Elon Musk's Starlink Satellite Internet

We used to have DIRECTV. Does anybody know if I could mount the dish in that old location and then with the wiring which is coax work with Starlink?

You can reuse the mount if you still have it (which is what I did). But the cable is a special POE (power over ethernet) cable which is directly attached to the dish. That will need to be run into the house to connect to the power brick and their router or your own router.

My cousin spent the day with me last week, and he's looked into getting Starlink. Note: He used to work at a NASA subcontractor at a doctorate level job in computers.

We have Starlilnk available right now. But our current internet is very fast, and I was told there's no benefit from going with Starlink. But if I lived in Montana or somewhere the internet was either weak or not available, Starlink would be the thing.

They still have bugs to work out of the system. But much of the remote parts of the world will eventually be using it when that's all that's available.

I live in a remote part of MT and just to let you know....We have DSL internet and it works well. Our cell phones work amazing well too. Our local provider is installing lots of fiber optic cable and service is so much better and cheaper than our previous internet service in the Sierra Nevada Mtn of CA. Internet and cell service was terrible there, not to mention the electricity went out then no internet and cell towers would overload. I suppose my expectations are based on what I had in CA compared to what I have in MT. I still have issues with the cell phone cost, combined with the DSL cost plus then add the Satellite radio cost. Wish there was one plan that worked well and one cost.

Can starlink have telphone as well, like on Comcast's router?

Can starlink have telphone as well, like on Comcast's router?
It's just an IP network; it doesn't know what the data packets it's carrying are doing. So any VoIP phone service (Ooma, etc.) should work fine. I would confirm with them, though. It's probably technically possible for them to block VoIP but I don't know why they would do it.

^Thanks, it would be useful at my camp, as cell service is non-existent.

^Thanks, it would be useful at my camp, as cell service is non-existent.
Some cell phones will use WiFi when it is available, like Google Fi phones. In that case you would not need a VoIP carrier. Your cell phones would just work. That's the theory anyway.

Some cell phones will use WiFi when it is available, like Google Fi phones. In that case you would not need a VoIP carrier. Your cell phones would just work. That's the theory anyway.

My cell phone works great on Starlink with wifi

I was going to recommend Netalyzr to put some numbers on the latency (important for voip), but it's no longer available. There's a speed test on DSL Reports that might help.

I was going to recommend Netalyzr to put some numbers on the latency (important for voip), but it's no longer available. There's a speed test on DSL Reports that might help.

My latency with Starlink is about the same as it is for DSL... around 30ms which is fine for VOIP...

This sounds great. Years ago, I had HughsNet, but the latency was bad. And they were quick to throttle with seemingly normal usage.

It doesn't sound like Starlink has these problems:confused:

This sounds great. Years ago, I had HughsNet, but the latency was bad. And they were quick to throttle with seemingly normal usage.

It doesn't sound like Starlink has these problems:confused:
Starlink satellites are a LOT lower, like 350 miles above earth, while HughesNet sats were 22,000 miles. That's why there's a big difference in latency. I have no knowledge of bandwidth and throttling on Starlink.

Starlink satellites are a LOT lower, like 350 miles above earth, while HughesNet sats were 22,000 miles. That's why there's a big difference in latency. I have no knowledge of bandwidth and throttling on Starlink.
Yeah. The geosynchronous birds are a long ways away because that's where the orbit has to be for the numbers to work. Aka a Clarke orbit. That's why, for example, you see awkward pauses in conversations between network news people at home base and people in the field. But those birds stay in one place. LEO (Low Earth Orbit) puts the birds much closer but they are always transiting overhead, so the connections have to be handed off as one bird fades and another is ascendant.

Latency does cause a delay in response when using a geosynchronous satellite for phone conversations. That is something all such satellites have. The HughesNet sat that I used for a painfull 2 years had a problem with jitter which is a changing receive time. Phone conversations were so garbled they were useless. The problem showed up just as the cancel time passed. I switched to another satellite carrier and have not had that problem since. I still have a delay, but I can live with that until Starlink is available.

We moved to a rural home and started with Viasat. We hit the throttle limit in a week so it was really painful month. We fortunately got T-Mobile Home Internet(which is still limited availability for customers) next month. The latency was good which is important since I work over remote desktop. Speed was OK on 4G band, about 3 Mbps to 25 Mbps. Generally on low side when I need it during the day. T-Mobile upgraded the tower to 5G next month and now I consistently see speeds in 50 Mbps to 100 Mbps range. I hope they don't sell to many tickets either! Miracle.

The review is relatively accurate. I have it and I like it. But I am in Big Sky Country. And I have a chain saw and know how to use it. And my signal is not threatened by nearby neighbors building a two story house or planting a tree.

Anyone who has broadband internet available through other means will not be happy with this. Most of the country can’t even afford this when they can get decent service for $20. Frankly, I’m hoping they will at least double or triple the initial cost and the monthly price. All my other satellite providers were great until they sold too many people tickets on one bus. The Hughesnet Gen 5 bus looked like a train in India with people hanging all over it. From great to worthless in a few years. Covid killed it as people started working from home.

Even in very rural Montana I can see this won’t work for most of my neighbors. They either have too many trees or too many mountains. And these dishes point elsewhere from traditional sat services. Just because one could receive them does NOT mean you can get Starlink. It’s a whole different slice of the sky. A really BIG one as the article mentions.

Have had it since February and it’s been excellent. One single day where it was down for 20 minutes, other than that nothing but fast speed and no issues. Google Mesh tests speeds daily and current average over past 30 days is 168 mbps. Friday family movie night streaming a 4K movie is uneventful with zero buffering. We had our dish mounted at ground level until the snow melted and then had it installed up on the peak of the roof so very clear view of the sky not affected by surrounding forest.

That being said we just bought a new hundred acre property and a local small Internet company is currently installing fibre cable on our road has a flyer offering some very fast speeds up to 1 gbps for not a lot of money so once we build a house there I’m sure we will be going with the fiber.

In the meantime we are very very thankful for Starlink and give it a solid 10/10 review.

I just read a review of StarLink on The Verge. It seems relatively truthful and unbiased, so I thought I'd share it here. It sounds like this isn't going to be the solution to everything anytime soon, but we can always hope.

STARLINK REVIEW: BROADBAND DREAMS FALL TO EARTH

Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.

Count me amongst the overly optimistic waiting for our dishy.:(

SpaceX launches 100s of those satellites every month. The other players in that market are in Washington pleading for someone/anyone to stop or slow SpaceX down. I believe the network issues now being experienced are due to the limited number of satellites which is increasing every month. Once starship becomes operational things get really interesting.

After a year of waiting, our "dishy" (Gen 2) will arrive tomorrow. I don't have any good idea on how I am going to install it. I anticipate tree issues.

Lots of neighbors and other folks in the county receiving theirs as well.

I was in the early release and backed off because of the same issues. Since then I found a local computer shop that says he'll help me install it. I'll have to go on the roof because of trees. Good luck.

Been watching several of the Starlink rocket launches past 3 months here in FL near Cape Canaveral. Pretty cool seeing all of the launches, majority have been Starlink.

My guess is that all antennas that were not in the shipment pipeline have been diverted to Ukraine. I had been notified a couple months ago that I would get one this summer. That is OK with me. I can wait.

Arrived today. Set up time from cutting the tape on the box to getting a pretty good download speed was 15 minutes. I literally set the antenna on its stand in the driveway - plenty of trees around, but a decent view of the (high) northern sky. The router is on the covered front porch. For now, this is an amazing transformation for us, internet access-wise.

Back
Top Bottom