Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I still have (and occasionally still use) an old laptop that runs Vista; I want to say it’s probably 15 - 20 years old, but I just don’t recall.
In 2010 I splurged on a first gen IPad, which became my daily workhorse.
When Win 10 became the norm I felt obligated to upgrade the laptop to a new Dell machine. It actually sees very little use.
Meanwhile I’m looking at my second IPad upgrade.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2021, 12:32 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I splurged on an LG Gram 17 this year. Previously bought new laptops in 2018, 2014, and I think 2011. I'm using my old laptop as a Plex Server. I'm sure I could've run with that a lot longer, but I really like the new lightweight laptop with 2 SSD drives and the 17" screen.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Over the years, I've tended to replace both desktops and laptops around the 7 year mark. My current laptop is about 7 years old, so I'm thinking of getting a new one fairly soon (maybe around Black Friday this year). And I recently replaced my 8-year-old desktop with a new one. For me, going beyond about 7 years generally leads to frustrations with performance, speed, and reliability, and that's also when components like power supplies, memory sticks, and I/O ports (like the latest HDMI or USB ports) start to develop problems or become obsolete.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #64

Current "laptop" is almost 3 years old. Used quotes because it is big and heavy, more portable than lap top, which is what I wanted since I really use it as a desk top. From my earlier discussion here:

Quote:
Pulled the trigger. I had a hard time finding the options I wanted in a standard unit, without topping $1,200 and getting a gaming computer. So I customized one on line. $870+tax.

i5 8250U processor, 17.3" 1920x1080 screen, 512 GB PCle NVMe M.2 SSD, 1 x 8 GB RAM (I can always add more later if I think I need it). It does have a DVD-RW drive. No HDD.
Still very happy with it. No complaints at all. Does not say above, but it is a HP.

Last one lasted about 9 years. I expect this one to last at least that long.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:03 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not the answer to the question but my company issue MacBook pro (released in 2018) with i7 cpu that was close to $2k has cpu passmark score of 7500. I just got a Lenovo IdeaPad with Ryzen 5500u and that cpu has 14000 passmark score from Amazon for $470.

Twice of the CPU power and 1/4 of the price. I like both PCs and Macs as long as they do the job I need but it is still amazing how processor performance can differ in three years and the PC/Mac pricing difference can be huge.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:28 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
Not the answer to the question but my company issue MacBook pro (released in 2018) with i7 cpu that was close to $2k has cpu passmark score of 7500. I just got a Lenovo IdeaPad with Ryzen 5500u and that cpu has 14000 passmark score from Amazon for $470.

Twice of the CPU power and 1/4 of the price. I like both PCs and Macs as long as they do the job I need but it is still amazing how processor performance can differ in three years and the PC/Mac pricing difference can be huge.
And hence the phrase regarding phones and computers: you pay an "Apple Tax".

Full disclosure, I have a iPhone and pay the tax as well.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:43 AM   #67

Mac Mini, 7 years old for home use.
2.6 GHz, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

Everything just works on the Mac. I will need to upgrade within a few years and will buy another one.

I have always only used PCs for work.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
MacAir
Old 09-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

MacAir

My 2013 MacAir laptop is no longer supported by Apple with hardware (it really needs a new battery) or OS. Other than a couple of applications that I never use, I have all the latest versions of Numbers and Pages, which are about all I need. I store my photos on an external hard drive. I don’t need it on the road anymore since I FIREd, so I use it more or less as a desktop. I’m having trouble justifying an upgrade.
Murph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:37 AM   #69

Desktop PC is maybe five or six years old. Not exactly sure, as my son built it from parts and has changed some parts since he first put it together!
Old 09-11-2021, 01:35 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

One MacBook Pro 13” from 2018 and one iMac 27” from 2011 which I use as a TV
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #71
gone traveling

Current desktop is a 2013 iMac, it's been great but could benefit from a memory upgrade. Have a Dell XPS410 sitting on a cabinet collecting dust, not sure why I haven't gotten rid of it. I do not miss Microsoft OS updates for that machine.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #72

My main computer is a "27-inch, Late 2009" iMac purchased in Mar 2010. It's running a 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo with 8 GB of DDR3 ram. Meets all my needs of surfing, iPhoto, and financial management. I pull the screen off it and blow the dust out every couple years and maybe that's why it's lasted so long. Plan to keep it till it won't turn on. Of course, with sleep mode I rarely shut this thing down and don't get any updates as it's so old. Running 10.13 High Sierra on her.

Also have a 2011 Macbook Air for mobility.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:31 PM   #73

Still running my core i7-920 desktop from early 2009 when it was the latest and greatest. Upgraded RAM from 4 to 16 GB and have a 4 TB hard drive. Don't anticipate needing to upgrade anytime soon as it is plenty speedy and don't care if it won't run windows 11.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:42 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

I’m using a 2018 MacBook Pro with a 2013 27” iMac in storage for a backup. Both have 16mb ram but I need something more powerful.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #75
Dryer sheet wannabe

Is there a good way to tell the actual age of a PC/Laptop?

Running a ThinkPad T450 that transitioned from work laptop to personal laptop when MicroCorp decided to upgrade to new ThinkPads a few years ago. The T450 is running an i5-5300U CPU, which was apparently released in early 2015 so I guess this one is 5+ years old. Swapped the HDD for an SSD when it became my personal laptop and now it runs better than the newer work laptop since it doesn't have the corporate security/monitoring software etc. bogging it down. The 14" now feels like the perfect balance of function and size after preferring a desktop for personal PC for 20 years
gotlost33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotlost33 View Post
Is there a good way to tell the actual age of a PC/Laptop?

Running a ThinkPad T450 that transitioned from work laptop to personal laptop when MicroCorp decided to upgrade to new ThinkPads a few years ago. The T450 is running an i5-5300U CPU, which was apparently released in early 2015 so I guess this one is 5+ years old. Swapped the HDD for an SSD when it became my personal laptop and now it runs better than the newer work laptop since it doesn't have the corporate security/monitoring software etc. bogging it down. The 14" now feels like the perfect balance of function and size after preferring a desktop for personal PC for 20 years
I usually look up the model number on an internet search and read reviews.

But there are more objective way. Tips include looking at the BIOS or when the OS was installed. This isn't exact though as I person could buy an older PC then upgrade with later version OS and BIOS.

Quote:
Sometimes condition comes when you want to know the age of your computer. There might be various reason why you want to know that. Windows operating system is one of the best operating system available in the market. It has all the possible tools and utilities which users require while working on a machine running it.
Similarly, it also tracks the date which tells when the manufacturer installed the operating system on the machine for the first time. The same date is also the date when you have purchased the computer using which you can quickly calculate computer age. But it only shows you the correct date if you have not performed the fresh installation of the operating system.
https://geekermag.com/how-old-is-my-computer/
Old 09-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #77
Dryer sheet wannabe

I replaced my 8 year old HP all in one system with an Apple macbook about 18 months ago. I really couldn't be happier. So nice to have everything synced up to my Iphone and Ipad, such as notepad, pictures, contacts, etc. I also bought a 23" Benq monitor for home use, i just unplug the laptop when I want portability, and with micrsoft office, everything transfered over seamlessly. After a lifetime of PC's it is pretty refreshing to work with this.
Getyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Just added a desktop
Old 09-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Just added a desktop

I have three units right now - an older HP laptop I put Linux Mint on, my former fulltime Lenovo laptop that I use now for our travels (i5-based), and a Lenovo desktop unit I just purchased refurbed that is great - i7, 16GB of memory, and 512GB SSD, that I marry to a 32" monitor on my desk. The reason for getting the desktop is that I wanted more USB ports, etc built-in, and the energy usage (likely due to the SSD) is exactly the same as the laptop, 65w. Quiet as heck and it works great. Never buy new; too many quality refurbed machines out there from reputable resellers.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:15 PM   #79

I just built a powerhouse computer with an AMD Ryzen 5950X CPU, 21 TB of SSDs (solid state drives, with four comprising two RAIDs), an NVidea RTX 3090 video card, an 850-watt Seasonic power supply, and 128GB of RAM. I ended up doubling my original budget, mostly due to the unavailability of the CPU and GPU. I added a 4K 31.5" LG ultrafine monitor for 4K video editing.

I then took my previous build (a very capable PC from 2013), and added two 8TB SSDs and a 1TB SSD for my wife, who uses LightRoom, but doesn't do video editing. It's a solid computer, and hasn't had any issues since I built it. I'd still be running that one if I didn't want to edit my drone footage.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI Bill View Post
I just built a powerhouse computer with an AMD Ryzen 5950X CPU, 21 TB of SSDs (solid state drives, with four comprising two RAIDs), an NVidea RTX 3090 video card, an 850-watt Seasonic power supply, and 128GB of RAM. I ended up doubling my original budget, mostly due to the unavailability of the CPU and GPU. I added a 4K 31.5" LG ultrafine monitor for 4K video editing.
I take it this is a work system? If not you lost me at the need for an 850 watt power supply, since my intent is to hold down my power costs as much as possible. And 21TBs for SSDs?? I think your needs dwarf the typical user by orders of magnitude, my friend.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote