Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2019, 07:34 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Be sure you use something like wipe disk on any computer hard drive or simply remove the drive from the computer and physically destroy it with a hammer...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
Be sure you use something like wipe disk on any computer hard drive or simply remove the drive from the computer and physically destroy it with a hammer...

I use DBAN, because I'm usually re-using the drive or giving it away, but you can also physically destroy it. I find the easiest way is to open the drive and drill a lot of holes in the platter. Whether you use a hammer or a drill, it's pretty satisfying.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #23

I’ve kept every hard drive I’ve ever had. I guess I should save some space and destroy them.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 PM   #24

Electronics Disposal

Deleted
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:23 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've found that the older cases made of aluminum make nice incense holders once disassembled. I removed everything except for head and armature. This has small holes along the arm that can hold the end of stick incense.
I usually send the stack of parts to recycling. The platters can be mutilated by your favorite method.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:06 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
The platters can be mutilated by your favorite method.
  • Angle grinders
  • Drills
  • Vise and hammer
  • Shears
  • Hacksaws
  • Bench grinders
  • Foot stomp
  • Torch
  • Magnet

Had fun with all of them. I never leave a platter intact.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:18 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I line the bottom of backyard firepit with platters. Eventually they become crumbled bits of metallic substance mixed in with ash.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Denver has restrictions on the disposal of Electronic items -- at one time there was a huge fine ($500?) for putting TVs, computers, etc. in your trash) but I could find no mention of it now. The specific "instructions" of what you can do are listed here:

https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...rc-cpage=41361
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Whether you use a hammer or a drill, it's pretty satisfying.

Agreed![emoji108]
Old 07-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #30

We can drop off all e-waste at Goodwill. There is no fee. I've seen large TVs in their e-waste bin while I dropping off other items.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

With computers, yeah I remove the HD and drill 4 holes through it right where the discs are then toss it back in the computer case and leave it on the sidewalk for pickup.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The power supply from a desktop makes a nice workshop test voltage source.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
The power supply from a desktop makes a nice workshop test voltage source.

Interesting! Can anyone tell me, is it important to solder the ground/power on wires rather than use wire nuts? My only real experience with wiring is with household 120v wiring, so I mostly twist and tape or use a wire nut. I can see why you'd want to solder the connectors to the bunched yellow and black wires, but my first thought was to cut the green and black wires much shorter, then use a wire nut to connect them.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Interesting! Can anyone tell me, is it important to solder the ground/power on wires rather than use wire nuts? My only real experience with wiring is with household 120v wiring, so I mostly twist and tape or use a wire nut. I can see why you'd want to solder the connectors to the bunched yellow and black wires, but my first thought was to cut the green and black wires much shorter, then use a wire nut to connect them.
Wire nuts are fine. I'd add that there are lots of YouTube videos on this hack and for only a little more effort, you can get 3, 5 and 12 volt outputs. The 5 volt output makes a kick butt phone charger.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:45 PM   #35

We had an old 27'" television that I wanted to get rid of.

My idea: unfold a tarp in the driveway, set said tv on it, fold flap of tarp over TV and smash it with the front end loader of my tractor. Fold up the mess and drop it into the dumpster.
Easy-peasy right.

DW was appalled. Take it to the county transfer station she says.

Okay so I load the old TV into the back of the pickup, securing with rope and countless granny knots and drive to the disposal site. After paying the $32 minimum disposal charge and being directed to back into bay #1, the transfer station associate sweeps the tv off the back of the truck exploding the tv tube followed by associate #2 who crushes it with the front end loader of a bobcat and sweeps into the pile of other detritus comprised of household and construction waste.

Learn learned: SSS (smashit, shovelit, shutup)
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Unfortunately, electronics products can contain toxic substances, such as lead, mercury, and cadmium, which all must be disposed of carefully. How would that method handle those things? Just let it seep into the aquafer?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Unfortunately, electronics products can contain toxic substances, such as lead, mercury, and cadmium, which all must be disposed of carefully. How would that method handle those things? Just let it seep into the aquafer?
Indeed. Always comply with federal, state, county, city and/or township disposal ordinances as may apply.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
......... After paying the $32 minimum disposal charge and being directed to back into bay #1, the transfer station associate sweeps the tv off the back of the truck exploding the tv tube followed by associate #2 who crushes it with the front end loader of a bobcat and sweeps into the pile of other detritus comprised of household and construction waste............
That was totally irresponsible of the transfer station employee and would not only get him fired at our local transfer station, but maybe jailed as well. There is nasty stuff inside a TV picture tube.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We had an old 27'" television that I wanted to get rid of.

My idea: unfold a tarp in the driveway, set said tv on it, fold flap of tarp over TV and smash it with the front end loader of my tractor. Fold up the mess and drop it into the dumpster.
Easy-peasy right.

DW was appalled. Take it to the county transfer station she says.

Okay so I load the old TV into the back of the pickup, securing with rope and countless granny knots and drive to the disposal site. After paying the $32 minimum disposal charge and being directed to back into bay #1, the transfer station associate sweeps the tv off the back of the truck exploding the tv tube followed by associate #2 who crushes it with the front end loader of a bobcat and sweeps into the pile of other detritus comprised of household and construction waste.

Zedd, around these parts, we just put it out on the curb at night and the next morning it is magically gone.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

How many millions of homes had TV's from the early 50's on.... ?
How many TV's?

Where did they all go?

Today, at least... where we live, before a "dump" is authorized, a layer of concrete insulation is laid in the depression. How much good it does is questionable, but most of US will live through it.

We've decided to not have any more kids.