From Win 7 to Win 10

A good idea,but not for me.If I buy a new computer,it will be beyond my budget,i don't have enough money.
My plan is to buy a refurb off Amazon or similar for less than just the Windows software.

Microsoft lists hardware requirements for Win 10 -- check to see if your old machine can handle it. My guess is no....

The hardware requirements for Win 10 are identical to Win 7:
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/upgrade-from-windows-7-to-windows-10-on-the-same-hardware/

Further, hardware "requirements" are really just suggestions.

If you run into performance issues, installing a SSD will likely overcome any difficulty.

Like others here, in the past I have purchased refurbs with the OS included instead of purchasing new OS licenses.

Last edited:
The computer that needed to upgrade to Windows 10 was a birthday gift from my brother 2 years ago,when it was running Windows 7,now i want to upgrade to Windows 10.

Follow USGrant1962's suggestion from earlier post:
If you have Win7, the Win10 upgrade is still free, it is just not automatic. You will need to download the Windows Media Creator tool onto a thumb drive or DVD. I did it just a month ago on an old Dell laptop. Google is your friend.

Why not use this Opty to simplify your life and get a mac?

I was a 30 year DOS, OS2, windows user and made the switch years ago. Could not be happier.

Things on a Mac just work easier, simpler and better.

Only reason not to get a Mac Is if you have software that doesn’t work with it or doesn’t work well with it.

Think about it. My 5 year old MacBook Air still works great and i love it. I have never had a windows computer I was still happy with after 5 years (long boots, crashes, etc).

The computer that needed to upgrade to Windows 10 was a birthday gift from my brother 2 years ago,when it was running Windows 7,now i want to upgrade to Windows 10.
What is the hardware? Disk size, installed memory? Processor?

How old is the computer? If picked up on sale/refurb, etc. it could be older than you estimate.

Regarding the free upgrade from when windows 10 was introduced, I did that upgrade and registered the software. Then when the millennium update crashed my computer I ran windows 8 until 2018. So in 2018 I was trying to find a way to reload windows 10 without having to pay for it. It turned out that because I had registered the windows 10 back in 2015, I was able to re download Windows 10 for free. However it took me a long time to figure that out because the link for the download is in an obscure location, IMO.

A good idea,but not for me.If I buy a new computer,it will be beyond my budget,i don't have enough money.

For our older computer we used that LXLE linux software. It works great for older slower computers. If you don't have to have windows, that is.

Win 10 will run almost any processor. Even Pentium 4 can run it, albeit slowly, but none earlier than that. Core2Duo runs it fine. Sandybridge and up no problem.

Just ditch Windows and install Linux Mint XFCE. I did that with an ancient computer that originally came with Windows XP. Ancient Pentium 4 processor. Also installed an inexpensive SSD ($20) The thing works beautifully. Even installed some Windows games for my grandson ( Spore, Minecraft, a couple of RPG's) done!

A core duo in this day and age is not optimum. Go for at least an i5 quad core.

+1

I looked recently, and $199 gets you a decent machine with Win10 Pro, 8GB RAM, SSD, with CPU Passmark of better than 6000. Respectable machine for dirt cheap.

No one knows more about Windows upgrades than Microsoft as Windows OS is developed by Microsoft.

I ran across this article about Windows 10. "Four years after its release, we’re all still using Windows 10. But that’s not really true: The version of Windows 10 we’re using today has seen four years of improvements. It’s packed with shiny new features and clever under-the-hood optimizations." https://www.windows10passwordreset.com/free-upgrade-to-windows-10.html
Microsoft support a free upgrade,but it doesn't help if your Windows 10 expires.Even if the upgrade is successful, there will be crashes.A good method will avoid a lot of trouble.

My plan is to just buy a new computer with Windows 10 on it, then transfer over the data.
Same here. Just makes things easier. Also, my main PC is five years old, and at this point, newer hardware would make sense. I suppose if I had purchased a PC in the last year or so and wished to continue using it, I might attempt an upgrade to Windows 10.

Last edited:
Same here. Just makes things easier. Also, my main PC is five years old, and at this point, newer hardware would make sense. I suppose if I had purchased a PC in the last year or so and wished to continue using it, I might attempt an upgrade to Windows 10.
Five year old hardware should run fine on Windows 10.

Is there a safe and effective way to upgrade my computer?Upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10,i'm afraid of messing everything up.

anytime i change to a new OS i buy a new computer. i went from 98 to XP to 7 and am not forced into 10. i've been on 7 for 5-6 years now. very stable just like XP. i have a win10 laptop bought as a preview of win10. using classic shell and have it looking and working much like win 7. plan is to clone the new desktop to the laptop.

biggest gripe is browser. edge stinks, chrome is junk, firefox not much better. IE still works but more and more websites, especially financial sites will not work properly on IE.

anytime i change to a new OS i buy a new computer. i went from 98 to XP to 7 and am not forced into 10. i've been on 7 for 5-6 years now. very stable just like XP. i have a win10 laptop bought as a preview of win10. using classic shell and have it looking and working much like win 7. plan is to clone the new desktop to the laptop.
I don't think Win 10 will activate properly if you clone it from the desktop to laptop. It looks at the hardware on the machine to activate. Even if you update enough hardware in a machine it will de-activate and then you would need to call them to re-activate it.

I would try the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and tell it to upgrade from Win 7. It should upgrade and tell you it is activated using a digital license.

Back
Top Bottom