Join Early Retirement Today

I Went to the Library Yesterday!
Old 11-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I Went to the Library Yesterday!

For the first time since the pandemic lockdown, I went to my town's library last night. Title of this thread has that intentional exclamation point. I was genuinely thrilled to go inside, and look for....books. I have an e-Reader, and obviously it serves its purpose but for me my Nook is just not a "real" book.
The book I went to get was not available in electronic format through my Library system's eCatalog. I had been so ingrained, since early 2020, to just search for ebooks that it took me a second before I did the online check for the "normal" version.
Going into the library gave me a Pavlovian response. Pre-lockdown I often went to my library twice a week. They now have some COVID protections in place, such as plastic dividers by sitting areas and for the librarians, but otherwise it was just like the good ol' days. I forgot how much I missed going there.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Outside of a dog, a book is a manís best friend. Inside of a dog, itís too dark to read. - G. Marx
JeffyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went to two local libraries Monday in search of reference books to use for a paper I'm writing for a class- Encyclopedias, etc. Both libraries, part of separate systems, had nothing (other than one having a dictionary). Wow. It's all on-line. OTOH, what I found on-line was a treasure trove- access to articles from all sorts of refereed journals and a wonderful book 600-page on hymns and hymn writers published in London in 1869. (My paper is on the history of hymns.)

I bought a Nook in January of 2020, which turned out to be great timing, so I've mostly been downloading library books. When I visit the grandchildren, though, I have a great time looking through the physical shelves to find books they'll like. They also use the Nook; I always end up with a dozen downloaded Disney Princess books I have to return!
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #4

I love wandering in our library!

Give a Man a fish, he will eat for a day.
Teach a Man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.
pacergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I use to love going to the library. In the evenings on winter nights, I would spend hours enjoying the library. I haven't done that in many years now.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Libraries are just great. Young or old. Black or white. Rich or poor, everyone can take avantage of the wealth of knowledge and entertainment available. Of all the things my taxes go to support, libraries are the things I agree with the most.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I use to love going to the library. In the evenings on winter nights, I would spend hours enjoying the library. I haven't done that in many years now.
OP here. Me, too, but I guess I still love going. Your "winter nights" comment struck a nice chord with me. In my working years, getting home after dark, not much to do (I watch little TV) I would especially enjoy going to the library after dinner.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:37 PM   #8

DW was given a Nook, but she could only buy books from B & N, which were more expensive. It died, and she has a really nice 10 inch Kindle Fire.
After she got her reader, I realized that they had internet connectivity, anbd that sold me. I subscribe to 4 sites of bargain books. Also on a flight some years ago, the nice guy sitting next to us downloaded Calibre to my Kindle. It is a program to change the format of any e-book .
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree View Post
Libraries are just great. Young or old. Black or white. Rich or poor, everyone can take avantage of the wealth of knowledge and entertainment available. Of all the things my taxes go to support, libraries are the things I agree with the most.
Very well put. About 7% of my property tax goes to support the library and it's one of my favorite causes. I often donate books to them as well.

When I was a kid, the library was just a quarter of a mile from home, and I would head there to spend a couple of hours as often as possible. It was an escape from an occasionally toxic home environment, and helped me to develop great study habits. In fact, once in a while a librarian would ask me to give another kid a lesson in using the card catalog!
Old 11-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #10

I still love the library but don’t go often anymore due to the marvelous Libby app that lets me borrow a world of library books with one click on my iPad. AND a very robust Little Free Library community that I frequent on daily walks. Between the two I am always well stocked with books.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
OP here. Me, too, but I guess I still love going. Your "winter nights" comment struck a nice chord with me. In my working years, getting home after dark, not much to do (I watch little TV) I would especially enjoy going to the library after dinner.
Yep, that was me totally. I was in a new community and all I could afford was a spot on the floor to live and sleep, so the library was a nice place for me to go for a lot of reasons.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I love the library. I go there to warm my fingers and use the bathroom.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:10 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love libraries for the monthly magazines and friendly clerks.

For some reason my stress from work is halved Everytime I stop by our local libraries, even if I just want to check out some digital media like movies.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #14

I regularly read library books, some actual books but most are downloaded. I have the app on my 65" TV and read a lot of books that way. GF thinks I'm crazy but I'm in my recliner and very comfortable.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

There’s no way I’d buy any hard copy book anymore, but I still prefer them to eBooks, so I’ve been checking out books from our local library almost throughout Covid. The library was only closed for a month or so, though entering and browsing wasn’t permitted again until a few months ago. Everything was online hold/curbside pickup for a while. Then patrons could enter to pickup on hold books, but only one person at a time. Now the library is open, masks still required/enforced. I’ve been able to find and put books on hold throughout so I haven’t needed to physically browse yet, maybe some day.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I prefer real books, and OP has reminded me we need to go to the library like we used to do a lot.

I have a Fire tablet and have downloaded library apps to it, and have used it to borrow books for when on a cruise ship. Lighter and smaller than carrying a couple of actual books, plus can bring a bunch so I have a choice.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I used to work as the janitor at the local library when I was in high school. I would clean the place and then spend a couple of hours alone there looking through books. I later spent a lot of college time in the library and work days in the library. There was dynamite blasting on the street where our office was, so I took my work to the library for a month or so.

I'd like to get back to the library at some point. But I can probably find as much of the info I'm looking for from my home computer.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Yes, it's a pleasure to turn some real pages.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #19

There's also a great used book store a block from the library so I often go to both places in one trip. The used book store offers a 50% return for most books (return it and get 50% of the purchase price back) but I usually just pass it along to someone else to read.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
The used book store offers a 50% return for most books (return it and get 50% of the purchase price back) but I usually just pass it along to someone else to read.
That's a really nice policy.

I have a relative who owns a used bookstore. People are constantly dumping piles of books at his door (when it's closed) just to get rid of them. He says hardly any of them are worth bothering with, so he gives most of them to Goodwill.