old 01-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm the poster who recently re-started this thread. Got an Acer chromebook and love it. A bit over $200 bucks...

I have also converted key personal docs from MS Word to Google Docs without much trouble. And I can print from the chromebook. I have little need for my old PC now.

As to music, the responders to my post have allayed my fears about iTunes. Also, I'm now using AccuRadio, which is apparently now commercial-free (it formerly wasn't), and have downloaded the Musi app, which is amazing, in that it lets you organize music obtained from apps such as YouTube, and it's ad-free, except for a minimal banner on your phone when it's running.

I'm pretty much set. Thanks to "yinz" all for your help.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Thanks, I think I'll give a Chromebook a try then. Cool that you can load Ubuntu, though I probably won't, the ChromeOS is probably just more suited. But it could be a nice option if/when I repurpose it down the road.

-ERD50
I bought DD a Chromebook (her second one) last summer. It has a touch screen and a stylus besides being "convertible" as a touchpad. Outstanding device. I think I paid around $400 for it.

I'm using a Toshiba CB that I have had for about three years. I haven't touched my laptop since I bought the Chromebook. I do have an old desktop with Win 7 on it that I use very rarely.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Chromebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
I'm pretty much set. Thanks to "yinz" all for your help.

Great news, it sounds like you kept at it to have things set up for your needs. A Chromebook will sneak up on you, and you might find it’s not as restricting as it seems at first glance.

I’d heard that people in W. Penn say “you-uns” where other regions say things like “youse”, “y’all”, etc but never knew the spelling. I’m a “you guys”.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:21 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I turned on my 2013 Samsung Chromebook today and got a notice that there’ll be no further updates for the device due to its age. It said it will still function but no more security fixes, etc.

I was a little surprised but will keep using it while considering replacing with an iPad (to support specific iOS apps, not dissatisfaction with Chromebooks).

Old 06-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I turned on my 2013 Samsung Chromebook today and got a notice that there’ll be no further updates for the device due to its age. It said it will still function but no more security fixes, etc.

I was a little surprised but will keep using it while considering replacing with an iPad (to support specific iOS apps, not dissatisfaction with Chromebooks).
That's a bit of a bummer. Can you load Linux (Ubuntu or something) on it?

-ERD50