Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Firefox 89 - Who thought this was a good idea?
Old 06-01-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Firefox 89 - Who thought this was a good idea?

The recent UI changes in Firefox have pushed me to Chrome. Anyone else hate the new look?
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2021, 09:05 PM   #2

Not a fan of the menu spacing. Far too much space, leading to menus/submenus that require scrolling to see the entire contents.

Thankfully, I was using a tailored version of userChrome.css to tweak the menus prior to v89. I needed about 15 minutes or so to figure out how to get around the latest spacing issues. As soon as Mozilla eliminates the ability to use a personal userChrome.css file, I will be moving elsewhere.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seems a little like maybe they saw Facebook mess with improve their look so decided to follow suit.

I don't notice that much of a change except that things are shrunken a bit and now fits in a screen. Not the best for old, tired eyes like me. But doesn't seem too drastic. At least from what I've seen thus far .
Old 06-02-2021, 03:00 AM   #4

I am not sure how Mozilla did it, but they made the navigation buttons even more difficult to view than they were before. This is particularly true for the "Back" and "Forward" arrows, and it has gotten worse over the years (speaking as someone who started with Firefox v0.8 in March 2004). It is really hard to tell whether you have a webpage that you can go backward and/or forward to with those arrows.
Smile
Old 06-02-2021, 03:46 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Smile

I was expecting UI Armageddon when I saw this thread. After applying the update, Firefox improvements look fine to me.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...n=about-dialog

Note that anything you dislike in appearance can probably be changed.

This is my current array of browsers. When I encounter an obstacle, or feel the winds change, I switch to another browser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (10.1 KB, 491 views)
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:26 AM   #6

I agree, the tabs were very hard to tell apart, so I just reverted: https://www.askvg.com/tip-restore-ol...ater-versions/
Old 06-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
I agree, the tabs were very hard to tell apart, so I just reverted: https://www.askvg.com/tip-restore-ol...ater-versions/
Thanks for the tip, just reverted.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I am not sure how Mozilla did it, but they made the navigation buttons even more difficult to view than they were before. This is particularly true for the "Back" and "Forward" arrows, and it has gotten worse over the years (speaking as someone who started with Firefox v0.8 in March 2004). It is really hard to tell whether you have a webpage that you can go backward and/or forward to with those arrows.
Have you tried changing the theme - which changes the colors and intensity? See Settings/Extensions & Themes/Themes

Rita
Old 06-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Have you tried changing the theme - which changes the colors and intensity? See Settings/Extensions & Themes/Themes
Yes. Most annoying to have to take on wholesale coloring themes just to see the navigation buttons more clearly. I hated that the buttons themselves lost the ability to be customized starting with Firefox v58, but at least I could clearly see whether there were backward and/or forward pages available until v89. The arrows are far too thin, and they keep shrinking with each major design/redesign of Firefox.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Usually, I'm one of the first to gripe about point out a so-called improved new look.

But I actually don't mind the more compressed look. Looks like now I can cram more stuff onto the bookmarks toolbar before having to navigate via drop down .
Old 06-02-2021, 10:35 AM   #11

Strange that you are getting a more compressed look. For me, everything got spread out (particularly menu spacing), which might be a plus for someone with weak eyes.

But I organized my bookmarks to be able to see them on a page without scrolling, and that got blown out of the water with my move to v89. That's even with the *unsupported* "Compact" density option for the toolbars.

I've managed to customize my userChrome.css file to get around that. I just need to figure out how to make the navigation arrows more usable. I can actually bring up the right-click context menu in the browser, and the navigation arrows are darker there. Not sure why the toolbar isn't the same.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if I'm describing properly or not. But I just counted that I now have 20 icons on the bookmarks toolbar. Then there is the two right pointing angles for the dropdown. Didn't count how much previously, buy I say maybe 15 icons if lucky.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Thanks! That at least gets me back to a usable browser, though the window still doesn't show active/non-active status (if the browser window is active or not). It also sounds like this configuration is going away in the next update (July?) so it's probably a short lived fix.

I have several browsers installed and am leaning towards switching to Edge. Honestly, Firefox, Chrome, and Edge basically all look equally bad now. Firefox was about the only one that still offered a traditional menu bar (File-Edit-View-etc.).

I wish these companies would just leave things alone. Every time I get things configured to my liking, they change the interface, break my add-on's, etc.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Upgraded FF yesterday... Looks/works fine for me... It's been my preferred browser for many years so I'll stick with it, for now.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Upgraded FF yesterday... Looks/works fine for me... It's been my preferred browser for many years so I'll stick with it, for now.
Yeah. Better the devil I know. The overall problem with this type of thing is programmers' confusion of "different" with "better." I think it comes from breathing software development air, like asbestosis comes from the air. It screws up critical thinking.

I see Micro$oft will soon be giving us "different" too/June 24 announcement. I can hardly wait.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I have several browsers installed and am leaning towards switching to Edge. Honestly, Firefox, Chrome, and Edge basically all look equally bad now. Firefox was about the only one that still offered a traditional menu bar (File-Edit-View-etc.).
The latter is why I have Vivaldi installed as my backup browser with Firefox. Vivaldi also has improved it's ability to allow some customization compared to when I tried it a couple of years ago.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Firefox is persistent on (re)opening a pinned tab that I no longer want. And it doesn't happen only after the browser launch. As soon as I unpin a pinned tab and close it, it will respawn like a nightmare that won't go away.

I disabled pretty much every config entries (via about:config) but couldn't change this behavior.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
<snip>
I've managed to customize my userChrome.css file to get around that. I just need to figure out how to make the navigation arrows more usable. I can actually bring up the right-click context menu in the browser, and the navigation arrows are darker there. Not sure why the toolbar isn't the same.
Ooooh, I know just enough CSS to be dangerous, I'm going to have to tinker with that.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #19

Was a long time Firefox user but gave up on it last year, just became too slow. I know Microsoft is considered a no-no by many but their Edge browser is much better than Firefox IMO, so much faster. The only add-ons I use on both are a password manager and an ad blocker.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #20

I am delaying the update for now.
I did save a couple of guides to make modifications if need be -

https://www.userchrome.org/firefox-8...proton-ui.html

https://amitp.blogspot.com/2021/06/f...ppearance.html
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote