Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Have You Upsized Your TV Recently?
Old 09-26-2022, 12:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm considering getting a new TV. I would be going from a 55" to a 75" or 77" TV. I sit 9.5 feet away from the TV screen.

If you've gotten a new, bigger TV recently I have some questions for you.

1. How far away is your seating position from the TV screen?

2. What was the size of your old (smaller) TV?

3. What is the size of your new (larger) TV?

4. What was your experience to acclimating to the new size?

5. Now that you've had the new TV for a while, did you get the right size? Or should you have gone bigger? Or smaller?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 01:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've got a 55" in the living room and that's the biggest my entertainment center/furniture will hold. Also have another ~55" on a dresser top in the guest room. However it's a curved TV and seems bigger... Almost gives a 3d effect... Really not sure I'd want anything bigger... Maybe someday.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:26 PM   #3

I upgraded recently from about 30in to 55in at our mountain cabin. Sitting about 6 ft away normally. I like it better than the smaller screen but it is not a huge difference.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I think the next upgrade will be a UST (Ultra Short Throw) laser projector with a 100 inch motorized (up travel) screen. These things just sit on the equipment cabinet or a shelf slightly below the screen. The lasers are so bright you can watch daytime.

Pretty cool stuff!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:37 PM   #5

Not me. In fact, I kept downsizing my TV over the years until I finally gave it away.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:45 PM   #6

I have! I upgraded several years ago to a 55 inch, then a couple of years ago to a 65 inch, and then last year to a 75 inch. Notice the trend?
Each time we thought- oh we won’t want a bigger tv than this. Honestly, I might even entertain an 85 inch. but I’m waiting for a few years.
My (20 year old) entertainment center expands so no limitations there.
The tv is about 9-10 feet from where I sit.
Bonus- older larger tv goes in my bedroom. You would think it would be too big but it’s great!
Irishgirlyc58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:48 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, my plan too. Now have 55" in living room, 50" in BR.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirlyc58 View Post
I have! I upgraded several years ago to a 55 inch, then a couple of years ago to a 65 inch, and then last year to a 75 inch. Notice the trend?
Each time we thought- oh we won’t want a bigger tv than this. Honestly, I might even entertain an 85 inch. but I’m waiting for a few years.
My (20 year old) entertainment center expands so no limitations there.
The tv is about 9-10 feet from where I sit.
Bonus- older larger tv goes in my bedroom. You would think it would be too big but it’s great!
Since I sit 9.5 feet away most of the size/distance calculators recommend at least a 75" TV. Since I'm considering an LG C2 OLED, it would be a 77" screen.

I was shocked to see a 65" TV gave a recommended viewing distance of 7.3 feet; a 55" TV was at 6.1 feet.

I considered going from my 55" to a 65" but I figured in a couple of years I'd want a bigger TV. The C2 also has an 83" model but it runs about $1,000 more than the 77".

Old 09-26-2022, 02:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

No, quite the opposite.

I have:

1) a thirteen year old 60" Samsung plasma TV,
2) a nine year old 55" Panasonic plasma TV, and
3) an older off brand flatscreen TV of some kind that's about 20".

The last one I only use as output for my GameCube (old Nintendo gaming console). I'd use it for my laptop but the built in laptop screen is already 17" so it's not worth the effort.

I don't watch either of two larger TV's for more than an few hours a year, OTA. I think I am the only person here who really DID cut the cable on my cable TV, and didn't just switch over to paying for streaming video.

So, to make a long story shorter, the last thing I'd want to do is spend a lot of $$$$ getting a bigger TV. I'm 74 years old already (how did that happen? ) and there are so many other things I want to do in my few remaining years, instead of watching what Hollywood is turning out these days.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I upgraded recently from about 30in to 55in at our mountain cabin. Sitting about 6 ft away normally. I like it better than the smaller screen but it is not a huge difference.
Not a huge difference?!

When you first set the 55" TV up in your cabin, didn't it seem a lot bigger than the 30"?

BTW, 6 feet away from a 55" TV is the recommended distance.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #11
gone traveling

Let me answer #4 - why didn't I do this sooner

I too have been thinking of moving to a newer and bigger TV, but may wait for black friday sales. I currently have a 65" and am think about going a bit bigger. My entertainment center may accommodate something bigger although it was designed for 65". We sit about 9 -10' away.

So which sets are you contemplating, I was thinking either LG C2 or Samsung S95B.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Let me answer #4 - why didn't I do this sooner

I too have been thinking of moving to a newer and bigger TV, but may wait for black friday sales. I currently have a 65" and am think about going a bit bigger. My entertainment center may accommodate something bigger although it was designed for 65". We sit about 9 -10' away.

So which sets are you contemplating, I was thinking either LG C2 or Samsung S95B.
Got my eyes set on an LG C2. You can't get the Samsung S95B larger than a 65". Even if Samsung did offer a 75" or 77" version I probably would get the LG C2. I don't like the Tizen operating system on the Samsung. I'm not wild about webOS on the LG either, prefer Roku for ease of use and selection of apps. But I will try the webOS and see if I like it. The Samsung is supposed to be a tad bit brighter than the LG but in my room setting that's not an issue.

Also, I have this thing about buying technology from the company that first develops it and patents it. LG's been doing OLED's for a while now, thus, it's LG for OLED technology.

I too, will wait for Black Friday, or at least wait until November. If I buy from a store that has price matching and a 30 day price guarantee (i.e. Best Buy) I can buy it a week before Black Friday when presumably inventory levels are higher, then if someone runs the Black Friday special at a lower price than I purchased, I bring my receipt to Best Buy and get back the difference.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
You might be interested in this.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r.../best-oled-tv/

No paywall so anyone can access it.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:23 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

9.5 is pretty close for 75 or 77". You don't want to have to turn your head to see the full screen.

But, some think bigger is always better. There aren't any more pixels in a 77", they are just bigger, so not sure.

65" might be ok from < 10 feet.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:33 PM   #15

1. Sit about 10ft away.
2. Old TV was 65".
3. New TV is 85".
4. No trouble adjusting.
5. Can't really get anything bigger in the space.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
1. Sit about 10ft away.
2. Old TV was 65".
3. New TV is 85".
4. No trouble adjusting.
5. Can't really get anything bigger in the space.
Love it!

Old 09-26-2022, 02:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Not a huge difference?!

When you first set the 55" TV up in your cabin, didn't it seem a lot bigger than the 30"?

BTW, 6 feet away from a 55" TV is the recommended distance.

Yes, very noticeable at first for sure and again, I prefer it, but it isn't "life changing". I guess I'm just not that particular when it comes to TV. For example, years ago, I thought surround sound would be really cool. I set it all up and it WAS pretty cool, but after a short while, the extra steps to turn on surround sound didn't seem worth it anymore and we gave up on it. Same with picture quality. I would never pay extra to download or stream HD instead of SD. For my purpose, I can't tell any difference so why pay extra. But hey, I was watching TV on a black and white 13inch portable until the age of 28
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:52 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Got my eyes set on an LG C2. You can't get the Samsung S95B larger than a 65". Even if Samsung did offer a 75" or 77" version I probably would get the LG C2. I don't like the Tizen operating system on the Samsung. I'm not wild about webOS on the LG either, prefer Roku for ease of use and selection of apps. But I will try the webOS and see if I like it. The Samsung is supposed to be a tad bit brighter than the LG but in my room setting that's not an issue.

Also, I have this thing about buying technology from the company that first develops it and patents it. LG's been doing OLED's for a while now, thus, it's LG for OLED technology.

I too, will wait for Black Friday, or at least wait until November. If I buy from a store that has price matching and a 30 day price guarantee (i.e. Best Buy) I can buy it a week before Black Friday when presumably inventory levels are higher, then if someone runs the Black Friday special at a lower price than I purchased, I bring my receipt to Best Buy and get back the difference.
You are right, the Samsung cuts off at 65", I was just going from memory and did not recall that. I have had Samsung TVs for many years and have never had issues. Sony might be another one to consider. We mostly watch sports and movies. Good idea on the price match via Best Buy.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:53 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm considering getting a new TV. I would be going from a 55" to a 75" or 77" TV. I sit 9.5 feet away from the TV screen.

If you've gotten a new, bigger TV recently I have some questions for you.

1. How far away is your seating position from the TV screen?

2. What was the size of your old (smaller) TV?

3. What is the size of your new (larger) TV?

4. What was your experience to acclimating to the new size?

5. Now that you've had the new TV for a while, did you get the right size? Or should you have gone bigger? Or smaller?

Any other comments would be appreciated.
I previously posted a thread on our new 86" LG a few months ago.

It's wonderful, DW loves it.

1. 13 feet. We renovated the room around the new TV. For a time (early July - we watched Macy's NYC fireworks on it), while the room was in shambles, we were watching it from a distance of 7 feet and it was overwhelming. You felt like you were in the picture.

2. 50" Panasonic Plasma

3. 86" LG LED

4. The new size is immersive. It adds another dimension. We've also been extremely surprised with the sound quality - so much so that we still have not connected the (very good) sound bar we have from the old one - not even just to test it.

5. We got the right size. The 86" and 82" LGs in this model are 120 Hz refresh rate. The ones smaller than 82" are significantly less expensive, but only 60 Hz refresh rate. We think we made the right decision going larger with the higher refresh rate, even though the price was a step higher. Even then, because the model was being discontinued we received an extremely good price for it.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

At this moment I'm sitting 8' from my 55" tv and it seems perfect. My sofa sits diagonally from the set so at times I sit 6' from it. My recliner location is more like 10'. The set is about 4 years old so no plans to replace it but when I do I might consider a 65" one. I know most tv reviews suggest to go as big as your space and budget allows but I don't necessarily subscribe to that.