how to carry cell phone

Many thanks for this info.

I have the "iPhone X Leather Case - Black", here's the equivalent one for the iPhone XS:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MVFQ2ZM/A/

I used to go caseless - I like'd the slimness and how easily it slide into my pocket. But given that the iPhone X and XS have glass on both the front and back, I decided to add the leather case to avoid cracking it. It only adds a little thickness and slides into my pocket easily.

Regarding the glass, is anyone else conscious of the irony that the more expensive models of phones are *celebrated* for their *elegance* that includes ***glass*** fronts and backs, but, then, we immediately have to buy plastic in which to encase them? I had the old Galaxy Note 3, which was panned for its "cheap" plastic backing. I now have, forsooth, the Galaxy Note 9, elegant in its glass-ness - and my FIRST purchase for it was a plastic encasement, lol!

They are called "Dad" pants. And for a reason. Don't be caught wearing 'Dad" pants.

Folks can call 'em whatever they like...I am still wearing them. Uncle Sugar told me how to dress for 22 years, so the only one I have to answer to these days is the DW and she has no problems with them. :D

I carry my iPhone X in front jeans pockets when I’m walking around, but have to take it out when I sit down. Most times I’m wearing cargo shorts or pants where the phone fits with no problem.

I don't carry one at all. It sits in my car and I have it blue toothed to cordless phones in the house. If I forget and park the car too far away, it just takes a message.

They are called "Dad" pants. And for a reason. Don't be caught wearing 'Dad" pants.

Well, I’m a grandpa, so doesn’t that mean they’ll make me look younger? :cool:

My phone is an Alcatel Pixie Glory that was about $100 on Tracfone. It fits in my pocket.
I get phone and text messages on it, plus internet connectivity. I cannot see paying $1000 for a phone.
We are Tracfone subscribers as it is a prepaid plan that you have total control over. It also has an optioon to use WiFi to save you phone charges.

I have no problem carrying the 5.4" x 2.7" Nexus 5 in my front pocket of my shorts or pants. No cargo pants.

I never use the back pocket for fear of it falling out or me sitting on it.

My cell phone (unless on vacation) is either on my desk 95% of time or in my car center storage armrest thing. I have trained everyone to call my spouse. The joke phrase is have your people call my people. Land line is on an answering machine and I answer if I know them or they first identify themselves or expect a call back.

I learned from the youth around me that you are only available when you want to be and if someone unknown is calling it is generally for their benefit.

Holster. But yet to find one that is not to bulky, or has over-sized flap. Problem, they are made to hold, various sizes. So end up being to big. Amazon, has hundreds for sale.

I have keys in front pocket, wallet in other pocket. Same issues as others have mentioned.

Good luck.

My iPhone 7+ fits in all my pants and shorts. Phone in right front, money/cards and keys in left front-- works perfectly for me.

(Dang, I need to ease up on the posting, I'm up to 1 a year average!)

Last edited:
Just don't let him do the goofy belt clip please. Unless you like the pocket protector look then go for the belt clip holder for your cell phone. Would make a nice duo.

Belt clip holder. In your pocket they get hot (bad for them) and can get sat on (also bad).

Your post got me thinking...where is my phone? Any calls/texts get forwarded to my email and that's usually how I see that someone is contacting me. I have noticed that these days, I usually leave the house WITHOUT my phone. I have to say, it's kinda nice not being attached to it.

OK...guess I will go see if I can find it. I *might* need it one of these days. :D

I like the way you think.

I didn't buy a cell phone until about 18 mos. ago when I realized while driving x-country that it sure would come in handy to call AAA if I broke down. Unlike 20 years ago when I could just hike, in any weather, to a house, gas station or whatever...Now, they would most likely find me decaying along a roadway or fertilizing a farmers field. :)

So, Tracphone it is. I never need to worry about how to carry it or leaving home without it. That's because it lives in the glove-box of my car. I only take it out about once every few months to check the charge and add a few minutes to keep the service current. NO ONE has the number and I have cautioned the few people that I have called with it to forget about trying to call me on the new number on their screen as I will NEVER answer, NEVER get the messages, let alone return calls when I might see them a month or so later.

If that makes me a curmudgeon, or a Cave Man, or a point of ridicule due to other's insecurities, so be it. Just because everyone one else is jumping off a bridge or doing opiates doesn't mean I have to. My Dad said so.

I HATE cell phones and the entirely negative impact (in so many areas) that they have brought upon people and society in general.

"Rant" switch is now placed to the "Guarded-OFF" position.

Thank You, and Good Luck.

Last edited:
OP here. I certainly understand those of you who aren't at all attached to your cell phones. DH & I have operated the same way all these years ... our 2007 phones remain off except when we traveled domestically, so we could be available to our petsitter at all times. Very few people had the number, and they were instructed not to leave messages since we rarely used the things. I will admit it gave us peace of mind to have them when driving, to call AAA or anyone else in emergency situations.

We travel internationally, 2-3 times a year. Last September, my husband's brother died while we were on a hiking trip in the Mont Blanc area. We learned this on Facebook, on our tablet. Trying to contact family, using a public phone with a phone card or even a hotel phone proved fruitless. We used to use phone cards in the past w/no issues, so we were unhappily surprised about this. Luckily one of our tour mates loaned us their phone so DH could talk to family members. Another thing that is leading us to this decision ... our camera has been dropped too many times and it's just not taking good photos these days. We figure it makes sense to get a great camera and decent phone all at once. Am considering iphone but also strongly considering Pixel 3 since it's getting great reviews for the camera ... and cheaper than the iphone.

Traveled the World for two weeks of every month for years...No cell phone. Here's the secret: SKYPE.

Works everywhere, totally free if your friends and relatives are using it, about 3 cents a minute if you want to call anyone else without the app/service.

No SIM card changes from country to country, no bills, highly reliable.

:)

Last edited:
No a big phone user here either, but I love the gps when I’m traveling (driving). Waze is the program I use but any program would be better than going back to those AAA trip tik’s. Plus, it’s a whole lot nicer to just plug in an address around town than to try to get physical directions. DW use to have co-pilot duties. I think it’s a lot better for our marriage to have the phone take over that responsibility. For me, it’s the best feature on a smartphone. Without it, I’d get a flip phone and be more than satisfied.

I HATE cell phones and the entirely negative impact (in so many areas) that they have brought upon people and society in general.

While some people seem addicted to their phones there are plenty of people who are not addicted and simply prefer the convenience and additional features.

I look at it this way...I can have a phone that can only be used in my house when I'm home and only for phone calls, or I can have a phone that can be used at any time I choose plus also be used for texts, emails, internet, etc.

It's like choosing a car that has no features at all, or choosing one that has AC, AWD, cruise control, navigation, backup camera, heated seats, heated steering wheel.

No a big phone user here either, but I love the gps when I’m traveling (driving). Waze is the program I use but any program would be better than going back to those AAA trip tik’s. Plus, it’s a whole lot nicer to just plug in an address around town than to try to get physical directions. DW use to have co-pilot duties. I think it’s a lot better for our marriage to have the phone take over that responsibility. For me, it’s the best feature on a smartphone. Without it, I’d get a flip phone and be more than satisfied.

+1

Even though I have a Garmin gps with lifetime maps, I don't use the Garmin anymore. Waze just works better than the Garmin. It was a game changer for me, motivating me to switch from a prepaid basic phone plan to a smartphone plan with unlimited data (after watching my wife use hers).

For me, the best place for the cellphone is in the center console turned off.

While some people seem addicted to their phones there are plenty of people who are not addicted and simply prefer the convenience and additional features.

I look at it this way...I can have a phone that can only be used in my house when I'm home and only for phone calls, or I can have a phone that can be used at any time I choose plus also be used for texts, emails, internet, etc.

It's like choosing a car that has no features at all, or choosing one that has AC, AWD, cruise control, navigation, backup camera, heated seats, heated steering wheel.

Unfortunately, MOST are addicted to their phones. I wish I knew more people that weren't.

I do have a phone (as previously mentioned) and use it as needed like the tool it should be used as. That would be in conjunction with all the options you mentioned above that are installed in my car.

I never go without. That just ain't right.

:)

Last edited:
I've started to use my phone's GPS on a normal commute just for the traffic info. It's better than news radio, which is for the whole metropolitan area and rarely covers my suburb-to-suburb commute.

I thought that when I retired, I was supposed to start using a fanny pack? Did I miss something at the orientation?

Back
Top Bottom