Considering Moving from Android to Apple

Toast

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been looking at tablets and cell phones for several months and am leaning toward an iPad or iPad mini and perhaps even an iPhone. This is not a decision that needs to be made anytime soon. Just browsing and considering.

As a lifelong Android user, my question is for folks who transitioned to Apple. Was there a learning curve and are you happy with your purchase(s)? What did you purchase? If anyone was in a similar situation and decided to stick with Android, I'd love to hear your thoughts as well.

Thanks!

The people I know that have androids generally are people that like to tinker with their phones and the apps. I view Apple as basically plug and play. The other issue is generally that Apple equipment is expensive compared to many of the android counterparts.

My SIL has both and I don't think you'll have any issues making the transition. However, one of the things that I really like about my iPad is that it ties in and sync's with my iPhone pretty much seamlessly. So much so that when I get a new computer, a Mac will me one I consider. Just not sure about moving my main computer over to Apple.

FWIW, my 7yo granddaughter has an android at home and uses one of our older iPads when here. She doesn't seem to have any issues with using either one. She does say that she likes the iPad better, but I think that's just because it has some apps that aren't on her tablet at home.

Wife who never wanted an iPhone and thought them too expensive and breaks or loses her phones regularly… accepted one as a gift since my photos were always so much better than hers. She also want to start tracking her fitness and I gave her my old Apple Watch. Sure there is some learning and getting the settings right but she is hooked. Has to make her rings everyday, loves being able to quick preview messages without having to get the phone out, haven’t had to call her phone to help her find it since the switch over as her watch can do it for her. She loves it!

Yeah, that watch just sneaks into your life and becomes indispensable!

Also the fitness rings are really good motivation for us older folks. I really enjoy the whole Apple fitness program.

Yeah, that watch just sneaks into your life and becomes indispensable!

Also the fitness rings are really good motivation for us older folks. I really enjoy the whole Apple fitness program.

+1

My first Apple device was an iPad in 2011, it was a gift I never would have bought myself. I liked it so much, that when my Android phone got old, I got an iPhone and loved it. Finally after over 30 years in the Windows eco system, DW and I switched to Macs last year and were thrilled. They just work, and they sync with each other brilliantly. We’d never go back to the Android or Windows worlds. That said, I am sure Android is every bit as good as iOS, I just prefer Apple’s approach to privacy. They’re not perfect, but I don’t trust Google any more than I have to. YMMV

The most annoying thing I found is having to purchase any paid apps all over again, since Google Play store and Apple app store each demand their tribute. Other than that, the shortcuts and such are pretty intuitive, they've been refining them for years.

My first Apple device was an iPad in 2011, it was a gift I never would have bought myself. I liked it so much, that when my Android phone got old, I got an iPhone and loved it. Finally after over 30 years in the Windows eco system, DW and I switched to Macs last year and were thrilled. They just work, and they sync with each other brilliantly. We’d never go back to the Android or Windows worlds. That said, I am sure Android is every bit as good as iOS, I just prefer Apple’s approach to privacy. They’re not perfect, but I don’t trust Google any more than I have to. YMMV

That pretty much sums it up for myself and my wife.

First iPad in 2012, then first iPhone in 2015, and finally a MacBook Air for each of us in 2016 to transition from Windows.

We just bought iPhone 13s yesterday and the transition was very easy as usual, although I did learn from a past mistake. Don't wipe the old phone until you have transitioned the authenticator apps, because it is very easy to do if you still have the authenticator apps on the old phone to aid the transition.

Thank you all for all of your insights and tips.

I had read that Apple privacy is better so thanks for confirming that.

If I make the decision to purchase, should I wait to see if there are Black Friday deals? I was chatting with a co-worker and he mentioned that Apple doesn't tend to have sales and discounts. Is this true?

If I make the decision to purchase, should I wait to see if there are Black Friday deals? I was chatting with a co-worker and he mentioned that Apple doesn't tend to have sales and discounts. Is this true?
In my experience the price used to be absolute across vendors, although I feel like I've noticed more gray market and refurbished deals lately. If you have someone you trust who is a student, teacher, or government worker, Apple used to offer a 5% discount to those in education or government, I don't know if that's still the case.

Yes, it’s true. Apple doesn’t give Black Friday discounts on their main devices. They more typically offer some deals on inexpensive peripheral devices like the AirTags.

I was chatting with a co-worker and he mentioned that Apple doesn't tend to have sales and discounts. Is this true?

Not true.
First, you can usually buy many Apple products at a discount from sources like Amazon or Best Buy.

Second, whenever Apple introduces a new model of something, the previous version goes on sale.

I watched the video and found it interesting that in spite of these inconveniences he did switch to an iPhone.

I've always heard that the way of doing things (swipe "commands" and such) are pretty different between Android and Apple. Is that true?

I've only used Android.

I've always heard that the way of doing things (swipe "commands" and such) are pretty different between Android and Apple. Is that true?

I've only used Android.
Well, it's been a while since I've used an iPhone, but the biggest change I can remember is that while both have a "home" button on the bottom center, Android has an app switcher to the left of that and a back button to the right of that, and iPhones rely on the software for a back button and I don't remember an app switcher (I think I had to hit home and tap the icon for the suspended app). IMO those kinds of changes are very easy to get used to, it only takes a fraction of a second to remember and correct myself, and then maybe a (very) few weeks of correcting myself before it becomes second nature.

Last edited:
I switched from Apple to Android 5 years ago, but my wife remains on Apple. I use an iPad, so I don’t have integration between devices. I’m just not a fan of the proprietary nature of Apple. Things like not being able to open a .ics calendar invitation. If it’s not Apple’s format for their calendar app, forget being able to use it with an Apple device, even if you have an app like Google calendar installed. However, I am a fan of their enhanced security.

Well, it's been a while since I've used an iPhone, but the biggest change I can remember is that while both have a "home" button on the bottom center, Android has an app switcher to the left of that and a back button to the right of that,

Android has the option of having the old navigation buttons on the bottom of the screen but nowadays the factory default is swiping gestures.

Also, on stock Android with the 3-button navigation system the buttons are Back button on the bottom left of the screen, Home button in the middle bottom of the screen, and Apps Open button on the right bottom of the screen.

I believe you are describing Samsung's configuration. Samsung places the Back button on the bottom right of the screen and the Apps button on the bottom left of the screen.

Not true.
First, you can usually buy many Apple products at a discount from sources like Amazon or Best Buy.

Second, whenever Apple introduces a new model of something, the previous version goes on sale.

In store, not on the web, at Costco you can get pretty great deals on the previous models. I bought a watch and iPad there significantly less than elsewhere.

Thanks for mentioning Costco. I have a membership, but haven't looked there.

I do not currently own a tablet of any kind. Any thoughts on iPad vs iPad mini? The primary use would be reading books, browsing the internet, checking email, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom