Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Email Spam - How much do you get?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Email Spam - How much do you get?

I use Gmail, which does a pretty good job allocating the right emails to my spam folder. I used to check it monthly, and delete 20-30. Lately, I have noticed I am getting 10 or more a day, mostly like these.

Has anyone else noticed a recent up tick in spam?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every few months I will get an up-tick in spam for a few weeks. I dutifully report each email as spam by clicking on the appropriate button. After a while either the spammers give up, or the spam blockers have taken care of the problem. I don't know which.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #3

I rarely get email spam that makes it beyond the various filters (both gmail and Apple mail).

By far the larger problem for me is phone SPAM.

At least with email SPAM there is a technology solution - scanning the text of the emails. With phone SPAM all you have is the number and until they stop allowing folks to use fake numbers, it's hard to see a solution.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I probably get about 10-15 spam emails a day.

My spam filter (use email reader, not web based) does a really good job of identifying and routing the spam to the junk folder as long as I keep up with the marking/training of what is spam.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have a different email that I use when some site wants an email address. That one gets a bunch of spam. Gmail, not so much. Some days none, some days a couple. I don't think I've ever had 10 in a day. Most of gmail is in my spam folder, not my inbox.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I have a different email that I use when some site wants an email address. That one gets a bunch of spam. Gmail, not so much. Some days none, some days a couple. I don't think I've ever had 10 in a day. Most of gmail is in my spam folder, not my inbox.
I do this as well, sort of a 'sacrificial' email account, where I don't worry about who's going to get their hands on it.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Don't get too much spam either.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I enroll on websites using my internet suppliers assigned email ID and they have a good spam screen. Then I forward the result to hotmail and hotmail also moves stuff to junk so not much gets to my inbox.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #9

Thanks all for your responses. In addition to a spam folder, Gmail also has a Promotions folder. This gets most of the emails from internet sites, which I am not counting as spam in this situation, though I should probably tag several that way since I never look at them.

What I have seen in the Spam folder is a sharp increase in Scams, as you can see from my example. On occasion, in the past, I have opened one or two just to see the whole scam. I know better than to do that now, but I am guessing this identified my email as active and "interested" and the address was sold/distributed to others.

At least the filters are working, so the useful inbox is not overloaded.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I very rarely received any spam until late July of 2016, when Fidelity found some of my personal info on the Dark Web. While there was no actual account hacking, Fido did wash my account and gave me new account numbers, after I got my hard drive cleaned (it was actually not working well and got replaced).

But that's when my spam email began flooding my email. It took a while for me to figure out how to filter it out. I set my spam filter to its strictest setting, which had the effect of sending some legit mail to the Junk Mail folder. I then had to get used to checking that folder for legit email, especially if I began corresponding with new, legit contacts. I use a PC-based email system, but I have to the web-based version to utilize the spam filter, another minor nuisance.

The spam has dropped off some, but I still see 2-3 emails in there per day. I can block domain names, but the spammers change them like every time to make them unique; it's like trying to scoop sand from the ocean! I'd like to use wild cards in the blocked domain names, but that feature isn't available.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Has anyone else noticed a recent up tick in spam?
I haven't seen any recent uptick.

I regularly get 3-10 spam emails per day. All are dutifully relegated to my spam folder by gmail. I seldom check any more.

One trick I use - whenever I register for anything online, I use a gmail address like "myname+sitename@gmail.com". Anything to the right of the + sign is ignored by gmail, so it all ends up in my inbox or spam folder, but I can always read the details.

For example, if I am registering at the reallyfantastictravelplaces web site I would use an email like "myname+reallyfantastic@gmail.com".

That way, if I start getting a batch of spam emails, I know what triggered them.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #12

Rarely, if ever, do I get email spam these days. As was noted by others above, the phone spam is another matter entirely. I think I get a half-dozen fake calls per day, and they never leave a message.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote