Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2020, 10:10 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

More than three is a lot of bookkeeping. That said, I have 4, but only use 3.

Main email - general accounts with websites, or social media friends, or when setting up an account to buy something online.
Primary email - for finances (bank, broker), and personal friends, volunteer assignments. Anything that ends up here is important.
Special account - could be for any site I consider low security, any temporary volunteer job where I don't expect to continue correspondence.
Gmail - have it because I use their products, don't use their email.

Any one of these can be set up to accomodate email from all four so I don't have to check all four. But I prefer to, so I don't confuse how I reply.

- Rita
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2020, 10:29 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post
Same one forever.....ish.... since about 1980 or so....
Wow! That's 40 years!!!

I thought I had had mine for a long time. LOL I have had my main e-mail address for 24 years. I also have, but seldom if ever use two alternate e-mail addresses.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:42 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use an alumni email address forwarded to my primary gmail address for accounts that I really care about. I also have a few junk email addresses forwarded to my primary gmail address.

Primary email addresses (Mindspring, Comcast, Verizon,...) used to come and go with changes in ISPs. Rerouting the alumni email allows me to quickly 'update' all sites if I get a new email address. That hasn't happened in recent years with the switch to gmail but I'm ready to quickly move on if gmail ever annoys me or has a serious security breach.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm..I was actually able to get from Gmail an email address based upon my own name. It is my first name, middle initial, then last name...but with a twist. The first name is my nickname which is similar to but not my actual first name. Think something like Peggy for someone whose actual name is Margaret (this is not mine, just an example). I know a lot of people use their name for their main email account but some people feel it allows people to too easily identify you from the email address or to (more worrisome) guess your email address from your name.

If I used this I would use it only for actual personal friends or people who already know my real name (main accounts such as credit cards, mortgage company, insurance). My actual sensitive financial stuff will have a separate email.

Anyway I've read anything would appreciate some feedback on the following:

1. I know I am going to have at least one separate email for investment accounts and for my bank. I am undecided to whether to do one email for just those accounts that I use for nothing else.

Or should I get an email for each investment company and for each bank (far more tedious but could do)? I lean to just doing one.

2. But assuming I do one, does the bank belong in there at all?

The bank is important of course, but we keep relatively little in the bank at any one time and it is FDIC insured. So maybe I should treat the bank more like the mortgage company and just use it with my "regular" main email account that has my personal friends and other important places such as mortgage company, insurers, credit cards.

3. OK, lets assume I have one email for investment accounts (and maybe bank) and a second email for my personal friends/family, mortgage company, credit cards, insurance.

I then have an email for regular stuff (as in 2 above). I was going to then have a separate email for everyday merchants and then another for social media/forums (think Facebook and this forum). Given what sengsational said though I wonder if that is worth it?

Maybe I should just combine the everyday vendors/merchants with the social media/forums. I would, of course, have a junk email as well.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was working, I used four, on three domains.
One for personal email, one for work mail, one for financial matters, and one gmail for back up. The last because sometimes on long cruises,in Asia particularly, the ships email system would not complete either sending or receiving other addresses.
This worked for me because it insured all my email was presorted, saving time.
Gulfbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #26
gone traveling

I have about 10. On Yahoo mail, you can setup as many aliases as you want that point to same account. But I also have a few outside Yahoo that are tied to financial or more private use.
JustVisitingThisPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVisitingThisPlanet View Post
I have about 10. On Yahoo mail, you can setup as many aliases as you want that point to same account. But I also have a few outside Yahoo that are tied to financial or more private use.
Do you separate out credits cards from other merchants where you may buy something online (think a website you buy something from)? Do you separate out forums such as this one? Social media?

I am struggling with where to create the groups for each email.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:24 PM   #28
gone traveling

^I don't have a strict system but in general use one alias for shopping services, another for forums, another for streaming/media services, another for temp services that might spam me, etc. No big deal if not followed strictly. And then a password manager also tracks the email used per site.

BTW, would suggest not using your ISP's email service for personal use as it might tend to lock you in to them.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:36 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVisitingThisPlanet View Post

BTW, would suggest not using your ISP's email service for personal use as it might tend to lock you in to them.
About 17 years ago I set up my own domain name for exactly that reason. I figured that if I changed ISPs I didn't want to have to change my email address.

Later when Gmail came out I got a Gmail account and started using it to fetch my domain email and to send it but didn't switch entirely to Gmail mostly because I was worried it would go away and back then you couldn't get an archive of your mail.

Now, I have less reason for the separate domain. I am not worried Gmail will vanish and, in any event, I can download my emails. And having it fetch my emails is sometimes tedious as it doesn't do it immediately. And, Godaddy was just about to start charging for email on accounts where they host the domain (until now it has been free).

So, the idea is just to get a bunch of gmail emails and forward all of them (except the investment account one) to my existing gmail account.

Currently leaning to this line up:

1. Investment account email that doesn't get forwarded to my main Gmail account. I keep it separate. On the fence whether to have one for those accounts or a separate one for each institution.

2. Email for personal friends/family and major accounts that already know my actual real life identity (this email has a variation of my nickname and last name).

3. Email for most vendors/merchants and maybe some long term forums (like ER but not the forum I went to just to get a specific question answered).

4. Everything else - most other forums, online sites, social media and places I just use a throwaway for. These are mostly things where if I had to change my email it would be fine.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
If you think about what you are protecting from, it makes it more clear what to do, I think. With the financial institutions, big reputable ones, they are not highly likely to let your email address escape. So using one for all seems reasonable to me.

Then there are the random web site sign-ups, stores, etc. They routinely have data breaches. Those get a low value email. The spammers and scammers get the email address and password from a breach, then try the same email and password on the popular banks in your geography. A different password everywhere is highly advised (ie never reuse a password).

Personal correspondence email is a problem because the email address gets added to a distribution list for jokes or something, then a spammer/scammer breaks into one person's account and now everyone on the distribution gets spammed. Or another vector...some well-meaning friend types your email address in order to send you a "greeting card" from a shady site. Either way, the email address that "everybody has for you" is the spammiest one of all. If you abandon it, granny will never update and you loose touch.

I think the younger generation has the right idea: just don't use email
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Email hygiene is probably easier for retired types like us. When you are setting up new investment and credit accounts, it can get a bit cumbersome.

I have 3 accounts: one I have had forever and still get mail on it from friends, but also spam and financial correspondence. A second is the "new" email I just give to close friends. 3rd is Gmail account that I never use except for things like Google services.

Each is with a different ISP. I always considered fragmenting my digital footprint to be more important than security of email accounts, which are by definition insecure.

Perhaps I should rethink this. I could carve out an address for financial insritutions fairly easily.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #32
gone traveling

^Yeah many major services data mine the hell out of us, even buying data from other services. The more email addresses you use, the more dispersed and less likely data miners can tie all of your activity together. Or at least decreasing chances.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If you think about what you are protecting from, it makes it more clear what to do, I think. With the financial institutions, big reputable ones, they are not highly likely to let your email address escape. So using one for all seems reasonable to me.
Thanks for your very thoughtful reply. It is helpful.

The only concern is that if for some reason it does get out I've used it at other places. Really a total of 3, one bank and two for investments. But it isn't like I ever email any of these places. The correspondence is really one way and of course it is in their records. That said, my user name is different on all of them and, of course, passwords are not even similar.

Quote:
Then there are the random web site sign-ups, stores, etc. They routinely have data breaches. Those get a low value email. The spammers and scammers get the email address and password from a breach, then try the same email and password on the popular banks in your geography. A different password everywhere is highly advised (ie never reuse a password).
No, I don't use the same password. As many I have seen do, for low value places I use a "core" password that I then modify for each place. The good part is that I can remember it and it is easy. I would not use that for places like credit cards or major merchants. I am thinking to combine all of these types of places to one email account. However, I would then have a separate account for the truly temp stuff. The website you have to give an email address to get something you want from them. Or the forum for some problem you went to in order to address the problem and will never go back. I plan to use a sort of throwaway account for that. I can easily just get rid of it if it gets too spamming.

Quote:
Personal correspondence email is a problem because the email address gets added to a distribution list for jokes or something, then a spammer/scammer breaks into one person's account and now everyone on the distribution gets spammed. Or another vector...some well-meaning friend types your email address in order to send you a "greeting card" from a shady site. Either way, the email address that "everybody has for you" is the spammiest one of all. If you abandon it, granny will never update and you loose touch.

I think the younger generation has the right idea: just don't use email
Honestly, my kids rarely use email. Normally if they have to send something to someone that is required. I pretty much only email them if it is to send them something. Most of the older generation has died out so I don't have to worry about that. I have a few older but they are all email good citizens. And, I don't have anyone who does really any of the unsafe email stuff. Most of my personal email is for friends or similar aged relatives who don't live nearby so we keep up by email. In any event that group of friends/family that I give email to is -- let me check -- 9 people not including my kids.

As far as the email I've used for the last 18 years I actually will not be getting rid of it. I will keep it for at least several years. The domain doesn't renew until middle of next year and I will probably renew it then and transfer to Google domains. I will keep it just in case anything important comes in but I just won't use it any more.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
And even better: Gmail ignores everything after a + sign to the left of the @ sign. So I.fired.2020@gmail.com and Ifired2020+ERForumorg@gmail.com and I.fired.2020+contest123@gmail.com all go to the same place.
Schwab does not allow email addresses that include the "+" symbol.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've always used just two:

#1 for any person or entity that I have a personal or financial relationship with.
#2 for everything else

Also, I very occasionally use a free email masking service if I want to stay anonymous and not give away my email address.
nassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #36

I now have three: gmail for my personal account; yahoo for daily reading (the week, bloomberg, pew, 538, AP, etc): and hotmail for public email (local businesses, etc).

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
Schwab does not allow email addresses that include the "+" symbol.
I've had the same email address since 1993. It's my name separated by an underscore "_" through hotmail. It's served me well, never getting too junked up an the filters work pretty well. However, recently I've started having some problems with certain sites that don't recognize the underscore as a valid email character. I can't remember which sites off the top of my head, but it's annoying. You can't even make a complaint or comment to the site, since they always ask for your email.

I do have a few others. I've got a business email/domain for our small business that is used on a nearly daily basis. The others have mostly been temporary throwaway addresses, used to sign up for something I wasn't sure about.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I have worked out 5 email addresses:

1. One email address is new and I am using it for investment accounts/bank. That address will not interact with the others at all.

2. A new email address that will be for friends and significant accounts that I do ongoing business with (think mortgage company, that kind of thing). Also, will use for places like insurance, doctors, utilities, and so on. Still this is a relatively small group of entities and people.

3. An existing gmail account that I used only a limited amount in the past. This will be really the main day to day account for most merchants and others I deal with that don't fall elsewhere. The mail to the other accounts (except #1) will be forwarded to this account.

4. Email for things that are more temporary or occasional in nature or where I think there is a risk of spam. So the forum I had to sign up to in order to ask a question about a specific product. Or, the vendor I buy one thing from and will probably never use again. The point is that I am mostly not having ongoing contact with these people so it is easy to just replace this account. I will also use it for most social media accounts.

5. A separate email address for my battle.net account. While I have an authenticator on that account, I want to minimize any risk of problems so I am using an email address I set up a few years ago but haven't really used except a few times.

The biggest slow down in doing all this is having the change over from my existing accounts. I am going through my password manager to do this and it is slow going. I am not getting rid of my old email address so I have plenty of time. But this will probably take several weeks if not months to complete.