Comcast Changes - price increases, no free Norton

I just checked, and my rate went up by 8.5% this month, but my internet speed was increased from 75Mbit to 100Mbit so I got a little something for the rate change. I pay $79/mon for basic cable in HD & 1.2TB of 100Mbit internet access. There's a $2 city charge for "entertainment tax" included in that price. I have Google Fi for my cellular provider and my typical monthly bill is usually just under $30, so I'm paying ~$110 a month for Phone, Internet, and TV. I don't really see a reason to optimize that any further. Note too that, as a Comcast subscriber, I have access to all of their Xfinity hotspots, so that helps reduce my data usage with Google, which is metered.

We have a fiber optic provider in my city now. Their latest ad offers 500Mbit for $60/mon, but I don't really need more speed. I want 250Mbit for $30/mon! Also, while people seem happy with their internet service, the folks who have switched to their streaming TV service are not so content. I have tried 3 different OTA antennas to see if I can cut out cable TV, but it seems I'm just out of range for good reception so I plan to stick with Comcast for now. I do dislike the annual or bi-annual "rate dance" to haggle over prices.

I spent 15 minutes or so perusing the complaints at this link:
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-...gh-data-usage-megathread/td-p/3265624/page/20

Some people are saying their monthly useage has drastically increased, for no reason they can determine. I found a couple of tips.

1) Change your network password. That will eliminate devices or persons hanging on your connection. After monitoring a while, you can add back a device to see what happens to internet useage.

2) You know the free increase from one speed to the next higher level? It may not be so helpful. Check your useage statistic in the month that took effect.

Comcast is very clever in how it moves the herd to an extra $30/month charge for unlimited data...

I never saw bundling as an effective use of $. So, I have internet with a different carrier and that pricing remains steady. This year, Comcast's Broadcast TV fees are going up, and along with that local/federal taxes. There are solutions, but, one has to determine which channels are important, and IF it is critical to watch a show as it airs, or view it later through some other method.

- Rita

Just received our new Comcast bill. Our costs are up 5.1% ($162 for basic cable TV + Internet + sports package). We are still on the month-to-month 25MB (though speed tests show we are getting over 30MB) plan . Our internet usage as been under 300GB a month since I retired, including streaming movies and TV shows as we have not sprung for HD cable TV. I should take a closer look at this again and not just put it in the "blow that dough" category... :)

For antivirus for now we decided to go with McAfee total protection, as we have many devices and for the next year it is $45 for unlimited devices. We have 30 days to cancel for a full refund so we will test it out.

If I was close to my limits, I'd also check to see my router does not offer an open guest access, that a neighbor finds handy.

I recall, in the past, long ago, when my cable provider touted the wonderfulness of random people being able to access my internet while walking by. This was not a feature I thought valuable.

Statsman,
Yep. I was paying $60/month for internet, and Comcast bumped it up to $80.
They now have competition in my neighborhood. The city allowed a company to run fiberoptic lines.
I went to cancel Comcast, and they backed down to $60 again.
Won't be long until both comp will be at $80.
No cable, just streaming.
JP
I figure this is the next line of attack in response to the cord cutters. Data caps and sizable cost increases for Internet-only service just seems like the next step.

Comcast Data Cap Delayed in 12 stated until 2022

There must have been political pressure placed on Comcast to delay the cap.

"Delaying this ill-timed data cap until at least 2022 is the right call," Connecticut Attorney General William Tong said yesterday. "I have heard from families across Connecticut who easily exceeded this cap while studying and working remotely. Far from so-called super users, these were stories from typical Connecticut families merely trying to stay employed and educate their children during a global pandemic. To raise rates on these families at the very moment they were most reliant on broadband access and least able to pay more was simply unconscionable."

The delay applies to Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...-cancels-data-cap-in-northeast-us-until-2022/

Yeah, there was. And it really stinks that the rest of the country gets shafted by Comcast with the cap while the NE doesn't. There's no justification for it other than a money grab, as proven by the lack of issues last spring when Comcast suspended the cap.

No love for the Comcast monopoly in my area... So I pay $115 a month for internet and basic cable... I should be able to do better as a loyal customer, but Comcast makes you fight them for every discount.

Back
Top Bottom