Image Management Software

Aha. I found the one I used last time. GalleryProject. Buuut looks like the developrs stopped working on it

If you are absolutely grinding your gears I have an old version of gallery deployed on my webserver. I could probably get your images up there and figure it out somehow. PM me

Google Photos? First sync to drive and then. Add to google photos?
There are many cloud based things, but the reason I said "No-cloud, LAN-only" is because I have a problem with putting something in the cloud that I'm perfectly capable of hosting myself, and that I'd need to agree to some terms and conditions that I'm not even patient enough to read and understand.

Have you looked at Plex? You can install a Plex server, point it at your photo collection, and view them from wherever using Plex clients on PCs, tablets, phones, game boxes,... I don't know if the free version would meet your needs.

DW uses Windows Media Center a lot and we enjoy watching the screen saver show random photos from our collection.

I started entering photos in Photoshop Elements 10 several years ago. Currently at just over 42,000 images with lots more work to do.

You can identify images by person name, place, date, time, etc, etc. You can group images by location, event, etc. More features than I've used but it's nice to be able to track family history visually - "This is your great-grandmother and this was her house" as well as by name and place name (more than 10,000 people in our combined family histories).

Not sure what version Elements is up to now. There are other similar tools (I looked at a dozen or more) but Elements 10 was the best tradeoff in price versus the features I needed - including not dying when presented with a drive containing 100,000+ images, a 2TB drive with images collected from multiple cameras and scanners and extracted from 5 or 6 computers (some products couldn't handle that many images).

It need not be the latest and greatest version of whatever software you choose - last year's version has 99% of the current version's features and is appreciably cheaper on Ebay (yes, I'm cheap; that's how you survive the market hits of 2008 and the like ;-)

AFIK most women use creams, eye shadow, mascara, lipstic etc. for Image Management, some guys use razors, others beards and top knots.:)

If you are absolutely grinding your gears I have an old version of gallery deployed on my webserver. I could probably get your images up there and figure it out somehow. PM me
I used Gallery for years to display albums of my photos on my basement webserver. I gave up about ten years ago and moved the site to a commercial host and eventually abandoned it. I liked Gallery but it sounds like I would have had to give it up in any event.

I'd like to install something locally, point it at my local photo archive and have it "just work" (without having some invasive cloud thing, or paying a monthly fee, or free now with risk of having photos held hostage). I wouldn't mind paying, as long as it's buy once and use forever model. Thanks for the ideas so far. I'll be checking them out soon.

seng, please define "just work".

I've used IrfanView's slideshow feature for showing 1000's of pictures in an auditorium. Has a lot of options.

On old XP with our photos, I use the last version of Picasa. It makes a database of the images, and has been good enough for me over the last decade or more. Since it works by virtue of the database, it is pretty damn fast opening up on old XP.

When you mentioned naming your folders by date, that is a large part of the problem solved, BTW. I don't go very far with keywords, as my own organization by date and Picasa face recognition gets me to whatever photo I need. I only use Picasa a dozen times a year or less, but its all I need. Best feature is that it doesn't update.
:D

I also think Plex or something else you might install on Roku, etc. would do the trick for viewing.

Back
Top Bottom