Considering move to iPad only

JRon

Recycles dryer sheets
We currently have a MacBook and and iPad, along with iPhones. We are thinking about dropping the Mac and using only iPads. Anyone else done this and if so, anything to watch out for?

We have found a couple items - IOS Word & Excel don’t allow mail merge. Our finance software, Banktivity on the iPad doesn’t do reports, and there is no way to back up music that we downloaded into iTunes (now Apple Music) from CD’s.

Thanks.

I have the Fidelity App on my iPad. While my computer has better Fidelity analysis tools I find that executing transactions on the iPad is easier.

I think it depends on the apps you use.

A show stopper for me in doing this is that the printing of documents isn’t always supported in all places on an iPad that you would want it. And some apps that support printing don’t seem to print well. I will always have a full computer for this as well as local file storage and access.

My wife has a tablet computer and has found the tablet cannot do everything a full laptop or desktop computer can do.

Before going tablet-only, make triple sure that tablet can do everything you need it to do.

We currently have a MacBook and and iPad, along with iPhones. We are thinking about dropping the Mac and using only iPads. Anyone else done this and if so, anything to watch out for?

DW uses her iPad Pro as her primary computer. She has the keyboard and pencil and is very happy.

The only complaint I've heard from her was that the Mac Photos App allows editing of more of the photo metadata than the iPad version.

Since I still use an iMac (love the crisp 5K screen) and an older MacBook, she has the option of using them if need be. But she really doesn't.

We keep all our family documents in a Shared folder in iCloud and can access them from all our Macs, iPads and iPhones.

I rarely post here but I can comment on this.

I recently went through the same decision. We each had a Mac laptop that we used. We are both retired. My wife used the laptop for just web browsing, web games and e-mail. My needs were a little more but reduced substantially after retirement. Her Mac (older) was getting problematic and was not eligible for Big Sur OS update. We “retired” that one and I purchased an iPad Air with keyboard. I use that now. She likes the laptop form better and continues to use it.

I find the iPad ok and adequate for most all of my purposes but will make these few comments:

- Typing on the iPad smart keyboard is more difficult and the arrow keys do not work with all apps as well as a few websites. Not a big deal. I paired an Apple mouse to it as well as the keyboard. I did try a bluetooth keyboard (not Apple) and that just would not maintain a connection. Gave up on that. Perhaps an Apple bluetooth keyboard would do better. If you go this route I would recommend a smart keyboard (for portability) and either an Apple mouse or trackpad. I would probably lean towards a trackpad but already had the mouse.

- Unless you are using Cloud for music, you still need to have a computer to sync music files to your phone, iPad, etc. I have a larger music collection with designated playlists. I continue to keep and update that on the laptop. [I have two users set up on the laptop.]

- Photo editing is ok on the iPad but definitely easier on the laptop. Same comment regarding syncing photos between devices unless you are using Cloud capabilities.

- As a previous comment noted. Printing from the iPad is only wireless. Not much of an issue but still worth mentioning. Also, the built-in print controls are more constrained.

- I now use Pages and Numbers for documents and spreadsheets. They are ok to update on the iPad but creation is much easier on the laptop; especially for spreadsheets. I do use iCloud for document syncing and storage.

- Saving and moving files around seems a little more complicated on the iPad using iCloud. It’s not difficult - just seems a little more cumbersome on the iPad. You get used to it.

- Command prompts from menus are often different in apps on the iPad. For the most part, menu commands look about the same but some are kind of quirky in their location and take getting used to.

- The reader and media apps are generally very good on the iPad. Barnes and Noble Nook, Amazon Reader, Economist, local newspaper, Netflix, Xfinity, Sirius radio, Pandora etc. are all excellent. The iPad really shines here.

I am very happy with the iPad and the form factor. For some things, I like it better than the laptop and generally use it as a “laptop replacement.” I was a little surprised that there was a bigger learning curve than I expected with the iPad for Notes, Numbers, Photos and iCloud file management. This has been my first real use of an iPad for extended time.

I find I personally still need laptop capabilities for some specific tasks and some things are just easier due to a better keyboard and trackpad integration. Having one of each has been a good balance. I don’t think an iPad is a full laptop (or desktop) replacement but more than adequate as an adjunct/mobile device. For us, one of each is a good balance. My wife could get by with just an iPad but, as I said, she likes the laptop better (because she uses it mostly on her lap <g>).

Whether you can drop laptops/desktops and rely on iPads only is unique to your software needs. Unless we know exactly what software you need, we can’t offer a meaningful reply. Storage needs is another big question, but that can be solved with adequate cloud storage if you’re comfortable with that. Some people don’t need laptops/desktops today, but it’ll be years before most people don’t.

Last edited:
I spend a lot of time with Quicken and spreadsheets. I can’t imagine doing either on the iPad, nor the occasional long document or letter and envelope.

Also with my banking, I’m always downloading and saving statements and downloading transactions. All of which get reconciled in Quicken.

Otherwise I use the iPad all the time for reading and web surfing, News App, etc.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one -- particularly on this board -- has yet mentioned screen size. While the 12.9" iPad Pro screen is an amazing piece of tech, it's too small for me to use as my only "computing" screen and I'm relatively young and have good reading eyes (knock on wood).

I use an iPad to surf the web while I'm in the recliner, but I prefer sitting at my desk with my MacBook Pro and 32" monitor. iPad doesn't have computing power or screen size to process photos and video.

Thank you all for your responses - especially dolittle as that was really good. I’m using the iPad now and trying to do so exclusively although we still have the MacBook. Starting to think keeping the MacBook is the way to go.

I'm surprised no one -- particularly on this board -- has yet mentioned screen size. While the 12.9" iPad Pro screen is an amazing piece of tech, it's too small for me to use as my only "computing" screen and I'm relatively young and have good reading eyes (knock on wood).

I'm surprised too as I definitely prefer a LARGE screen. That said, my MIL, who is 89, has switched almost exclusively to her iPhone for everything! She surfs the web, e-mail, facebook, bank/finance, etc etc - all on the iPhone. Used to use iPad but now prefers phone. And it isn't even a large screen phone - just an iPhone SE. Figure that. Way too cumbersome for me, but it works for her.

Thank you all for your responses - especially dolittle as that was really good. I’m using the iPad now and trying to do so exclusively although we still have the MacBook. Starting to think keeping the MacBook is the way to go.

At this point, the MacBook is probably mostly a sunk cost, so you might as well hang on to it at least until it ages out of software updates.

iPad doesn't have computing power or screen size to process photos and video.

iPad Pros and Airs actually out perform most laptops. Apple silicon is very performant and is the reason Apple is transitioning from Intel to its own silicon in its Mac line.

Here's a two year old review showing that for video transcoding (for example) iPad is 3X faster than a Dell XPS 13 with Intel Core i7. The gap has widened since then.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/new-ipad-pro-benchmarks,news-28453.html

I have a MacBook and an iPad and there are some things I do on the MacBook that I cannot imagine doing on the iPad--like spread sheets and doing my taxes on Turbotax. For some reason there are often attachments and downloads I cannot print on the iPad but they print just fine on the MacBook. So for now I am keeping my MacBook (just bought a new one last year).

Personally, I can't stand writing on a touch keyboard, it feels so much slower. If you don't already have a keyboard for it, I recommend you get either a carrying case with a keyboard, or an external Bluetooth keyboard that you can just pick up when you need it and leave in a drawer the rest of the time. I recommend Anker, but they seem to be sold out in many places right now.

My wife has a tablet computer and has found the tablet cannot do everything a full laptop or desktop computer can do.

Before going tablet-only, make triple sure that tablet can do everything you need it to do.

This is especially true for a "closed ecosystem" tablet like the iPad. I would never want to rely solely on an iPad for everything I need (or want) to do on a computer. And honestly, I don't understand why anyone would artificially limit themselves in this way. Good used laptops can be had for a very reasonable price these days.

Bear in mind that I am a "laptop PC person", but my immediate reaction is: No built in keyboard, no built in 17" screen, no USB, no nothin', compatibility issues, how do I print.... I don't know why I'd do this to myself. YMMV! :LOL:

Personally, I can't stand writing on a touch keyboard, it feels so much slower.

I'm assuming iPad full-timers will use either Apple's Magic Keyboard or something similar. That's what my DW has.

The Magic Keyboard is basically the same key mechanism as found in the MacBook - "Full‑size, backlit keys and a scissor mechanism with 1 mm travel"

There is also a built in trackpad.

The descriptions I've heard are that it's very good keyboard in every day use.

No built in keyboard, no built in 17" screen, no USB, no nothin', compatibility issues, how do I print

Have you folks seen the latest iPads? I'm not so sure.

The latest generation iPad Pro's come with magnetically attached keyboards (you really do want to be able to detach them!). Not a 17" screen, but either 12.9" or 11" are pretty nice (both are 264 dpi, wide color gamete (P3), 120 MHz, 600 nits brightness touch screens).

They also have a USB C port and Air Print is supported by virtually all printers made in the last few years.

To me, this has a simple answer. Just stop using your Mac and see how long you can go. My guess is that you’ll be like me. I keep a desktop but use it very little. But, as others have mentioned, sometimes, like working on a spreadsheet, you just want a better set up (keyboard and screen). There’s also the storage issue, but I think I could get around that if I really tried by setting up a server or accepting that my storage is all on the cloud.

I also have an old MacBook Air and an iPad Air 2.

I have found that many things that don't work well on the iPad are great using the MacBook and the common browsers. But, the MacBook is still heavier and harder to pack around.

The big plus for the iPad is that it uses the banking and financial apps. I believe that the iPad using the institution's apps is much more secure than any browser on any regular computer. IIRC, security was a big issue when the iPad platform was built. The exception might be if one has a computer that is only used for financial translations, always kept updated, and can be easily reset to As-New condition, thus wiping out any malware that might have found it's way onto the machine. IOW, a Chromebook.

Over the past two years the iPad apps now do more and more work that one used to have to do via a browser on a regular computer. So, I no longer feel the need for a financial-only Chromebook. My old Chromebook is now past its update life (5 years, IIRC), so security will no longer be as good as it could be.

My verdict: iPad is a great tool and the new ones are much more useful than those of a few years ago, but they do not fully replace a real computer.

FWIW, I just ordered a new iPad Air 4 to replace my somewhat ailing Air 2 which is feeling like it is getting clogged up by modern sites and modern apps. I used to go weeks without rebooting the Air 2. Now I have to do it once or twice a week because some apps and sites on the browser just stop and do nothing. FWIW, my MacBook is the same age as the Air 2, but continues to function very well though a bit slow by modern standards. An extra 2 second wait now and then is not a problem for me.

To me, this has a simple answer. Just stop using your Mac and see how long you can go. My guess is that you’ll be like me. I keep a desktop but use it very little. But, as others have mentioned, sometimes, like working on a spreadsheet, you just want a better set up (keyboard and screen). There’s also the storage issue, but I think I could get around that if I really tried by setting up a server or accepting that my storage is all on the cloud.
Probably the best answer. Quit using your laptop and/or desktop and see how long you last. You may find you're ready, or not. I don't use my desktop as often, and I use my iPad much more, but there are some things I can't really do on an iPad without making concessions I'm not willing to make (e.g. TT online, most of my Excel spreadsheets)...YMMV

Two things keep me from completely ditching the Mac. Quicken and TurboTax. Otherwise I use my IPad Pro almost exclusively.

I use both. Desktop windows because I like the large screen and because I have it.

Ipad for travel, or sitting in other places in the house.

DW moved to ipad eight years ago. She does not bother with the desktop.

I like having both.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom