Join Early Retirement Today

Free Proton VPN
Old 03-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Free Proton VPN

First, let me express my total ignorance about this. I just signed up for the free version of Proton VPN on my iMac. I have AT&T Uverse. Do I need to buy a router to protect my iPhone? Does the free version encrypt my online searching? Is this even necessary for safe online searching? Thanks for input.

Homepage

Select a plan

Free
0 € / mo
Billed as 0 €/year

Privacy and security for everyone
  • 1 simultaneous VPN connection
  • Servers in 3 countries
  • Medium speed
  • No logs policy
  • No data limit
  • No ads

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use ProtonMail for encrypted email. I like their services.

I have the VPN app on my phone, but do not use it too often. If you have it always enabled, you will likely notice a slow down of your data performance as it routes through their server.

It is most useful (on your phone) if you are connected through a Wi-Fi connection you perhaps don't trust or is public.

Here is a definition of VPN.

VPN stands for virtual private network. It is a private network that extends across a public network or internet. It enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network.

When you connect to a VPN, you usually launch a VPN client on your computer (or click a link on a special website), log in with your credentials, and your computer exchanges trusted keys with a far away server. Once both computers have verified each other as authentic, all of your internet communication is encrypted and secured from eavesdropping.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Opera browser has a VPN that can be turned on.

Also the Tor browser is essentially a VPN.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I tried the Proton VPN and it works OK if slowly. The limit on the number of logons is a problem for me, but it may not be for you.

I found a deal on PIA's VPN for less than $30 a year. It's considerably faster and not that expensive.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree with Chuckanut. I used Proton (love their email service though!) and found it to be problematic. I switched to Mullvad VPN and has been great for $5/month.
Jimmie is online now   Reply With Quote