Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-26-2021, 06:02 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I figure this is the next line of attack in response to the cord cutters. Data caps and sizable cost increases for Internet-only service just seems like the next step.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 07:54 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I expect there will be a lot of chatter about additional cap charges once this starts hitting users. If we're just two "average" users (and I don't know if we are for sure) then families around us with 1-4 children in the home are gonna have overage every month. We'll see how that plays out in the consumer marketplace.
I am not sure that your usage qualifies as "average." I also have Comcast for TV & Internet. When I checked my monthly data usage today, my peak was less than 100GB in the past four months. I am single and I work from home now so two PC's are up and running all day. I watch a little bit of YouTube and I have a Roku, which I don't use all that often. It seems perfectly rational to me for ISPs to charge based on utilization rates. I wish they would offer discounted plans for staying below a given threshold. I would jump on that deal.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I figure this is the next line of attack in response to the cord cutters. Data caps and sizable cost increases for Internet-only service just seems like the next step.
It's really sad how these rent-seekers have managed to keep gov't regulation at bay when most areas have at most two providers to choose from. These caps exist not for network management but simply because there's nowhere else for folks to turn for HSI. Comcast did just fine last year with a cap-free spring, there's no justification for the caps other than greed. And yeah they can claim that it's due to reduced TV revenue but our HSI costs are some of the highest in the world without the extra burden of caps.

Perhaps with new FCC oversight some of this can finally be addressed, but I doubt it - was never seriously looked at during 2008-16. Regulators have been captured as in many other industries.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have never done business with Comcast because all their GREAT DEALS! have very small print that lists all the extra charges, and how they can raise them at any time during the contract, but I am still bound for the term of the agreement. That's a Lose/Win in my book with the customer being on the Lose side .
+100

Very well said

My experience with AV/phone companies has been full of fake deals, hard contracts, and constantly rising prices.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:00 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
I am not sure that your usage qualifies as "average." I also have Comcast for TV & Internet. When I checked my monthly data usage today, my peak was less than 100GB in the past four months. I am single and I work from home now so two PC's are up and running all day. I watch a little bit of YouTube and I have a Roku, which I don't use all that often. It seems perfectly rational to me for ISPs to charge based on utilization rates. I wish they would offer discounted plans for staying below a given threshold. I would jump on that deal.
Yes, as I wrote, I don't know for sure if we're average, or not average.

In Comcast/Xfinity eyes, I am still in the 95% of users who do not use 1.2TB. That seems like a very wide spectrum but for now I'll accept the average label.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/data

Quote:
How does the Xfinity Internet Data Usage Plan work?

The 1.2 Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan includes 1.2 terabytes (TB) of Internet data usage each month as part of your monthly Xfinity Internet service. If you are not on an Unlimited Data plan and choose to use more than 1.2 TB in a month, you will automatically incur an additional charge of $10 plus tax for each block of 50 GB. Maximum monthly overage charges will not exceed $100, no matter how much data a customer uses each month. In January 2021 and February 2021, customers in select markets will receive complimentary credits for any overage charges. Beginning in March 2021, those customers who are not on an Unlimited Data plan and choose to use more than 1.2 TB in a month will receive a one-time courtesy month credit that will waive any overage charges. This is a one-time credit only and will be applied automatically.
It is important to know about 95% of our customers are not likely to be impacted by this plan. Customers can continue to stream, surf, and download without worry. Only about 5% of our customers use more than 1.2 TB of data in a month.
I read on a different support page (which I can't find again) that they send email/text notification when you hit 75%, etc. of you limit. I'll have to pay attention!
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:32 AM   #26

I just checked, and my rate went up by 8.5% this month, but my internet speed was increased from 75Mbit to 100Mbit so I got a little something for the rate change. I pay $79/mon for basic cable in HD & 1.2TB of 100Mbit internet access. There's a $2 city charge for "entertainment tax" included in that price. I have Google Fi for my cellular provider and my typical monthly bill is usually just under $30, so I'm paying ~$110 a month for Phone, Internet, and TV. I don't really see a reason to optimize that any further. Note too that, as a Comcast subscriber, I have access to all of their Xfinity hotspots, so that helps reduce my data usage with Google, which is metered.

We have a fiber optic provider in my city now. Their latest ad offers 500Mbit for $60/mon, but I don't really need more speed. I want 250Mbit for $30/mon! Also, while people seem happy with their internet service, the folks who have switched to their streaming TV service are not so content. I have tried 3 different OTA antennas to see if I can cut out cable TV, but it seems I'm just out of range for good reception so I plan to stick with Comcast for now. I do dislike the annual or bi-annual "rate dance" to haggle over prices.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
I don't really need more speed. I want 250Mbit for $30/mon!
And, you won't get it.
99% of their costs are fixed.

It is similar to your water bill.
Our water bill is $40/mo if we use zero.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:47 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I spent 15 minutes or so perusing the complaints at this link:
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-H...265624/page/20

Some people are saying their monthly useage has drastically increased, for no reason they can determine. I found a couple of tips.

1) Change your network password. That will eliminate devices or persons hanging on your connection. After monitoring a while, you can add back a device to see what happens to internet useage.

2) You know the free increase from one speed to the next higher level? It may not be so helpful. Check your useage statistic in the month that took effect.

Comcast is very clever in how it moves the herd to an extra $30/month charge for unlimited data...
Old 01-26-2021, 12:57 PM   #29

I never saw bundling as an effective use of $. So, I have internet with a different carrier and that pricing remains steady. This year, Comcast's Broadcast TV fees are going up, and along with that local/federal taxes. There are solutions, but, one has to determine which channels are important, and IF it is critical to watch a show as it airs, or view it later through some other method.

- Rita
Old 01-28-2021, 07:51 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Just received our new Comcast bill. Our costs are up 5.1% ($162 for basic cable TV + Internet + sports package). We are still on the month-to-month 25MB (though speed tests show we are getting over 30MB) plan . Our internet usage as been under 300GB a month since I retired, including streaming movies and TV shows as we have not sprung for HD cable TV. I should take a closer look at this again and not just put it in the "blow that dough" category...

For antivirus for now we decided to go with McAfee total protection, as we have many devices and for the next year it is $45 for unlimited devices. We have 30 days to cancel for a full refund so we will test it out.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:07 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If I was close to my limits, I'd also check to see my router does not offer an open guest access, that a neighbor finds handy.

I recall, in the past, long ago, when my cable provider touted the wonderfulness of random people being able to access my internet while walking by. This was not a feature I thought valuable.
Old 01-29-2021, 04:26 PM   #32

Statsman,
Yep. I was paying $60/month for internet, and Comcast bumped it up to $80.
They now have competition in my neighborhood. The city allowed a company to run fiberoptic lines.
I went to cancel Comcast, and they backed down to $60 again.
Won't be long until both comp will be at $80.
No cable, just streaming.
JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Everyone should turn off guest access in the router.
Unless you have unlimited bandwidth.
Comcast Data Cap Delayed in 12 stated until 2022
Old 02-23-2021, 04:08 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Comcast Data Cap Delayed in 12 stated until 2022

There must have been political pressure placed on Comcast to delay the cap.

Quote:
"Delaying this ill-timed data cap until at least 2022 is the right call," Connecticut Attorney General William Tong said yesterday. "I have heard from families across Connecticut who easily exceeded this cap while studying and working remotely. Far from so-called super users, these were stories from typical Connecticut families merely trying to stay employed and educate their children during a global pandemic. To raise rates on these families at the very moment they were most reliant on broadband access and least able to pay more was simply unconscionable."

The delay applies to Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...us-until-2022/
Old 02-25-2021, 09:08 AM   #35

Yeah, there was. And it really stinks that the rest of the country gets shafted by Comcast with the cap while the NE doesn't. There's no justification for it other than a money grab, as proven by the lack of issues last spring when Comcast suspended the cap.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:28 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

No love for the Comcast monopoly in my area... So I pay $115 a month for internet and basic cable... I should be able to do better as a loyal customer, but Comcast makes you fight them for every discount.
Montclairbobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote