Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do YOU expect to go to in person movies…
No more or less often than before 39 36.79%
More than before 2 1.89%
Less than before 38 35.85%
Never again 27 25.47%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Some films just have to be viewed on big screen. I’m looking forward to Dune, which is coming out this October.
I must admit I'm looking forward to Dune as well. I just hope it lives up to the book. That said, I have to admit I've always been a fan of the 1984 version.

I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movies since the storyline and visuals were faithful to the books although some had to be cut out. The Hobbit movies, not so much.

So, yeah, I might make an exception for Dune depending on the reviews and the buzz I hear after it premiers. I might have to go on a random Tuesday, bring my earplugs and wear a sweatshirt.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #22

I voted "Never Again" and that's probably true.

I hate movie theaters and always have. Too many rude selfish jerks making noise of whatever kind, sticky floors (granted not so much an issue anymore) grossly overpriced for both the movie and anything to to eat. And as someone else noted, there's no "pause" button.

And I really don't need a five-figure home entertainment center to get immersed in a movie, the stuff we have right now is just fine.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Saw my first movie theater film in 1.5 years: Summer of Soul. Highly recommend it if you like the music of that era! It is a documentary that features footage of the so-called "Black Woodstock."

I don't have any sort of cable or streaming at home so enjoy movies in theaters if I like the film. I won't go to the theater just for the experience if the movie is lousy.

I’m thinking of “unpausing” my Hulu subscription for this and other features/originals (e.g, “Nomadland”).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:36 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 Same here, except it's been only about 10-15 years for us. We feel like movies have become preachy, with more "messages" than entertainment these days. So, we stopped watching them because we prefer pure entertainment.

Another reason we stopped going is that the high volume in theaters literally hurts my ears and I just can't bear it. And then, the other customers are loud too, inconsiderate, doing drugs openly, letting their kids run wild, and so on. Maybe this is a generational difference but we old fogies prefer civilized behavior for some reason. Theaters are no fun any more for us.

F sometimes streams old movies but I seldom if ever do (although I do like them). Luckily there are many different entertainment options other than movies.

W2R, If you want to watch a movie that isnt preachy, you need to watch Equalizer 2, August 5 on FX channel, as I got it taped to watch again. The only message served is the bad guys die and die painfully. Its Denzel Washington whoopin’ a lot of ass; its Taken and Dirty Harry on steroids, ha.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:40 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I answered earlier and we're being cautious, but cases and hospitalizations have increased dramatically in the past few weeks in our state/county - so our precautions are evolving. There appear to be a lot of willfully ignorant citizens out there based on vaccine stats.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings movies since the storyline and visuals were faithful to the books although some had to be cut out. The Hobbit movies, not so much.
Same here. Loved the LOTR trilogy and saw each one on the big screen. The Hobbit trilogy was a huge disappointment. So glad I didn't go to the theater for those. What were they thinking trying to adapt one little 300-page children's book into three long, overwrought, special effects blockbusters?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:11 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We will probably go as a special event when we have out-of-towners staying.

But routinely we would rather pay to stay home. We save more on the snacks anyway.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:21 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ll rent the theatre for kids event, but otherwise enjoy from home on projector.
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Before the pandemic, we only went to movies maybe once or twice per year. I rarely say never, but there would have to be a really good reason to go.
Trailwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:31 PM   #30

DW and I rarely go to the movies anymore. While our 1st date was a movie back in '82, we may have seen 7 since then. Don't particularly care about the self righteous attitudes that people who were blessed with good looks, have, and are about themselves.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:28 PM   #31

Count me as one who still enjoys the movie theater experience, especially now that more theaters in my town have invested in recliner type seating and much more space between seats. However, DH dislikes movies in general and so I must be very selective in what movies he is willing to come to with me. Only went to one IMAX movie last year during the brief one month opening of theaters in my county in the middle of the pandemic. I enjoyed it tremendously; DH not so much. He is on board with going to an IMAX theater to see The Batman next March. I would enjoy seeing in IMAX Top Gun Maverick, Dune, Snake Eyes, and James Bond No Time To Die, but I’ll probably have to stream those at home. Investing in a Sonos Arc soundbar so I can hear the dialogue better.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:42 PM   #32

Went to an afternoon showing of Black Widow this week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Since we ER'd we have mainly done afternoon films, maybe one friday night release in 5 years. In our area, that means reclining bigger seats, and reserved seating. And a mostly empty theatre even pre-covid.

This week there were 8 ppl in the theatre including us, so I'd do that again. I would have enjoyed WW84 in a theatre as well, in all of its disastrous glory. While it was nice to get that at home for free, I do like a good action superhero big screen event.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:44 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I just go for the ultra cheap popcorn.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:44 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Seeing the last time I went to the movies was in 1994 (or thereabouts), I answered like this:

No more or less often than before
Old 07-31-2021, 09:49 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I go more now because they just redid the theater with better seats, and i get in for free.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:21 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Well, never again is the same as as much as before for us.

We hadn’t been to a movie theater since the early 2000s, when one of the Star Wars movies was released and we thought we wanted the immersion experience. We hadn’t been to a theater in years, but it was such a miserable experience we decided then “Never Again”. When we had our current house built we made sure to have the infrastructure for an excellent audiovisual system. It’s been outstanding and gotten even better over the years with streaming and then 4K. Not only do we not have to go anywhere, we don’t have to adhere to anyone else’s schedule.

I got burned out on the typical big box office Hollywood movies long ago anyway. Can’t stand most of them. Occasionally watch one or two on a plane ride. Much prefer the series format I watch at home.

P.S. one thing we absolutely hate is how LOUD movie theater sound is. We have to carry earplugs. Yes, have them for concerts too.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:26 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We used to go regularly to the cinema. In our area they all have invested in large recliner seats that can be reserved and in-seat dining (which we skip). One even has child free showings.

Some films just have to be viewed on big screen. I’m looking forward to Dune, which is coming out this October.
Ha ha, I remember watching the original Dune movie (1984) starring Sting in the theater. I actually enjoyed watching that movie in spite of his fairly marginal acting. They did a great job with the worm effects. But once was enough for me.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:31 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
They won’t let me hit pause at the theater.
Yep! Nor let me come back and finish tomorrow.

I really can’t watch anything longer than an hour without a good break. Usually less.
Old 08-01-2021, 04:57 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

We went to our first movie since the pandemic last month. Probably will continue at our pervious rate of a couple per year. DW likes to get out of the house, and the big screen.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:58 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

We're in the never again camp, and recent trends in my state are only making us more cautious. Cases have increased 15X from Jun 30 to Jul 30, and hospitalizations have almost tripled over the same period. And I doubt we've peaked yet. Sad, largely avoidable.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote