I want my comfortable "wired" Bose earbuds...

spncity

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You can't buy these from Bose anymore. They only have wireless.

I realize technology marches on, but I already have enough things that I have to recharge.

And anecdotally, battery life isn't as long as they say it is.

And the wireless ones cost a lot more.

Thank you for listening to my whine. :duh:

Especially in an era in which sustainability is routinely advocated. Batteries use metals that are irreplaceable, lose their rechargability after a few years, and pollute landfills. For such a device wired is much more eco-friendly.

I have a similar problem. I have some nice wired earphones. They have a microphone and a volume control switch. I wanted these hardwired controls because I can have my phone in my shirt pocket and can do some basic control of the music without pulling out the phone. However, I wanted to upgrade my iPhone. People say that even though they removed the earphone jack you can use an adapter. The bummer is that the controls in the wired earphones will not work through the adapter. That really sucks. I’m hopeful, but not optimistic that maybe the new, low end iPhone they’re talking about might have a jack or at least have the functionality to use my wired earphones controls. Unfortunately, they’re just not focused on wired technology.

Another point is that Bluetooth continues to be inferior to wired in terms of sound quality.

Unfortunately, they’re just not focused on wired technology.

That does seem to be the way things are going. But I love my Airpods, which are wireless, and I can use all the controls I need with them, without needing to take the phone out of my pocket. For me, not having to deal with any wires is a big plus.

The new Airpods Pro have even more capability built into them, but my older models let me do whatever I want.

Connect and use your AirPods and AirPods Pro

That does seem to be the way things are going. But I love my Airpods, which are wireless, and I can use all the controls I need with them, without needing to take the phone out of my pocket. For me, not having to deal with any wires is a big plus.

The new Airpods Pro have even more capability built into them, but my older models let me do whatever I want.

Connect and use your AirPods and AirPods Pro

I have the first gen of AirPods. I like them, but they’re not as good as my wired earphones. In looking at the attachment, the new version seems to be closer to what I have, where you touch the sensor to skip to the next track . . . However, it seems like even the newer generation requires you to talk to Siri in order to change the volume. I hate that. Imagine the guy next to you on the plane adjusting his volume. I don’t want to be that guy. Don’t get me wrong, I really like my AirPods, but when I’m on a plane or want to check out and mute the world for awhile, the earphones work much better. They’re not noise canceling, but they block outside noise very well. The wired controls are a bonus and one of the reasons I selected the model I did.

However, it seems like even the newer generation requires you to talk to Siri in order to change the volume. I hate that. Imagine the guy next to you on the plane adjusting his volume. I don’t want to be that guy.

No question, that is certainly a drawback. Although you can adjust the volume on your Apple Watch if you're wearing one.

I have the second generation of AirPods, so a little more capability than yours, but I'm certainly lusting after the new version with noise canceling. Might be getting a pair next Christmas when Apple does their Black Friday sales.

I'll stick with my headphones, I can't stand ear buds.

Earbuds are ok, but I mostly stick with old QC2 headphones. This way I can ignore people who want to chat, without outwardly apearing rude, even when that is the intent.

Especially in an era in which sustainability is routinely advocated. Batteries use metals that are irreplaceable, lose their rechargability after a few years, and pollute landfills. For such a device wired is much more eco-friendly.

Umm.... aren't most of the wired headphones and ear buds powered by a battery, the one in the phone or player?

Umm.... aren't most of the wired headphones and ear buds powered by a battery, the one in the phone or player?

Probably, I seek to avoid lots of battery-powered stuff. It sounds like OP didn't want the increase in required batteries. Wired headphones can be used with a home computer or stereo powered by the local hamster or utility, no batteries needed.

Last edited:
The bummer is that the controls in the wired earphones will not work through the adapter.

I don't know if this will be true for newer iPhones, and I don't know about other brands, but my Bose wired earbuds use an adapter to plug into iPhone 8. The remote controls work.

Maybe it's because they are produced to go with certain products. You have to choose between Apple or Android/Samsung when you're buying Bose wired earbuds.

Back
Top Bottom