Chromebook?

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm looking into getting a Chromebook, but have some questions.

Do Windows apps run on the Chrome OS?

With the only I/O being USB ports, how can I install a Windows app I already have installed on my old laptop, if, for example, I only have the original CD/DVD installation disk? The wi-fi interface for my printer, for example, is on a disk. (So is Quicken, but I'll have to update that soon anyway:mad:).

Does everything get uploaded to the Google cloud, or just what you specify?

General impressions from those who use it?

Thanks!

Do Windows apps run on the Chrome OS?
No.

But there are extremely few apps that you really need and there are Chrome or Web equivalents for almost everything.

With the only I/O being USB ports, how can I install a Windows app I already have installed on my old laptop, if, for example, I only have the original CD/DVD installation disk?
You can't.

The wi-fi interface for my printer, for example, is on a disk.
If you are talking about a printer driver, then most of those can be installed automatically by Chrome. It gets drivers from the web.

Does everything get uploaded to the Google cloud, or just what you specify?
Virtually everything is stored in the cloud.

General impressions from those who use it?
Unless you specifically need a Windows application, then Chrome is excellent.
My wife uses it every day. It maintains itself and she almost never needs my help any more (which is distinctly different from when she used a Windows laptop).

I still use Windows, mostly because I still use iTunes.

Everything else (word processing, spreadsheets, photos, etc) I use Google apps or web-based apps.

When and if I decide to ditch iTunes, I'll go to Chrome.

Joeea summarized this well. I'll just add that both my wife and I have been using Chromebooks for the past couple years for personal use, exclusively. Great devices for simple needs, quick start-up, stable, no need for separate virus scanning or other security software. But, not for everyone. Using Web-based services and apps is key.

Joeea summarized this well. I'll just add that both my wife and I have been using Chromebooks for the past couple years for personal use, exclusively. Great devices for simple needs, quick start-up, stable, no need for separate virus scanning or other security software. But, not for everyone. Using Web-based services and apps is key.
'

Same here.....now with touch screens and able to run apps from the Google Play Store. Love the Chromebook!

I’ve been a Chromebook user for five years, still using my first one with no problem. I may upgrade to a Chromebook 3 (Samsung), but not sure since the original is still working well.

I agree with the replies so far and will add that it’s worth understanding what a Chromebook is and is not. I think of it as a big web browser that can run a large number of apps found on the Chrome Web Store. Google Apps are easy to use on the Chromebook. I use Sheets frequently and also read the New York Times, use web-based email.

They do not replace traditional laptops or PCs. But recently I’ve been using Chrome Remote Desktop from my Chromebook to have a virtual desktop to my iMac. It works well although messes up the resolution when I get back on the iMac itself.

[Added] One thing I haven’t figured out yet, but haven’t tried very hard, is how to access a Parallels-hosted version of Windows 10 on the iMac through Chrome Remote Desktop to the Chromebook. MacOS works fine.

My end goal is to have few (two) machines - iMac and Chromebook - providing three environments: MacOS, Windows, and ChromeOS. The Windows piece is only to run Quicken for Windows.

The Chromebook is a useful piece of the picture, whether on its own or with other systems.

Last edited:
I use/update excel spreadsheets on my Chromebook using a chrome extension called MS excel online, or something like that. Using online excel, multiple people can update the same file at the same time, just like you can do using Google sheet.

I have a touchscreen Chromebook, and I'm a convert, from an iPad which I used to use every day, but haven't at all since I bought my touchscreen Chromebook. Having a real keyboard is such a time saver, and I can view my Excel spreadsheets on it too (which I tend to do a lot.)

I love my CB. Does everything I need but I'm not a detail spreadsheet guy. Still have my old windows laptop I use for Turbo Tax but that's it. At some point I will try TT's online tax software. If that works out, I'm done with windows.

Like Joeea, I am no longer the IT manager for Ms G's windoze laptop. I do use a W10 remotely for Quicken and Turbotax, and as a print manager. I have had Gmail and used Gdocs for a long time so transition was pretty painless.

I'm also looking for a Chromebook (like the OP). This thread answered a lot of my questions, but I am concerned about the comment educating me that I need windows for iTunes.

I have iTunes on my laptop, and use it only to buy new songs -- though I can buy new songs on my iPhone, too.

So why do I need Windows for iTunes? Does the iTunes program on my laptop store my songs, or are they in the Cloud? How can I dump my laptop and still safely keep my iTunes library if I am only using a Chromebook?

I'm also looking for a Chromebook (like the OP). This thread answered a lot of my questions, but I am concerned about the comment educating me that I need windows for iTunes.

I have iTunes on my laptop, and use it only to buy new songs -- though I can buy new songs on my iPhone, too.

So why do I need Windows for iTunes? Does the iTunes program on my laptop store my songs, or are they in the Cloud? How can I dump my laptop and still safely keep my iTunes library if I am only using a Chromebook?

I looked back on the thread and saw a mention of iTunes and Windows that you might have misinterpreted. iTunes doesn’t need Windows but it can be used on that OS. As an Apple product, it runs on the Apple platforms.

Your iTunes library can be stored in several places (as you mention) where there’s sufficient capacity. I think the prior mention of Windows iTunes meant that the library is on a Windows machine that’s still active.

I’ve never considered running iTunes on a Chromebook. I suppose one could establish a Bluetooth connection to a device that has iTunes access (e.g. a smartphone) and listen to the audio on the Chromebook speakers. But for that, it seems better to use earbuds and skip the Chromebook

Someone else might have a better answer than that...

AFAIK, you cannot run iTunes on CB. (welcome to the tyranny of Apple and MS)

You CAN download your iTunes to Google Play (which is what I did) but to use an Apple product (player, phone etc) via CB is hit or miss; mostly miss. I go back to the iPod and found an app that let me organize it via CB but not download to it. Newer CBs should also allow installation of apps to help that, but I'm old school.

Not sure, but you should be able to access your iTunes via CB and play through iTunes but that might be about all you can do.

CB is an entirely different way of looking at things and it took me a while to get there, but I'm glad I did. With CB, you do not download software; mostly everything is web-based.

iTunes and a downloadable TurboTax were the only two sacrifices I had to make to fully move to CB; a sacrifice I gladly made.

Last edited:
Assume I have only a Chromebook and iPhone, and eventually dump my PC laptop. Can I still store my iTunes songs in the Cloud, and access iTunes via my iPhone?

I have looked in the iPhone App Store, and don't see an iTunes app, just the iTunes Store and Apple Music. Is Apple Music the iPhone app that's an equivalent of iTunes?

The bottom line is that I'd like to preserve all the songs I bought via iTunes in the Cloud, and be able to access them and organize them via my iPhone. Then for web browsing, I hope to use a Chromebook.

My research also indicates that a Chromebook can now be connected to a wireless printer, correct?

The goal is to ditch the PC after I get used to the Chromebook... Many thanks in advance for your input.

...or keep iTunes on the old PC/notebook as dedicated music server. I do not use cloud or wish my library to be held by others.

I use an app called REMOTE on my iphone to control it from other rooms. Might be available on Chrome. I also use VNC on my primary PC to be able to get into the iTunes PC.

Assume I have only a Chromebook and iPhone, and eventually dump my PC laptop. Can I still store my iTunes songs in the Cloud, and access iTunes via my iPhone?

I have looked in the iPhone App Store, and don't see an iTunes app, just the iTunes Store and Apple Music. Is Apple Music the iPhone app that's an equivalent of iTunes?

The bottom line is that I'd like to preserve all the songs I bought via iTunes in the Cloud, and be able to access them and organize them via my iPhone. Then for web browsing, I hope to use a Chromebook.

My research also indicates that a Chromebook can now be connected to a wireless printer, correct?

The goal is to ditch the PC after I get used to the Chromebook... Many thanks in advance for your input.

Yes, you can keep iTunes and manage via your iPhone. Nothing has changed for you there.

Printer hookup is a snap and has been for years.

I kept my PC for about a year until I got up to speed on CB but haven't opened it for 6 or 7 years now.

I also slowly migrated to Google Sheets and G Docs (vs Excel and Word) but again, an easy transition as they're almost identical. You're just moving from one world (Apple) to another one with more flexibility (Google)

Last edited:

All of this can be pretty confusing, I think, owing to overloading the word “iTunes”.

This recent post (quoted) seems to indicate you’d be OK without having iTunes software or media (your music) on the Chromebook which would be your browser. That is no problem and should work out of the box.

The Music app is what can be used to play your music. Don’t confuse that with Apple Music, which is a paid service (I think, I don’t use it).

Chromebooks can print to a wireless printer.

Why not try turning off your Windows laptop and experiment on the music side with your phone?

Music you’ve purchased through the iTunes Store will not disappear (you bought/own it!).

Last edited:
As we say in my part of the country: "Yinz posters are great!" Thanks.

I love Chrome OS, the operating system that operates Chromebooks and Chromeboxes, I am typing this on my Chromebox at home right now. I would not go back to using a Windows computer for personal use if you paid me.

'

Same here.....now with touch screens and able to run apps from the Google Play Store. Love the Chromebook!

+1.
I was early to CB. Early on, the lack of WiFi at some places was slightly bothersome. But for about 5 years, I traveled with both my c@rp PC and my CB. As internet access became rather ubiquitous, the limitations of the Windows machine became very obvious.

Chromebook = :smitten:

I have 2 Chromebooks, no longer use Windows or Mac. Two days ago my wife bought the same Chromebook, or at least I thought she did until we brought it home and fired it up. Same make as mine(Toshiba), but the screen is also a touchscreen. I have two larger monitors and plug in the HDMI cable from each computer. BTW, the cost for the touchscreen/computer was $300 from Walmart. (Wife was delaying buying a computer because she tried to get her Macbook working. From the get-go around 4 years ago, it never worked. She kept taking it in, getting it fixed, but it would only work for a short while. She spent a lot of time dealing with it and battling Apple.)

So many reasons to like Chromebook, quick start up, shut down for starters.

Last edited:
I love Chrome OS, the operating system that operates Chromebooks and Chromeboxes, I am typing this on my Chromebox at home right now. I would not go back to using a Windows computer for personal use if you paid me.

I have in mind getting DW a Chromebox with a 23" monitor but the choices seem somewhat limited. ASUS, ACER, HP and Dell seem like possibilities but I don't sense a commitment to the platform and an upgrade to a decent processor bumps the price up to where a conventional PC would be. Any recommendations?

I have in mind getting DW a Chromebox with a 23" monitor but the choices seem somewhat limited. ASUS, ACER, HP and Dell seem like possibilities but I don't sense a commitment to the platform and an upgrade to a decent processor bumps the price up to where a conventional PC would be. Any recommendations?

DW and I each have one and are online (mostly here :LOL:) for a few hours each day. We have the ~$299 HPs.

Does the job, relatively cheap and as most everything is web based, never had an issue with speed, video or anything else. I'd be hard pressed to pay more for how I use it but YMMV.

In my case I use iTunes to occasionally purchase music, mostly to download podcasts, and always to transfer audio to my iPod.

So far, I haven't found a sufficient alternative. If I scrapped the iPod and used my iPhone for music and podcasts, I wouldn't need a Windows machine to run iTunes. But I don't want to do that.

I love Chromebooks. My wife has one and I'd switch to one once my Windows laptop dies, if not for needing the ability to run iTunes. Maybe by then things will be different.

Last edited:
I think it’d be less confusing if iTunes discussion was done apart from this thread about Chromebooks.

In my case I use iTunes to occasionally purchase music, mostly to download podcasts, and always to transfer audio to my iPod.

So far, I haven't found a sufficient alternative. If I scrapped the iPod and used my iPhone for music and podcasts, I wouldn't need a Windows machine to run iTunes. But I don't want to do that.

I love Chromebooks. My wife has one and I'd switch to one once my Windows laptop dies, if not for needing the ability to run iTunes. Maybe by then things will be different.

As others have noted, one could still manage iTunes from their phone.
You can also upload your iTunes to Google Music; pretty much the same thing.

Personally however I've become a heavy Pandora user and find that I rarely, rarely listen to the 2000 songs I've purchased over the years; maybe just a playlist when I fly. Haven't bought a song in 6-7 years. YMMV

I think it’d be less confusing if iTunes discussion was done apart from this thread about Chromebooks.

Agreed. (despite my recent post above)
For me it was an easy 'sacrifice' considering the overall benefit of CB. All I did was move my music to Google, but as noted above I rarely use it now anyway.

Wish I had a dime for every song/record/CD that I just "had to have" over the past 50 years.

Back
Top Bottom