Facebook taking it down!

There are many sites other than Facebook that are gathering huge amounts of personal data too, yet there's not nearly as much nervous chatter about those. Someday those people will be surprised by how much Google knows about them too, that after they've been using gmail and Google phone and cloud services for years.

Yes.

As early as 20 years ago, even before Year 2000, I remember Scott McNealy, then the CEO of Sun Microsystems, said that "You never have any privacy anyway. Get over it".

Yes.

As early as 20 years ago, even before Year 2000, I remember Scott McNealy, then the CEO of Sun Microsystems, said that "You never have any privacy anyway. Get over it".
+1
Pre internet there were folks who harvested data about us. It's a new field to harvest from. There's a market for our privacy.

Nothing on FB but my name.
No home town.
No high school
No College
No employer.
I might look through it every couple of weeks, definitely not every day.
But there's facial recognition. A friend can post a photo of you in the background and a few cross references later..........

But there's facial recognition. A friend can post a photo of you in the background and a few cross references later..........
Yeah. Last picture I posted FB asked if the clouds were family.

Google "Shadow Contact Information". Spooky
Only if you perceived that you had privacy in the online community.

The scary part about facebook copying all info about calls/texts people make is that even if you're not on FB they can get a pretty good map of your friends and colleagues from the phones your connections use. And you have no way of opting out of this! That part is beyond sleazebag in my opinion. Closing in on Bond-villains. :mad:

Ironically, it's Musk's AI in the Tesla Autopilot that has killed people. Hah!

I know you are joking and I smiled at the irony too. :blush: But...

Have you drive one? I have - and to use the autopilot you have to have your hands on the wheel. That is after a short period you get an alarm if you don't. And I assume eventually the car will stop - never tested it that far.

This is because it's not capable of handling all situations. So it's the drivers responsibility to take control whenever needed.

In the most recent case AFAIK the driver did not have his hands on the wheel. And the car found a situation the autopilot could not handle. In other words a driver error. :(

People may not read the manual before driving and belive the autopilot can handle anything... :facepalm:

People may not read the manual before driving and belive the autopilot can handle anything... :facepalm:

I would guess the number of people who read their car's owner's manual (as oppose to just looking something up occasionally) is well under 1%.

I'm certainly not in that 1%, but what I find interesting is that when I occasionally do read a complete section of the manual, I usually find very useful information.

Back
Top Bottom