Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2020, 03:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I connected my computer to my 65" 4K TV and use it from my recliner with a wireless mouse and keyboard. I don't think I'll ever return to a standard computer desk/chair/monitor setup.
Right now, since my cataract surgery, I have no problems seeing things on my 17" Dell laptop. But I am a realist and I expect that sooner or later, I will want to have a big screen TV setup like yours.

I have two (old) big flat-screen plasma TVs that I hardly ever use, one 55" Panasonic and one 60" Samsung. Perhaps I could put of those into service as a computer monitor some day. Not right now, though; I am happy with my 17" laptop screen.

F bought a 32" monitor dirt cheap on a Black Friday sale, and uses that for his computer screen.

Here's something to keep in the back of one's mind for the later years: My brothers arranged a projection system to project my mother's computer screen image onto a big, empty white wall, eight feet high. She loved it! Finally something big enough that she could see it clearly, even in her late nineties, despite her failing vision at that age. I have no idea how they did it but I have about 25 years to figure it out.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I connected my computer to my 65" 4K TV and use it from my recliner with a wireless mouse and keyboard. I don't think I'll ever return to a standard computer desk/chair/monitor setup.

Does that work well for things like browsing this forum? I never really thought of it other than maybe like watching movies. . . but maybe I am missing out!
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
Does that work well for things like browsing this forum? I never really thought of it other than maybe like watching movies. . . but maybe I am missing out!
I'm about 8'-9' away and text is perfectly clear and easy to read. It also frees up space where the computer station used to be.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #24

Wife just got flat LG 34” 1440x2560, and I will be getting a curved Viotek 34” 2560 x 3440.

After trying hers, I prefer the curved as it is more ergonomic.

Advantage of this size is that it allows two complete docs to be open at the same time.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Thank you for the recommendations. I think my research today led me down the path of an IPS monitor for the sharpness and clarity you mentioned. And while I did start out saying I was looking for a 24-25" monitor, I think 27" would work just fine. 32" may or may not be a bit large given how close I set to the desk.

Since I don't ever anticipate getting into gaming, will a typical 60Hz monitor be sufficient? Or would there be some benefit to one with a higher refresh rate? Seems like those with say 144Hz refresh rates would be overkill, but I am seeing some with 75Hz rates (ViewSonic comes to mind).
Higher refresh is better, but not critical outside of gaming. I would go with 75 over 60 if the price was similar.

I have a 144 hz, low refresh, 2K, 27 incher as my middle monitor for gaming and general use. Flanked by two 144 hz, 1080, 24 inch monitors. But that that adds up to a few bucks.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:56 PM   #26

I've tried lower and higher res on a couple of smaller versions of these monitors - I was certain it wouldn't matter, but the 34" 2560x3440 was noticeably easier to use, to look at for longer period ... less strain ... and the price is waaaay easier than it used to be.

I knew I didn't want two monitors - a big 34" solved it - and the curve is just gravy!
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #27

I’d go with 4K if you think you’ll want to watch a movie on it. I’d also go with the larger 32” if it will fit in your space.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #28

Go as big as your space will allow. Don't worry about font size as your browser doesn't have to be full screen. Also I like my curved screen, it's subtle but just a nice touch.

Currently have a 27" but I think I've had it long enough to justify an upgrade.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Go as big as your space will allow. Don't worry about font size as your browser doesn't have to be full screen. Also I like my curved screen, it's subtle but just a nice touch.

Currently have a 27" but I think I've had it long enough to justify an upgrade.
Right now I have a laptop that is plugged into a 22 inch vizio tv. Works quite well and you also can see streamed tv on it, using the built in streaming from vizio. (smartcast) Now one interesting thing is the colors on the two screens do differ a bit. Am awaiting the arrival of an intel NUC 10 where it will be the monitor. Also have a 40 inch tv plugged into an older lap top and youtube videos of folks driving down roads look quite good on it. So consider carefully between a monitor and a tv in particular get one with 4k capability and you can go up somewhat in resolution. Watch carefully on the smaller tvs and be sure they go 1080 p not 720p.

Also using the computer the monitor can serve as a digital picture frame when not otherwise in use.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:50 PM   #30
gone traveling

Ask and you will receive
https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...s-at-ces-2020/

Quote:
I would like to purchase a new monitor...price isn't an issue.
Perhaps
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69676...020/index.html
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
That's some pretty pricey monitors at CES.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Since I don't ever anticipate getting into gaming, will a typical 60Hz monitor be sufficient? Or would there be some benefit to one with a higher refresh rate? Seems like those with say 144Hz refresh rates would be overkill, but I am seeing some with 75Hz rates (ViewSonic comes to mind).
Don't underestimate the ability of your system to stream news and sports, or even movies.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Now one interesting thing is the colors on the two screens do differ a bit
Yup that is always the case. That's why when online shopping, sometimes there will be a note on an item about color may be slightly different, etc., and usually lots of reviews "i thought this would be more pink/blue/yellow etc."
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:55 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I love my 27" 4K Dell. I use it mostly for photo editing and the size is great. No problem with text size.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:29 AM   #35

If you do photo or video editing, I would recommend a 32" Samsung 4K monitor. I bought one last year for about $200 on Ebay with free shipping.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:12 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I love my 27" 4K Dell. I use it mostly for photo editing and the size is great. No problem with text size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
If you do photo or video editing, I would recommend a 32" Samsung 4K monitor. I bought one last year for about $200 on Ebay with free shipping.
I do some photo and video editing, but not a lot. It isn't my main criteria for a monitor. Mostly documents, spreadsheets, browsing, ... Some video playback, but nothing 4K. Heck, our two TVs are old-school, circa-2014 1080p 55" panels, and at the moment, we see no rush to move to 4K TVs.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #37

Interesting thread. Our main desktop PC in the office has three 22" monitors. I love all the screen real estate. I don't think I could work any other way.

But they are all 8-10 years old running at 1680 X 1050 with DVI connections from two separate aging graphic cards. The monitors are all different brands that Ive accumulated over the years. None of them match exactly, with different support stand designs and slightly different bezel sizes. But they are all at the same height and I've adjusted the brightness and other parameters so they all look the same. This has worked extremely well for us for many years.

But one of them is starting to fail. I think it's a power supply issue. Screen goes black right after it wakes up and has to be power-cycled once or twice to stay on. Anyway, it's hanging on to life for now. But I'm also due for a new PC build this year. So maybe in the spirit of BTD, I'll upgrade both the PC and the monitors. I really like the sharpness of IPS and 4K monitors I've seen. Three 24" 4K IPS would be amazing but pretty expensive.

I'm not a gamer, but I do watch a fair amount of video on that PC. Although it's mainly used for documents, spreadsheets, SketchUp, photo/video editing, some music production, as well as online shopping and financial transactions... often multiple things at the same time, which is where the 3 monitors work well. DW and I do most casual browsing, email, etc on our smartphones.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 27” iMac. Great for photo editing. And I use my 15” MacBook at the same time doing other things.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #39

Last time I needed monitors, I went to dealnews and bought the size I wanted, ignoring brand, just concentrating on price. I ended up with Acer. They work. I have them in a kind of wrap around configuration on those articulated arms. I position them so that by rotating my head, I'm looking straight at each. I like that the arms keep them up off the desk.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #40

Quote:
I Heck, our two TVs are old-school, circa-2014 1080p 55" panels, and at the moment, we see no rush to move to 4K TVs.

Not much is broadcast in 4K is it? (I might be out of date).
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote