How Do I Prepare 75 Year Old LP's to Sell Them?

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is odd posting this in the Technology, Media, and e-Gadgets forum, but the subject matter is media, so I guess it fits here.

I'm winding down my deceased parent's estate and there are just a few items remaining. My dad had about 60 or 75 vinyl LP records from the WWII and post WWII era. These LP's include recordings by Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Dinah Shore, etc. I've Googled some of the titles and most of the ones I looked up are listed on eBay (and elsewhere) in the $15 to $35 range. So, there is some value here, and I hesitate to throw them away in case someone that digs these older recordings would like them.

These have been stored vertically, stacked one on top of another, pancake style, in a large cardboard box. There is a significant amount of dust and grit on the dust jackets of these LPs. Some don't have dust jackets; some are multi-LP sets in thin cardboard holders.

I would like to make a listing of the artists, titles, and recording company for the purposes of selling these LPs. Take some pictures. My question is this: How would you go about cleaning these LPs without damaging them? I suppose the ideal solution would be a non-contact method of cleaning. I've thought of buying several cans of compressed air and blowing the dust off them. What would you do?

Are they 78s or 33s. I would be tempted to make a list take some photos and sell them as a lot without washing. You might not get top $ but it would be expedient

Are they 78s or 33s. I would be tempted to make a list take some photos and sell them as a lot without washing. You might not get top $ but it would be expedient

I think they are 78's.

Just handling them to record their details might be damaging, there's a fair amount of dust and dirt on them. I'm afraid pics of them as they are right now would not make for a good impression in an ad. I assume a serious collector would want to know how they've been stored and maintained.

But yeah, they might go fast if they were untreated.

How about a small cordless leaf blower?

I presume you are being facetious, but actually that wouldn't be a bad idea for a first pass at a cleaning, assuming the blower was held a good distance away.

Well, then I guess I would choose between either RetMD21's suggestion above, or else this:
Cleaning 78rpm Records

D'oh! I didn't even consider Googling for this.

Actually, soapy water in the kitchen sink, rinsing, and blot drying with a soft towel, then placing in a dish drying rack sound entirely reasonable. And it would be fairly easy to do. I'd probably need to change the water a couple times though. Might degrade the paper label in the center though. I guess I'll test a couple of records and see what happens.

Thanks for the link.

I think they are 78's.

Just handling them to record their details might be damaging, there's a fair amount of dust and dirt on them. I'm afraid pics of them as they are right now would not make for a good impression in an ad. I assume a serious collector would want to know how they've been stored and maintained.

But yeah, they might go fast if they were untreated.

You might want to get an opinion on that from one of the collector sites. I'm thinking that maybe a collector would have their own methods of cleaning, and might think that ones cleaned by an 'amateur' might be damaged in some way.

Kind of like when someone refinishes an antique, the collectors want the original finish, even if it doesn't look so good. If they want it refinished, they'll take it to a pro restorer, not some guy with some steel wool, a rag, and a can of stain from the hardware store.

-ERD50

I presume you are being facetious, but actually that wouldn't be a bad idea for a first pass at a cleaning, assuming the blower was held a good distance away.

Actually, I wasn't intending to be facetious... I thought it would be a touchless way to remove loose dust.

I like the water rinse and let air dry in a dishrack even better.

You might want to get an opinion on that from one of the collector sites. I'm thinking that maybe a collector would have their own methods of cleaning, and might think that ones cleaned by an 'amateur' might be damaged in some way.

Kind of like when someone refinishes an antique, the collectors want the original finish, even if it doesn't look so good. If they want it refinished, they'll take it to a pro restorer, not some guy with some steel wool, a rag, and a can of stain from the hardware store. -ERD50
+1

I would gently clean the dust off the jackets with a dry cloth before taking pictures but not touch the LPs themselves. I wouldn't bother taking pictures -- a black disc is a black disc. (Exception: IIRC there were a few red LPs back then.) I might also note: "paper inner jacket intact/good condition, no visible scratches on record surface" or stuff like that. But to mess with the records themselves, no.

Kind of like when someone refinishes an antique, the collectors want the original finish, even if it doesn't look so good. If they want it refinished, they'll take it to a pro restorer, not some guy with some steel wool, a rag, and a can of stain from the hardware store.

-ERD50

That link provided by Braumeister that told to use soapy water was from 78rpmcommunity.com. I assume they are collectors. The article mentioned there are various methods of cleaning espoused by their members.

Still, you make a good point. A collector would probably want to do the cleaning themselves.

+1

I would gently clean the dust off the jackets with a dry cloth before taking pictures but not touch the LPs themselves.

Yep, probably best not to mess with the actual LP.

I wouldn't bother taking pictures -- a black disc is a black disc. (Exception: IIRC there were a few red LPs back then.)

I was thinking of taking pictures of the record label with it still inside the dust jacket, since the record label has a bunch of information printed on it and not removing the record and taking a picture of the disc itself.

I might also note: "paper inner jacket intact/good condition, no visible scratches on record surface" or stuff like that. But to mess with the records themselves, no.

With the amount of dust and grit on/around the records/jackets I'm kind of leery of taking them out of the jacket to check for visible scratches. I'm afraid the act of taking them out and reinserting them might do some actual scratching.

Unless you want to put the time into getting top dollar I would take them, as is, to a store that buys and sells records. Most towns of any size has at least one. They will probably give 10-50% of their value and you do nothing.

I went one step further when I needed to clean out several hundred LPs from my Mother's place when we were cleaning it out. I didn't think there was any super valuable records and I gave them all to a friend that collected vinyl with the understanding that any he sold for more than a few dollars we would split the profits. If he kept them for his collection they were his. So far he has saved a few for himself and donated some to a thrift store. He is way behind on his sorting.

Unless you want to put the time into getting top dollar I would take them, as is, to a store that buys and sells records. Most towns of any size has at least one. They will probably give 10-50% of their value and you do nothing.

This was my first thought.

Based on the OP's number's, the collection is worth less than $3k, and maybe closer to $1k, at RETAIL values. Is the objective to squeeze that last penny out of the value, or to get some value while putting the records back into hands that might actually enjoy them?

Personally, I would find a good home, and not worry too much about the value.

OTOH, I WOULD look thought the records to make sure there isn't a very rare recording worth big dollars. Not likely, but worth a quick look.

This was my first thought.

Based on the OP's number's, the collection is worth less than $3k, and maybe closer to $1k, at RETAIL values. Is the objective to squeeze that last penny out of the value, or to get some value while putting the records back into hands that might actually enjoy them?

Personally, I would find a good home, and not worry too much about the value.

OTOH, I WOULD look thought the records to make sure there isn't a very rare recording worth big dollars. Not likely, but worth a quick look.
I think the problem could be the executor's fiduciary duty to the estate to try to get the best price possible. If the relationship with any of the other heirs isn't great, they could object to any decision that wasn't backed up by research (like price as-is vs. restored, plus an estimate to have them professionally restored). If the estate distribution has been even a little testy, I'd suggest the aforementioned as a minimum. But that aside, I agree, it's probably best to just ask a few dealers for their best price for the whole collection as-is and be done with it, as the restoration is probably not going to be particularly cost-efficient, even if you do it yourself.

I have not tried this but I have heard that it works well, white glue carefully applied to the grooved surface, let dry, and peeled away, pulling the dirt from the surface without leaving a residue. I would try it on a low value record first to learn its effectiveness and as with anything practice makes perfect.

Back
Top Bottom