Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't say a word to anybody until my pension kicked in, then I told my boss that I would like to get laid off, i.e., paid to quit, if at all possible. Is that a possibility in your situation, given that the company seems to be trying to push out the older workers in favor of the new ones?
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Clarity
Old 03-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

Clarity

That might be the key, pushing myself more into the circle of those creating this "new" position. I have approached the key manager that I know is driving the change and offered to help with the hiring without success. Too many assumptions can be made when those offers to help are ignored. Within that circle is little I.T. savvy and tack in employee relations (my skills with people has always been a strong point).
As I think about this the best approach may be to get out ahead of the "inner circle" with a two pointed strategy. Begin to share with other staff throughout the office that I am retiring a year from now (could be sooner but strategically Ill publicly keep it out longer). By sharing I will help direct opinion and assumptions by others from a being pushed out to what it really is, a changing of the guard.
Second, get the planning phase out of the closet, there is no reason for this to be secretive and it's really a reflection of poor management style. By pushing it to a public level I have a better chance of getting some involvement in the process. This would accomplish both a better outcome for the organization and a more positive ending of a 40 year I.T. career.
I am feeling way better about this, I do hope you all realize the value of your wisdom shared. If anyone has thoughts on my new laid plans I welcome them. Excellent advice thank you.
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Pension timing
Old 03-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #23

Pension timing

This is a plan of mine as well, once the pension is available to start at anytime, being let go with a "paid to quit" agreement. I will be way more relaxed when the pension is locked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I didn't say a word to anybody until my pension kicked in, then I told my boss that I would like to get laid off, i.e., paid to quit, if at all possible. Is that a possibility in your situation, given that the company seems to be trying to push out the older workers in favor of the new ones?
Timing
Old 03-26-2017, 11:23 AM   #24

Timing

Its a tough call the timing of pension announcement. Because I have already informed the President and as I think back over the last year I have slipped a couple of innuendos about one day not being there to others on the management team, I'm not sure that I have a lot to lose with going more public.
What i have to gain is putting a label on the transition rather than leaving it to the office gossip pool. That has high value to me, I assume because of a major life transition coupled with a loss of partial identity.
We all want to feel valued, even in the artificially contrived business world, its a basic human need. I have always valued myself as being above that need, keeping myself centered and balanced in how I define myself and allow others too. This is big one for me that I am quite sure I will smile everyday past my retirement date looking back.

Need to take the 4 hour drive to my sailboat more often, as soon as I step on the docks, spy my boat waiting for me, all these petty thoughts melt away.

Fair winds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Well that sounds a little better, the President has considered your needs along with the needs of the organization, even if it's not ideal in your view. There is no way they could get away with pushing you out before you're eligible, and it appears the Pres has acknowledged that. It's not ideal, but your transition will be better than many others, as you acknowledge.

We all provide value to our employer, but almost no one is as valuable as they think, whether a clerk or a CEO or anyone in between. I watched hundreds of employees who thought, even said, they were absolutely indispensable replaced with little to no disruption. I replaced many very talented, well-liked people, and our organization moved forward with continued progress/improvement through them all. Though we missed some of their expertise, the replacements often bring new skills that the valued predecessor didn't. When I left, I told my organization I expect you to break every record we set while I was here. Hopefully there will be some things we've put in place here that will continue to serve the organization, but I EXCEPT you to improve in those areas where I may have had blindspots or biases. The sooner the better. That's how it always works, and should. Even Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, George Washington, etc. were replaced, and they were/are truly extraordinary.

BUT, AND only you know your actual situation. I see no advantage to broadly announcing your retirement any sooner than necessary. I told my boss 3 months out to give Corp more than enough time to replace me (even though I'd already groomed an onsite replacement for them, and he got my job), but expressly told him I'd rather WE didn't announce until 3 weeks before my retirement. He said OK, and then put out a company wide email the next day. It was pretty awkward, especially at my site, for those last 3 months - everyone reacted differently to dealing with a "lame duck."

Five years from now, none of this will bother you much if at all.

And as a fellow lifelong sailor, I'd be looking forward too if I was you!
Old 03-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassinthru View Post
That might be the key, pushing myself more into the circle of those creating this "new" position. I have approached the key manager that I know is driving the change and offered to help with the hiring without success. Too many assumptions can be made when those offers to help are ignored. Within that circle is little I.T. savvy and tack in employee relations (my skills with people has always been a strong point).
As I think about this the best approach may be to get out ahead of the "inner circle" with a two pointed strategy. Begin to share with other staff throughout the office that I am retiring a year from now (could be sooner but strategically Ill publicly keep it out longer). By sharing I will help direct opinion and assumptions by others from a being pushed out to what it really is, a changing of the guard.
Second, get the planning phase out of the closet, there is no reason for this to be secretive and it's really a reflection of poor management style. By pushing it to a public level I have a better chance of getting some involvement in the process. This would accomplish both a better outcome for the organization and a more positive ending of a 40 year I.T. career.
I am feeling way better about this, I do hope you all realize the value of your wisdom shared. If anyone has thoughts on my new laid plans I welcome them. Excellent advice thank you.
Yeah, against my experience/instincts, and I've already posted from my experience - but you indeed know your circumstances, and what's best in your situation. You'll make the best decisions for yourself.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, if the hiring manager isn't interested, use Gartner reports or research, if available to lead others to the conclusion you want them to consider. Even highlight key thoughts and make them available to the group. It does not always have to be delivered under your name. Some of my best work is accomplished by others, plant the seed.

Stay positive and stay a team player even in survival mode. It can be challenging and a kick in the pride, as you are not going out as you hoped. My assumption.

Tell your trusted co-workers, it's a great move as you approach retirement with a wink. ;-) Have fun and don't let it stress you out as 6 months can go very quick. At the end of the day, you should feel less stress... less BS that you will own.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To the OP - I would not reveal anything of my planned retirement to anyone - unless I was willing to accept that it might be looked upon by management as "giving up" and leading them to perhaps terminate me sooner than planned.

I am also in IT and currently plan to wrap up my 38 year career in a few months. In planning for ER I consciously decided not to take personally any actions Megacorp took that I might deem as impacting my "value". I take the long term view - I was valued enough over almost 38 years to have reached a high position and receive salary and bonuses that supported exactly the lifestyle I wanted and will allow me to have a comfortable retirement. The "forest" is very enjoyable, what happens to a particular "tree" within that forest does not change anything.

I am working just enough to meet deadlines, support my team members, and not to burn bridges. I have not ruled out accepting part time work after retirement - I will not need it, but it is always good to have the option so no need to close that door for no reason.

Tags
demotion, discrimination, respect, technology