Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2022, 07:36 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On the theme of "digital" antennas, are any of them designed to receive Lo VHF or High VHF? Or possibly even high (between the old channels 70-83) UHF?. Some locations still broadcast ATSC in the VHF range. Perhaps this is where the "digital" term has become the marketing term for antennas optimized for receiving UHF channels 14-69?
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2022, 08:03 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Digital antennas are sold alongside hot water heaters.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:41 AM   #43

Most digital stations operate (or would like to) on UHF, which does call for a different antenna design that ones for the old, analog VHF signals that we all saw on roofs growing up.

If you need an outdoor antenna, receiving digital stations on VHF (low or high) it might be best done with a dedicated VHF antenna and then combining those signals with signals from a UHF antenna...it's how the engineer I follow online at our local FOX station does at his home.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Most digital stations operate (or would like to) on UHF, which does call for a different antenna design that ones for the old, analog VHF signals that we all saw on roofs growing up.

If you need an outdoor antenna, receiving digital stations on VHF (low or high) it might be best done with a dedicated VHF antenna and then combining those signals with signals from a UHF antenna...it's how the engineer I follow online at our local FOX station does at his home.
Not only do today's digital transmissions mostly operate in UHF frequency band, they use a smaller band than the original UHF did. Originally UHF ran from 473 to 887 MHZ (channel s 14-83). Today the UHF digital channels run from 473 to 803. (equivalent of Channel 14-69).

My 35 year old garage attic VHF/UHF combination antenna is still working just fine. I had cut off the "Low" VHF elements a couple of years ago, I have no need to add a VHF antenna although I had thought about it. I hooked up my 55 inch Insignia TV to the antenna just yesterday and the TV found >90 channels.

As an aside, early in my career I worked as a tech in manufacturing TV tuners. It would have been a lot easier to adjust them on the factory floor if the upper channels above 803MHZ had been eliminated at that time.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:56 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

The newer ATSC 3.0 standard is supposed to be better at piking up (and less multi-path interference) signals, a given distance from the transmitter. So, whenever my TV or TiVo breaks, I am definitely getting 3.0 equipment.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I thought this was a different topic.

When I say out loud "I have an idea" my wife usually responds with something along the lines of "God help us".
I was thinking the same thing. Every time I see “I have an idea” in the most recent post window, all I can think of is “Hold my beer.”