Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2021, 06:59 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like the change and typically I hate change. The spacing of bookmarks is great, farther apart with a larger font, the old font was tiny and the lines very close together. I have dozens of BM, they are all folders, and I find this new layout to be better. The tab fonts are smaller and I have the tool bar but don't really look at it.

I stopped using FF a couple of years ago. Chrome and Brave are fast, FF is literally less than half the speed of them! I have done many speed tests over the past 2 years and FF is just so slow it is painful - ie 94 mbps with Chrome and Brave but 42-47 mbps with FF. All I use FF for now is to get around having to turn off my ad blocker to be able to see a site. I use Reader Mode in FF and can then read it.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Yeah. Better the devil I know. The overall problem with this type of thing is programmers' confusion of "different" with "better." I think it comes from breathing software development air, like asbestosis comes from the air. It screws up critical thinking.

I see Micro$oft will soon be giving us "different" too/June 24 announcement. I can hardly wait.
I beg to differ - these design decisions aren't made by the programmers (at least not in my IT jobs).

The artsy fartsy design teams came up with these stylistic, navigation, and appearance "improvements". We were just innocent bystanders told to implement them, and we complained about them ourselves.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:21 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the new look better than the old. Mostly because of the brighter colored window theme. The previous window title bar (various tabs) was black and has been updated to light gray. I found the black title bar lead to more accidental window focus clicks. As many webpages now use a dark theme, causing the title bar to disappear into the background of another overlapping window. Now it is much easier to navigate IMO.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My biggest gripe applies to both Chrome and FF. I hate that they both auto-play and float any video on the page (mainly ads). Muting the sound is the only option and they intentionally make it difficult to manage. I have actually started playing with the new browser Brave, which allows you to turn off auto-play, but the jury is still out as to if it is overall better or not.
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:08 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmore View Post
My biggest gripe applies to both Chrome and FF. I hate that they both auto-play and float any video on the page (mainly ads). Muting the sound is the only option and they intentionally make it difficult to manage. I have actually started playing with the new browser Brave, which allows you to turn off auto-play, but the jury is still out as to if it is overall better or not.
FF has had this for a while, under Privacy & Security > Permissions:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-06-04 10.06.48.jpg (167.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #26

WOW! I'm a FF user for years, but I just clicked on Edge which I never have used. I just did some time checks to load new threads on this site, Edge loads the pages in well less than 1/2 the time of FF. The problem I have is Edge is full of ads, where FF has none.

Can I add ADblock to Edge and still get the same speed?

EDIT.

I just added Adblocker Plus to Edge, it's still fast.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #27

Edge is just Chrome de-Googled and Microsoft-ed. Same code.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I was a huge FF fan until MS Edge came along. So much faster and easier. AND I can use Chrome extensions with it.
Ncc1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Not sure if I'm describing properly or not. But I just counted that I now have 20 icons on the bookmarks toolbar. Then there is the two right pointing angles for the dropdown. Didn't count how much previously, buy I say maybe 15 icons if lucky.
I only have 10 on mine?
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
I beg to differ - these design decisions aren't made by the programmers (at least not in my IT jobs). ...
Sorry, I was casting a wide net. UI designers are effectively programmers IMO even they aren't directly writing the code. Yes, the coders are probably somewhat innocent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
I have had this switch turned on for a long time and still get plenty of those obnoxious video pop-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncc1701 View Post
I was a huge FF fan until MS Edge came along. So much faster and easier. AND I can use Chrome extensions with it.
I have been a Microsoft hater for so long that it's like a reflex action. The way they crammed Edge down everybody's throat and force-fed the default option was very much in character for them. I use Edge a couple of times a week to display a page that FF, with Adblock and Ghostery, doesn't properly render. Beyond that, no thanks.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #31

I've just now decided I'm in the wait and see if I can be convinced that I should not switch to Edge. My tests showed it loaded ER pages more than twice as fast. But, what is the downside?
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
I have that set to block all, but websites with videos still pop out those videos to the lower corner and very often start playing. Maybe the latest version will be better about preventing it from starting, but the pop-out is still there.
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #33

Give Seamonkey a try! Mozilla based Netscape. Remember that? https://www.seamonkey-project.org/
Old 06-04-2021, 10:51 AM   #34

Hm. I don't usually see videos, but then I block most third-party scripts, and will add a custom rule to AdBlock if an animated GIF or video annoys me, so that may be why I hardly ever see them any longer.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:26 AM   #35

I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the following with Firefox v89. For some reason, when I go to close a tab (clicking on the "X" on the tab), I manage to close one of the adjacent tabs in addition to the tab I wanted closed.

I don't recall this happening with prior versions, and if it did, it was happening far less often than it is now. I am not sure if this is a setting or bug, but whatever it is, it's most annoying. Anyone else seen this?
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:39 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the following with Firefox v89. For some reason, when I go to close a tab (clicking on the "X" on the tab), I manage to close one of the adjacent tabs in addition to the tab I wanted closed.

I don't recall this happening with prior versions, and if it did, it was happening far less often than it is now. I am not sure if this is a setting or bug, but whatever it is, it's most annoying. Anyone else seen this?
I just tried, but do not see this bug. Maybe start up without extensions and see if it clears up?
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I just tried, but do not see this bug. Maybe start up without extensions and see if it clears up?
I just thought of something else that is happening, but it has nothing to do with Firefox. Despite not having changed any settings in quite some time, I've noticed my mouse recently performing double-clicks when I only wanted a single click. If I did that on a tab not at the end, I could quickly close two tabs in a rows. Actually, I've noticed this a lot since the "upgrade" of Windows 10 to "20H2" last month. I will switch out to another mouse and see if this continues.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Brave for better security
Old 06-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Brave for better security

I use Brave as my browser on all devices. And if a site hiccups on that browser, Chrome. Stopped using Firefox awhile back.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:13 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Check out Brave browser, it's one of safest for privacy. Highly rated on various review sites.

https://brave.com/
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:00 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm using V.89 and have not seen any difference. That said, everything was tweaked years ago to make FF look the same regardless of what 'improvements' they came up with. Desktop still looks like XP too, but using windows 10. Stubborn I guess.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote