Join Early Retirement Today

I want my comfortable "wired" Bose earbuds...
Old 01-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I want my comfortable "wired" Bose earbuds...

You can't buy these from Bose anymore. They only have wireless.

I realize technology marches on, but I already have enough things that I have to recharge.

And anecdotally, battery life isn't as long as they say it is.

And the wireless ones cost a lot more.

Thank you for listening to my whine.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #2

Looks like still available through Amazon. I still have a pair for airplanes but don't use as much because QC35 are wire adaptable.

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundSpo...s%2C172&sr=8-3
6miths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:53 AM   #3

Especially in an era in which sustainability is routinely advocated. Batteries use metals that are irreplaceable, lose their rechargability after a few years, and pollute landfills. For such a device wired is much more eco-friendly.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #4

I have a similar problem. I have some nice wired earphones. They have a microphone and a volume control switch. I wanted these hardwired controls because I can have my phone in my shirt pocket and can do some basic control of the music without pulling out the phone. However, I wanted to upgrade my iPhone. People say that even though they removed the earphone jack you can use an adapter. The bummer is that the controls in the wired earphones will not work through the adapter. That really sucks. I’m hopeful, but not optimistic that maybe the new, low end iPhone they’re talking about might have a jack or at least have the functionality to use my wired earphones controls. Unfortunately, they’re just not focused on wired technology.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Another point is that Bluetooth continues to be inferior to wired in terms of sound quality.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Unfortunately, they’re just not focused on wired technology.
That does seem to be the way things are going. But I love my Airpods, which are wireless, and I can use all the controls I need with them, without needing to take the phone out of my pocket. For me, not having to deal with any wires is a big plus.

The new Airpods Pro have even more capability built into them, but my older models let me do whatever I want.

Connect and use your AirPods and AirPods Pro
Old 01-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #7

I'll stick with my headphones, I can't stand ear buds.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
Another point is that Bluetooth continues to be inferior to wired in terms of sound quality.

And there's also the security issues.
CDRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That does seem to be the way things are going. But I love my Airpods, which are wireless, and I can use all the controls I need with them, without needing to take the phone out of my pocket. For me, not having to deal with any wires is a big plus.

The new Airpods Pro have even more capability built into them, but my older models let me do whatever I want.

Connect and use your AirPods and AirPods Pro
I have the first gen of AirPods. I like them, but they’re not as good as my wired earphones. In looking at the attachment, the new version seems to be closer to what I have, where you touch the sensor to skip to the next track . . . However, it seems like even the newer generation requires you to talk to Siri in order to change the volume. I hate that. Imagine the guy next to you on the plane adjusting his volume. I don’t want to be that guy. Don’t get me wrong, I really like my AirPods, but when I’m on a plane or want to check out and mute the world for awhile, the earphones work much better. They’re not noise canceling, but they block outside noise very well. The wired controls are a bonus and one of the reasons I selected the model I did.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
However, it seems like even the newer generation requires you to talk to Siri in order to change the volume. I hate that. Imagine the guy next to you on the plane adjusting his volume. I don’t want to be that guy.
No question, that is certainly a drawback. Although you can adjust the volume on your Apple Watch if you're wearing one.

I have the second generation of AirPods, so a little more capability than yours, but I'm certainly lusting after the new version with noise canceling. Might be getting a pair next Christmas when Apple does their Black Friday sales.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I'll stick with my headphones, I can't stand ear buds.
Earbuds are ok, but I mostly stick with old QC2 headphones. This way I can ignore people who want to chat, without outwardly apearing rude, even when that is the intent.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Especially in an era in which sustainability is routinely advocated. Batteries use metals that are irreplaceable, lose their rechargability after a few years, and pollute landfills. For such a device wired is much more eco-friendly.
Umm.... aren't most of the wired headphones and ear buds powered by a battery, the one in the phone or player?

I hope you are safe and well; neither imprisoned by anxiety nor liberated by foolhardiness.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:06 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Umm.... aren't most of the wired headphones and ear buds powered by a battery, the one in the phone or player?
Bluetooth wireless phones use more power.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Probably, I seek to avoid lots of battery-powered stuff. It sounds like OP didn't want the increase in required batteries. Wired headphones can be used with a home computer or stereo powered by the local hamster or utility, no batteries needed.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

They are still available. I bought myself 2 pairs at the Bose site. They are on clearance for about $40. Load up! I am with you on wireless. I hate them!

https://www.bose.com/en_us/shop_all/...eadphones.html
molly312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #16

Looks like they are sold out online at Bose.
6miths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:50 AM   #17

Quote:
The bummer is that the controls in the wired earphones will not work through the adapter.

I don't know if this will be true for newer iPhones, and I don't know about other brands, but my Bose wired earbuds use an adapter to plug into iPhone 8. The remote controls work.

Maybe it's because they are produced to go with certain products. You have to choose between Apple or Android/Samsung when you're buying Bose wired earbuds.