Dune the remake!

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
If at first you don’t succeed, try try again. Reading The Verge yesterday I saw a trailer for the new Dune film. It’s here. One of my favorite books. Fear is the mind killer ...

I had no idea this was underway. It’s been done before with moderate success, it’s a great adventure story but not easy to transfer to film. This time around they’ve split it into two parts. The first is scheduled for release on December 18, no news on Part 2. This will definitely need a big screen to appreciate.

One of my favorite books as well. I really hope I'll be able to see it in a theater.

"Only I will remain."

First of all definitely no substitute for reading the book which is complex but very rich and full of detailed background supporting the character development. It is one of the best science fiction works of all time. I admit I am partial to the 1984 film which was kind of funky and very David Lynch but has a rather cult feel to it. The 2000 miniseries was a disaster. I am reserving judgement on this one (I am not a huge Timothée Chalamet fan). I guess anything that stimulates a new generation's interest in going back to read the book is good.

Having never read the book, is this a case where I should read it beforehand? Everything I've heard about this is that it is a complex story. Looking forward to this film as I really like the director's (Denis Villeneuve) previous films.

That was the second worse movie I have seen, behind fish called Wanda

It is an acquired taste. Even more humorous with the crossover connection of actors to "Twin Peaks"

I liked "A Fish Called Wanda" :(:(:(:(

Also one of my favorites. There’s no way to get it all into a movie or two but hopefully this attempt will be better than previous efforts. I always thought an HBO type treatment over two or three seasons might get the job done.

Definitely read the book(s). I have a terrible time keeping names and character's backstories straight, so I probably missed a lot of nuance, but it's still a great epic story.

I can't imagine seeing the movie first would be a good thing.

Love both Dune and A Fish Called Wanda :). As does DH.

The trailer looked awesome, the issues with the original seemed to stem from there being too much book to make one film.

Too bad it's an "in theatre" release, gonna have to wait for it to stream somewhere.

Yep, saw the trailer for Dune and have some hopes, though the last film versions left me real cold. Between Dune and Stranger In a Strange Land I was a pretty happy reader/repeat reader.

At least this one looks somewhat like what I saw in my mind's eye reading the book. The trailer for the new Foundation miniseries coming next year to Apple TV+ has me expecting that one to look as much like Asimov's vision as the I, Robot movie did.

I did like the Pink Floyd music on the Dune trailer.

I read Dune. Are the 5 sequels worth reading?

Dune Messiah is kind of a bridge book but an easy read
Children of Dune -- solidly good
God Emperor of Dune -- Awesome!

goes down hill from there.

BTW I have found the Litany of Fear handy throughout life:

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."​

The trailer looks promising. I did not like the 'weirding modules' in the earlier movie. I recently finished the 19 books of the Frank + Brian Herbert anthology, after having read the original 6 years ago.

Too bad it is being released during a pandemic. I prefer seeing movies with special effects in Imax 3D, and I won't go to the theater now. So I'll wait until it's available to watch at home as well. Maybe it will be re-released. I read the Dune series, as a teenager, but lost interest after the 3rd book. Seeing the trailer, I think this has the promise of bringing the series to life. The earlier movie version was a dud.

I remember when the 1984 movie came out, people found it so confusing that movie theaters were handing out cheat-sheets when you entered the theater - a small card listing the main characters and their role in the storyline. I hope this new one is better, I am looking forward to it!

It is an acquired taste. Even more humorous with the crossover connection of actors to "Twin Peaks"

I liked "A Fish Called Wanda" :(:(:(:(
Different strokes. A Fish Called Wanda is one of my favorite movies of all time. I thought the Dune with Sting in it was boring, but we’ll give the new version a try.

Book - good but not among my favorites
Movie - worse than awful

I have not read the book. I had heard so much about it when I was younger, however, I tried reading it a couple of times, just could not get into it.
And for some reason, as I have gotten older, I just don't go to movie theaters any more. It is so expensive! I can wait until it comes out in video and stream it at home :)

Haven't seen Fish since it came out, but recall laughing constantly throughout.

Although I love fantasy, I'm not a Dune fan. It just never resonated with me. I couldn't stand Paul.

Different strokes. A Fish Called Wanda is one of my favorite movies of all time. I thought the Dune with Sting in it was boring, but we’ll give the new version a try.

Back
Top Bottom