Does anyone use Roku?

You can skip the part on Roku setup regarding a payment method. We did on all 3 registrations of ours, 2 Roku TV's and one Roku HDMI device. Our most recent registration was a week ago.

You can skip the part on Roku setup regarding a payment method. We did on all 3 registrations of ours, 2 Roku TV's and one Roku HDMI device. Our most recent registration was a week ago.

I apparently put in a credit card years ago. This card is dead and buried.

I guess there are things you can accidentally do on Roku requiring payment, but I haven't run into them yet.

I couldn't create a Roku account without some form of payment. So, I added our PayPal account, and after it was accepted, I deleted it as a form of payment. I also went to our PayPal account and inactivated the Roku link.

Using a Roku Streaming Stick 4k, all looks good except I'm stuck on the tiles screen. It has been updated to the six "channels" I selected online when setting up the account, but it is just frozen there. Even rebooting the Roku (I power-cycled it - I know no other way to do it) brings up the Roku "bouncing" screen, followed by the tiles screen that is just locked. OK button doesn't work. Neither do the arrow keys, the "*" (options) button, the home or back arrow keys. The remote works fine powering on and off the TV, along with the volume and mute buttons.

I'm stumped right now, and quite frankly, already annoyed. I'm pretty good with tech, but it's got to be easier than this.

I couldn't create a Roku account without some form of payment. So, I added our PayPal account, and after it was accepted, I deleted it as a form of payment. I also went to our PayPal account and inactivated the Roku link.

Using a Roku Streaming Stick 4k, all looks good except I'm stuck on the tiles screen. It has been updated to the six "channels" I selected online when setting up the account, but it is just frozen there. Even rebooting the Roku (I power-cycled it - I know no other way to do it) brings up the Roku "bouncing" screen, followed by the tiles screen that is just locked. OK button doesn't work. Neither do the arrow keys, the "*" (options) button, the home or back arrow keys. The remote works fine powering on and off the TV, along with the volume and mute buttons.

I'm stumped right now, and quite frankly, already annoyed. I'm pretty good with tech, but it's got to be easier than this.

Are you connected to WiFi?

Are you connected to WiFi?
Yes.

For some reason, while on Chat with Roku, the device started working. I've been able to stream some of the free shows without an issue (Cold Cases, House, etc.). I'm baffled why it hung up for so long, and why it's working now.

Last edited:
https://support.roku.com/
Here is the link for the support chat. Perhaps someone there can give you a reason.
For some reason, while on Chat with Roku, the device started working.
As indicated, I already did that. They appeared to be using a playbook, similar to what we would get from the cable company. Tried to blame it on the remote and it needing to be re-paired. But by the time they suggested this, the streaming device and remote were working just fine.

Along the lines of the remote, the chat representative indicated that sometimes the HDMI cable extender (which Roku will ship for free, usually for tight fits behind the TV) will help place the remote sensor in a better position for the remote. Despite the fact that I told chat I had taken the remote right up to the *back* of the TV (before it started working). But since it was free, I went ahead and ordered one. Expected ship date is April 7th. SMH. :rolleyes:

Maybe it was updating its firmware. Seems like everything I buy needs to be updated before it will work.

Fired up my Hisense Roku TV last night (7:15pm CST) and all I got was the TV logo screen that pops up upon initial power-on. TV was basically frozen on this screen.

Googling had this solution: Unplug for 1 minute, plug back in, turn on with power button on TV instead of remote. Nope, nothing. Stuck on TV logo screen again. Noticed the red power LED light was flashing. Hmmm...

Another proposed solution: Unplug, then hold down TV power-on/off button for at least 15 seconds. After one minute unplugged, plug back in, turn on with power button on TV instead of remote. Nope, nothing. Still stuck on TV logo screen.

Another solution: Unplug all outboard items (cable box, blu-ray player, Amazon firesticks, gaming consoles, etc.) from all inputs of the TV. Unplug for 1 minute, plug back in, turn on with power button on TV. Well, this is stupid. What possible difference could it make to the TV working if there was something plugged into an HDMI port?

After about an hour of messing around with the TV with no progress I grudgingly unplugged all devices plugged into HDMI input ports on my TV, unplugged the power cord, replugged and powered on. SUCCESS! Huh, learn something new everyday, right?

Then I read today that the Roku network suffered a service outage last night around 7:00 pm CST and was fully resolved around 10 pm. So all my machinations with the power outlet and cable removals was in vain. It was a system wide problem.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/19/22892590/roku-service-outage-frozen-tv-streaming-sticks

Last edited:
Maybe it was updating its firmware. Seems like everything I buy needs to be updated before it will work.
It actually updated when it was first connected to the TV, although I guess there could be a difference between a software update and a firmware update. This is our first streaming device, so it's all new to me.

FWIW, when I turned on the TV to the Roku a little while ago, it came right up and worked fine. I wanted to watch a show that was provided by Pluto TV, so added the Pluto TV channel without a hitch.

I was watching OTA TV using the Tablo app on the Roku at that time and had no issues whatsoever. Hmmm. Must have been in just a certain area(s).

Back
Top Bottom