Google/Nest Cameras - I approve

njhowie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We installed Google/Nest cameras in mom's apartment 1500 miles away so that we (me and sis) could keep an eye on her as an alternative to having her move in with one of us (which she has flat out refused for the past few years). Mom had an "episode" take place about 10 days ago, and the cameras were the best compromise we could all agree on.

Sis and I flew down to Miami a week ago today. We booked the plane tickets at 6AM and were on the plane at 2PM. Monday we discussed (argued) about what we wanted, and mom spent the day saying no. It was Tuesday morning when sis and I gave mom the ultimatum/compromise we'd agree to - if she wasn't coming back with us, we were going to install the cameras. Mom relented and agreed.

Tuesday afternoon we went into action - picking up the cameras at Best Buy. Mom's complex has xfinitywifi hotspot access, and me being an xfinity customer, I figured we could just use my login (I was already using the hotspot there). However, as we were setting up, we learned you can't do that with cameras - they must use your own internet service, won't work with the xfinitywifi hotpots. So, quick call to Comcast to sign up for the cheapest service level (25Mb/s at $40/month for first 12 months, $53 thereafter), race back to Best Buy (with 60 minutes until closing at 9PM) to pick up cable modem, call Comcast back to give them the MAC address, and minutes later we had service and activated all of the cameras.

Wednesday we spent mounting the cameras, making a trip to Target to get USB extension cords (used for power for the cameras), running the cables under the molding/carpet to make things look neat and pretty. We spent a couple hours testing out our handywork, using the Nest desktop app as well as the phone app and were extremely impressed. We still don't know all of the capabilities, but with what we do know, we're very happy with the decision to go with Google/Nest.

We immediately signed up for the Nest Aware Plus subscription service ($120/year/house for as many Nest devices as you want - which is competitive with Amazon and Arlo). The subscription service gives 10 days of 24/7 recording storage plus 60 days of event history. It also includes the ability to dispatch local emergency services to the address from a button right on the screen.

We flew back home on Thursday afternoon and have been monitoring mom's activities since, just to get a feel for her daily routine. Over time, I'm certain we'll not be checking so frequently. So far, the cameras are meeting all of our expectations and is making us much more comfortable with our arrangement. We talk with mom maybe once a week or every other week. However, with the cameras, we're now able to see so much more - we know how much sleep she's getting, when/what she's eating (it's an issue), know when she's coming/going, and obviously have the security aspect as well.

Sounds like you you and your sister made the best of a difficult situation. Hope it works well for you! It never ceases to amaze me how Technology can make our lives easier. Now, if I could only convince my mom to embrace the idea of zoom this pandemic would be a little easier. But I have never been able to talk her into the concept of texting, so . . .

Mom sounds like a pistol. Can she tell when a camera is 'hot'? (Someone viewing it?) Hope she doesn't decide to moon you! Or brings a 'man friend' over.... or Raule, the pool boy... Ha!

In a decade or two we will be setting these systems up for ourselves.

IMO Nest/Google is the best set up, since they went to the price per house instead of price per cam (used to be $5/$10 a month PER CAM!). For your use -- indoors -- they are great. For outdoor use, the problem is the USB power cord (the plug, actually) requires a fairly large hole (0.5-1.0", depending on cam model) through the exterior wall.

IMO Nest/Google is the best set up, since they went to the price per house instead of price per cam (used to be $5/$10 a month PER CAM!). For your use -- indoors -- they are great. For outdoor use, the problem is the USB power cord (the plug, actually) requires a fairly large hole (0.5-1.0", depending on cam model) through the exterior wall.

I just read a fellow said he put it through his open window, and then closed the window. Often windows have a seal and if a person used a flat USB cable, or even a round one, I bet it will work fine.

I use Wyze camera's, much lower cost and they work well.

I just read a fellow said he put it through his open window, and then closed the window. Often windows have a seal and if a person used a flat USB cable, or even a round one, I bet it will work fine.

I use Wyze camera's, much lower cost and they work well.

The window could work, although probably not most windows with their screens in. Also, a common and good location for exterior cams is on the corners of the story(ies) hanging under the eve -- usually that would require a fair amount of difficulty and distance going out a window.

Does Wyze have cloud recording, motion detection, and face recognition? I wouldn't be thrilled with any company having my video or video metadata without a super strong privacy guarantee, but I'd be especially hesitate with a Chinese-owned or based company.

The window could work, although probably not most windows with their screens in. Also, a common and good location for exterior cams is on the corners of the story(ies) hanging under the eve -- usually that would require a fair amount of difficulty and distance going out a window.

Does Wyze have cloud recording, motion detection, and face recognition? I wouldn't be thrilled with any company having my video or video metadata without a super strong privacy guarantee, but I'd be especially hesitate with a Chinese-owned or based company.

Good points on the location for outside usage.
Wyze does have cloud recording (and memory card on camera) and motion detection. They offer a free cloud recording of about 12 seconds and then no more cloud for 5 minutes. If you pay you get constant cloud recording.
The memory card records with all motion constantly.

For outside camera's I'm not worried if the Chinese want to see my deliveries. For inside, I don't want Chinese or NSA/Google/Apple/Amazon/Anybody else recording my voice or watching me. :eek:
I currently just plug the camera's in when we leave the house, and unplug when we return as they are all currently inside.

But I have considered putting a camera in DF kitchen, and livingroom so I can look to see him each day, would offer peace of mind to me.

But I have considered putting a camera in DF kitchen, and livingroom so I can look to see him each day, would offer peace of mind to me.

That is exactly what we did. In mom's unit, the kitchen/table/living room are adjacent and right where the front door is. We put one camera up in the corner behind the table which has a view of the entire area. I was really impressed by the field of view. We put a second camera in the diagonal far back corner of the unit in the office/guest bedroom which sees that room and into the hallway (picking up motion when she goes in/out of her bedroom). We had originally put the third camera in her bedroom, not really thinking about it, but then when she mentioned it, it was obvious we went too far and immediately pulled that one out. Sis took it home with her and is installing there to keep an eye on her teenager when she's not around.

If your Mom is prone to falls, I'd get her an Apple Watch with cellular. It will call 911 if she falls and decides she needs help. She would need a cellular plan though if she does not already have that.

If your Mom is prone to falls, I'd get her an Apple Watch with cellular. It will call 911 if she falls and decides she needs help. She would need a cellular plan though if she does not already have that.

You still need an iPhone to use the Watch, and she may not be able to handle that. Also, even the regular (wifi) Watch will make that emergency call as long as the phone is within range.

You still need an iPhone to use the Watch, and she may not be able to handle that. Also, even the regular (wifi) Watch will make that emergency call as long as the phone is within range.

Cool, I didn't know that the non-cellular watch will make the emergency call. The watch owner does not need to have an iPhone I think as this discusses:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768

Cool, I didn't know that the non-cellular watch will make the emergency call. The watch owner does not need to have an iPhone I think as this discusses:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768

Not exactly. You need the iPhone to set up and modify features on the watch. Technically it doesn't have to be your watch, but unless the family member is going to be visiting regularly, the person would be limited in capability, and especially in not being able to update the watchOS (generally a few times a year). It also has to have the phone in range to make that emergency call.

Not exactly. You need the iPhone to set up and modify features on the watch. Technically it doesn't have to be your watch, but unless the family member is going to be visiting regularly, the person would be limited in capability, and especially in not being able to update the watchOS (generally a few times a year). It also has to have the phone in range to make that emergency call.

If the Mom were on the family plan then the cellular could be set up for her. Then the iPhone would not have to be in range would it? I make calls in our park and have fallen while running (due to lots of rocks on the trail). No iPhone was with me and the watch worked nicely asking if I was OK or should it call emergency.

I don't know if the updates to the watch could be handled through cellular. If not, most of the updates are not critical.

But maybe this is just too complicated. It is just something to think about.

Mom is stubborn. She refuses to wear any device which detects a fall. She isn't prone to falling, though it is a concern of ours.

We're very happy with the cameras - they provide a good happy medium for all the parties. Sis and I are happy that it is so easy for us to check in on her now. We don't have to rely on reaching her by phone - which she doesn't answer half the time. We know when she's in the house, and where she goes when she's out of the house - sis installed Life360 on her phone (when she wasn't watching). She uses it for monitoring my nephew and it was easy to add mom on.

But maybe this is just too complicated. It is just something to think about.

Maybe I'm just not explaining things clearly. I would recommend talking to the folks at Apple with your questions. They're much better at explaining than I am.

Wyze is an American company. Not all unfamiliar sounding names are Chinese.

And she’d have to put it on (wear it most of the time) and charge it regularly. If she’s stubborn about personal gadgets this won’t work.

Mom sounds like a pistol. Can she tell when a camera is 'hot'? (Someone viewing it?) Hope she doesn't decide to moon you! Or brings a 'man friend' over.... or Raule, the pool boy... Ha!

Or drop a hat over the camera indefinitely....

Wyze is American, but they are using inexpensive Xiaomi (Chinese) cameras.

Right.

Wyze was formed by ex-Amazon folks (Yun Zhang, Elana Fishman, and Dave Crosby). They import Xiaomi cameras and put their own software on them.

MIL living alone is getting to the point where cameras would be helpful. We have Wyze at home and I think a camera in her kitchen and living room would work.

Everyone here seems to like Google. FWIW, we have the Amazon Ring alarm and cameras and are happy with that setup.

FWIW, I use 6 Wyze's to monitor mom (age 91) and my disabled brother. They have motion detection, night vision and store the video for up to 2 weeks. Easy set up. Cheap: $25 for a stationary and ~$40 for one that can rotate so if one goes south it's not a big deal.

Saves me a TON of anguish and worry. Mostly I check in around 9PM to make sure they both made it safely to bed and that they both got out of bed in the AM.

I also have one at my house as a 'Critter Cam' to see if any coyotes, deer etc have wandered by overnight.

Back
Top Bottom