Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
You are correct. I was simply pointing out that ecosystem and viewing source are irrelevant when it comes to Chromecast. All comes down to the HDMI on the set.
Right. And we don't know if the TV in question has HDMI. That certainly is relevant when it comes to using Chromecast - how can it be irrelevant?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Chromecast works with iPhone®, iPad®, Android phone and tablet, Mac® and Windows® laptop, desktop and Chromebook. So as long as you have a HDMI slot and a wifi connection you are good to go with Chromebook.

No HDMI, no Chromecast.
We don't know if the OP has Chromecast.

But let's assume he/she does.

Of the few things we know, the OP is asking to stream free ESPN (what app/site exactly?). If he/she has a pay TV subscription, maybe - though that didn't work very well initially, maybe it's better now.

If not, he/she would have to setup mirroring. Given the nature of the OP's question, would you assume he/she can readily setup mirroring from whatever device? It's not that easy IME.

Which comes back to not enough information.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Right. And we don't know if the TV in question has HDMI. That certainly is relevant when it comes to using Chromecast - how can it be irrelevant?

-ERD50
Wow...read the POSTS! I said ecosystem and viewing source are irrelevant with Chromecast. I said that HDMI was NECESSARY not irrelevant in both posts.

Can you understand this? If you have an hdmi outlet on your tv then your ecosystem and viewing source are irrelevant when it comes to using Chromecast.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow...read the POSTS! I said ecosystem and viewing source are irrelevant with Chromecast. I said that HDMI was NECESSARY not irrelevant in both posts.

Can you understand this? If you have an hdmi outlet on your tv then your ecosystem and viewing source are irrelevant when it comes to using Chromecast.
And I'm just saying it's confusing to say it is irrelevant what you have, as long as you have HDMI (and we don't know that the set has HDMI or not). Just is odd wording to me.

It's kind of like saying it doesn't matter if you have 4 tires on your car, as long as you have 4 tires on your car.

Enough - I'm curious to hear what the OP has to say.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #25

Wow!! Two pages of help! Thanks everyone. I haven't had a chance to read all of it yet. But I will.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The OP is asking to stream free ESPN (what app/site exactly?), that's not easy to do with Chromecast. If he/she has a pay TV subscription, maybe. If not - given the nature of the OP's question, would you assume he/she can readily setup mirroring from whatever device? It's not that easy IME. Which comes back to not enough information.
Fact is that if he/she doesn't have a pay tv subscription they are not going to be able to stream any ESPN content from computer to their tv regardless of the device. No subscription/no authentication=no streaming.

I can cast ESPN from my Watch ESPN app and/or my Directv app directly to my Chromecast.

Fact is if you can look at it on your computer (however you get it) you can cast it to a Chromecast. It is as simple as that. Chromecast is simply an interface between your TV and your computer assuming (as I have said all along) that you have the necessary HDMI slot on your tv. Ecosystem and computer type are irrelevant. If you are going from your computer to TV as opposed to from a mobile device you will need to go through Google Chrome. It will then completely mirror your computer screen on your tv should you desire or just specific content. See the attached article for more in depth information.

Mirror Your Computer’s Screen on Your TV With Google’s Chromecast

If that is not the case then the Chromecast is set up incorrectly.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
Wow!! Two pages of help! Thanks everyone. I haven't had a chance to read all of it yet. But I will.
For God's sake please let us know whether or not you have a HDMI slot on your tv!!!
Old 01-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fact is that if he/she doesn't have a pay tv subscription they are not going to be able to stream any ESPN content from computer to their tv regardless of the device. No subscription/no authentication=no streaming.

I can cast ESPN from my Watch ESPN app and/or my Directv app directly to my Chromecast.

Fact is if you can look at it on your computer (however you get it) you can cast it to a Chromecast. It is as simple as that. Chromecast is simply an interface between your TV and your computer assuming (as I have said all along) that you have the necessary HDMI slot on your tv. Ecosystem and computer type are irrelevant. If you are going from your computer to TV as opposed to from a mobile device you will need to go through Google Chrome. It will then completely mirror your computer screen on your tv should you desire or just specific content. See the attached article for more in depth information.

Mirror Your Computer’s Screen on Your TV With Google’s Chromecast

If that is not the case then the Chromecast is set up incorrectly.
Good info if you're various assumptions are correct, we don't know do we.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Good info if you're various assumptions are correct, we don't know do we.
I made no assumptions whatsoever. The OP stated he wants to stream from his computer to his tv. This tells me right off he currently doesn't have the capability. Which means he has no interface (apple tv, Chromecast, Roku or otherwise) correct? He also states he wants to "send" a free ESPN game from his computer to his tv. That tells me he has an ESPN subscription from someone (cable co/Directv, etc) otherwise he wouldn't be able to see it on his computer as there is no such thing as a "free" ESPN subscription.

I suggested a chromecast...as long as he has an HDMI slot. I made no assumption that he did or did not have one. I only stated the IF he did have HDMI that ecosystem and, as you called it, viewing source are irrelevant.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I made no assumptions whatsoever. The OP stated he wants to stream from his computer to his tv. This tells me right off he currently doesn't have the capability. Which means he has no interface (apple tv, Chromecast, Roku or otherwise) correct? He also states he wants to "send" a free ESPN game from his computer to his tv. That tells me he has an ESPN subscription from someone (cable co/Directv, etc) otherwise he wouldn't be able to see it on his computer as there is no such thing as a "free" ESPN subscription.

I suggested a chromecast...as long as he has an HDMI slot. I made no assumption that he did or did not have one. I only stated the IF he did have HDMI that ecosystem and, as you called it, viewing source are irrelevant.
I'm done going in circles with you. I didn't see where he said he was watching on a computer. And unless something has changed, you can view WatchESPN on a tablet, but that doesn't include live viewing without a pay TV subscription. He did say he was watching "free ESPN," I wouldn't assume a subscription. I'm still not clear exactly what he was trying to watch. But knock yourself out.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #31

Quote:
For God's sake please let us know whether or not you have a HDMI slot on your tv!!!
Yes I have HDMI.

I don't have Apple TV, but would consider getting it.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes I have HDMI.

I don't have Apple TV, but would consider getting it.
Apple, Roku or Amazon Fire box will make your streaming experience enjoyable. Buy one.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #33

Quote:
I'm done going in circles with you.
Good!

To the OP. Now that we know you have an HDMI slot any of the typical streaming interfaces will work (Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku, xbox, Amazon Fire TV, etc). If you want to watch ESPN on your TV (cast from your computer) you'll need to have WatchESPN. To watch anything live from one of the ESPN channels, event replays, etc you'll also need an authenticated video subscription. If you don't have an authenticated video subscription all you can access are clips/interviews, etc. Some ISP's have agreements for content that airs on ESPN3 but that does not give you access to live events/replays/shows that have or are airing on one of the ESPN channels.

See this link for FAQ's on streaming ESPN content.
ESPN WatchESPN Support

Fox is pretty much the same way for content that airs on their sports channels. Content that airs on ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox can be cast to your tv but each has it's own retrictions as to when you can watch (live versus delay).

The whole streaming world is constantly evolving but the one constant is that in order to access content from cable sports networks and many of the other networks you're going to pretty much have to have an authenticated video subscription.

Best of luck!
Old 01-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #34

I have Roku, which I use for Amazon Prime and Netflix, both of which I have subscriptions for. On one set I have the card that goes into the HDMI slot, and the other set is a "smart" TV, which was (sadly) bequeathed to me when a family member passed away. Because it was given to me, I did none of the pre-purchase research I probably would have done, had I been buying it myself.
I can stream a college football game, for free, on the ESPN site. Can my Roku (or smart TV) send that to the TV, or would I need something like Apple TV to do that?
Old 01-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #35

Quote:
We don't know if the OP has Chromecast.

Neither does the OP. In fact the OP doesn't even know what Chromecast is.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #36

Quote:
I can stream a college football game, for free, on the ESPN site. Can my Roku (or smart TV) send that to the TV, or would I need something like Apple TV to do that?
Roku could do it. So should the smart tv assuming you have connected it to the internet. Personally I find the smart tv interfaces rather clunky compared to Roku/Chromecst/Amazon Fire etc.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #37

Quote:
I have Roku, which I use for Amazon Prime and Netflix, both of which I have subscriptions for. On one set I have the card that goes into the HDMI slot, and the other set is a "smart" TV, which was (sadly) bequeathed to me when a family member passed away. Because it was given to me, I did none of the pre-purchase research I probably would have done, had I been buying it myself.
My guess is that if it is a "Smart TV" there is an HDMI slot somewhere. Sometimes if they are wall mounted sets they are hard to access because they are on the back of the tv. Newer models usually have an HDMI accessible from the side.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Chromecast works with iPhone®, iPad®, Android phone and tablet, Mac® and Windows® laptop, desktop and Chromebook. So as long as you have a HDMI slot and a wifi connection you are good to go with Chromebook.

No HDMI, no Chromecast.
+1

We cast from our chrome browsers running on windows... Just cast to chromecast yesterday because "undercover boss" covered a business in our 'hood' and we'd missed it live, so had to watch it from the cbs.com site.

Built in hooks for youtube as well.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Whatever ESPN game you are watching for free on their site you should be able to pick up on ESPN 3 which is under the Watch ESPN app on your Roku. If it's not currently on there, you can download the app.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Without knowing what the OP is using:
  • eco system (Apple, Win, other),
  • viewing source (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone),
  • TV (smart, dumb, inputs, analog)
it's nearly impossible to recommend anything.

Mac OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan)

laptop

some TVs smart, some dumb, all have HDMI ports

As I mentioned in one of my later posts, I have ROKU, as an HDMI plug-in on one dumb TV, and integrated in my "new" Smart TV.

Next question from me: What does Apple TV provide (if anything) that is not available via my ROKU?

edit: laptop has HDMI, but I want to do this wirelessly