Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2023, 08:16 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Moral of the story - quit hitting deer?

It’s impressive that you hit a deer at 70 mph and still were able to drive.

I know, it’s tough in TX too. You really got to watch it out at dusk.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2023, 12:55 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've had our M3 for a couple weeks now, so I can give you some n00b impressions.

The ordering process was brilliant compared to a dealership, but Tesla nickels-and-dimes you these days: no floor mats, no charge cord, no free supercharger (SC rates are much higher than home charging), and they will low-ball you if you're considering a trade-in.

Build quality was flawless. No complaints, but I hate the door handles at night.

1-pedal driving takes a minute to get used to, but then it's hard to go back to an old-school ICE.

The display is a bit distracting, but you get used to it, and I love the geeky joke features like the light show and boom box. It took a few minutes to figure out how to open the glovebox. And the windshield wipers (oh, and auto-wipe mode doesn't work that well).

Cold weather has a huge negative impact on range, but you probably knew that.

Range anxiety is real. The charge port in the rear will force you to become an expert at backing up to just about every charger. And the lack of parking sensors and 360 camera really seems dumb in a high-tech expensive car like this.

The car is a lot of fun. Driving is fun. Dog mode is fun. Even the app is fun. Hard not to love the car, and the CEO is endlessly entertaining too.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:55 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

On the Tesla earnings call yesterday Elon said that the collision avoidance system makes use of FSD capabilities even if you did not buy FSD.

He also said that the demand spike is twice the production capacity. I hope I get assigned a vehicle in time.
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:58 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, article at CNBC
Quote:
The price cuts seem to have sparked demand, however. Speaking on a call with shareholders and analysts on Wednesday, CEO Elon Musk said, “Thus far in January we’ve seen the strongest orders year-to-date than ever in our history. We’re currently seeing orders of almost twice the rate of production.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/25/tesl...s-q4-2022.html
Old 01-26-2023, 09:17 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

We love our 2022 MY
We took ownership of our Model Y Long range last February.
It was built in Fremont, CA in January 2022.
There were no build issues, which we had read about.
DH is a car-guy and he went over all the door, trunk, lights with dealer
We ve now driven it about 9,000 miles so far.
We drive in the Phila area and have no problem finding chargers
We also had a Tesla Charger installed in garage
I LOVE it ! The ride is smooth and no maintenance problems so far.
Suggestion: Read the book Power Play by Tim Higgins - It provides interesting background on Tesla engineers, Elon, production processes.

Let us know your experience
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:30 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Moral of the story - quit hitting deer?

It’s impressive that you hit a deer at 70 mph and still were able to drive.

I know, it’s tough in TX too. You really got to watch it out at dusk.
We had a deer literally do a kamikaze into the side of our van and we were only going about 40mph. Deer are incredibly dumb.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:47 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
We had a deer literally do a kamikaze into the side of our van and we were only going about 40mph. Deer are incredibly dumb.
Yeah, it’s pretty crazy unpredictable.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:58 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Behold the deer, the deadliest beast in North America

Quote:
Deer are responsible for the deaths of about 440 of the estimated 458 Americans killed in physical confrontations with wildlife in an average year, according to Utah State University biologist Mike Conover, employing some educated guesswork in the latest edition of “Human-Wildlife Interactions.”

Those deer-inflicted fatalities are not, so far as we know, caused by deer-on-human predation. They’re the unfortunate result of more than 2 million people a year plowing into deer with their sedans and SUVs...
Old 01-26-2023, 10:32 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Not a Tesla owner myself, but I did run across this article a day or two ago: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/no-wa...140000238.html

I did drive a Model 3 owned by a friend who is over the top enthusiastic about the car. The "gas pedal"/regenerative braking thing was interesting, but that single center display killed any interest I might have had in the car. I want basic information like speed right there in front of me and accessible without moving my head and taking my eyes seriously off the road.

An airplane-style yoke would kill my interest too, but I guess those are less common -- maybe an option. His did not have one.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:40 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Not a Tesla owner myself, but I did run across this article a day or two ago: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/no-wa...140000238.html

I did drive a Model 3 owned by a friend who is over the top enthusiastic about the car. The "gas pedal"/regenerative braking thing was interesting, but that single center display killed any interest I might have had in the car. I want basic information like speed right there in front of me and accessible without moving my head and taking my eyes seriously off the road.

An airplane-style yoke would kill my interest too, but I guess those are less common -- maybe an option. His did not have one.
Well you don’t have to worry about the yoke. It’s only offered on the Models S and X and now when ordering you can choose traditional steering wheel or yoke. All other models come with steering wheel only. Also, only S and X models have the driver’s side “instrument panel” type display.

But I love my yoke!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D22D2462-E3F5-4EE5-8C8B-2D3CA09B62C6.jpeg (328.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-26-2023, 12:46 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Test drove one this morning, DW drove too - ordered on the spot. Now I just have to figure out whether to sell my car outright or trade-in at Tesla. Driving it was an amazing experience, I could go into detail but to summarize it was just one pleasant surprise after another driving the car. On the way home DW said, this car (my '22 Hyundai Santa Fe) feels noisy and cheap now...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 40% bonds / 10% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:58 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

We traded in separately. I got tired of having to update the odometer reading every month which also changes the offer, and CarMax offered us a slightly better quote anyway. The ancient Jeep wasn’t worth much. So after carefully going over the car at delivery and accepting it, we dropped the Jeep off at CarMax on the way home.

The delivery process is a bit cleaner if you don’t have to deal with a trade in. On the other hand in some states there can be considerable sales tax savings on a trade-in, especially if you have a recent model.

People got in trouble too selling their car first in anticipation of a delivery which got delayed. Probably not as bad now. When did they estimate delivery?

Glad you both enjoyed your test drives. That’s awesome!

I’m sure I’m not the only one who will enjoy hearing more details of your experience.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:06 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We traded in separately. I got tired of having to update the odometer reading every month which also changes the offer, and CarMax offered us a slightly better quote anyway. The ancient Jeep wasn’t worth much. So after carefully going over the car at delivery and accepting it, we dropped the Jeep off at CarMax on the way home.

The delivery process is a bit cleaner if you don’t have to deal with a trade in. On the other hand in some states there can be considerable sales tax savings on a trade-in, especially if you have a recent model.

People got in trouble too selling their car first in anticipation of a delivery which got delayed. Probably not as bad now. When did they estimate delivery?

Glad you both enjoyed your test drives. That’s awesome!

I’m sure I’m not the only one who will enjoys hearing more details of your experience.
They estimate delivery Feb-Mar, but the guys said deliveries have been coming in sooner than projected lately. OTOH I assume their backlog is growing with the price reduction/potential tax credit so deliveries my extend. The base price went up $500 in the last day or two.

I got an online trade in quote that was WAY higher than Tesla, more than offset the added sales tax, so I am sure I'll end up going that route. I wonder how much advance notice I will get on the actual delivery date when the time comes?

I've already made some contacts to add a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage.

BTW there was a red Model X on the showroom floor, absolutely gorgeous. A deeper red than I'd remembered.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 40% bonds / 10% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:13 PM   #54

Just a passing thought that is not Tesla specific - but EV related. A family in our neighborhood had their EV plugged into a power bank (not Tesla Wall). A fire started and burned most of their house as well as their car. The wall bank was not the recommended one by the car manufacturer so the car company said "not our problem". The battery bank people, even though they had stated it was compatible for car charging that car, said the car must have been out of spec - and said "not our problem". The family had different homeowners coverage than auto insurance coverage - and the two companies are still blaming the other one and the family has only had partial pay out for their significant losses. The company's are suing each other. The family had to dip into savings to rebuild their home after more than a year of bickering.

So - if you have EV charging in your garage, it's probably best to have the same auto/home insurance provider so it doesn't matter if it was caused by the car, the charger (which is attached to the house) or whatever...

Like I said, not Tesla specific.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:18 PM   #55

My results were the opposite of most of you.

Tesla offered me $1,750 more than a car dealership and Carvana offered.

Perhaps because I sold a Model 3?

I also got cheaper car insurance through them than from Farmers, my previous insurer.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:23 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
They estimate delivery Feb-Mar, but the guys said deliveries have been coming in sooner than projected lately. OTOH I assume their backlog is growing with the price reduction/potential tax credit so deliveries my extend. The base price went up $500 in the last day or two.

I got an online trade in quote that was WAY higher than Tesla, more than offset the added sales tax, so I am sure I'll end up going that route. I wonder how much advance notice I will get on the actual delivery date when the time comes?

BTW there was a red Model X on the showroom floor, absolutely gorgeous. A deeper red than I'd remembered.
You start getting notice a few of weeks ahead. You may get a 2 to 3 week date range which gradually narrows, then you’ll be assigned a VIN which means your car is being built right then, and finally given a more firm delivery date. This last bit can happen fast. Once the VIN is assigned you can get your ducks in a row including insurance. The service center will call you or text you to arrange your delivery appointment and work with you to complete any pre-delivery tasks. A lot of this is done via their phone app. You need to go ahead and get the app if you haven’t already because this is the best way to watch your delivery date, plus you need it at delivery too. So will your DW.

Lots of threads regarding Model Y delivery, waiting rooms, etc. Maybe you’ll find something useful here: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/foru...-delivery.305/

Yep, the new red is deeper, particularly in the shade. . We love it. I think the midnight silver metallic (MSM) is also gorgeous.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:25 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Need legislation to outlaw deer. Can't have them cause such carnage.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:29 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Just a passing thought that is not Tesla specific - but EV related. A family in our neighborhood had their EV plugged into a power bank (not Tesla Wall). A fire started and burned most of their house as well as their car. The wall bank was not the recommended one by the car manufacturer so the car company said "not our problem". The battery bank people, even though they had stated it was compatible for car charging that car, said the car must have been out of spec - and said "not our problem". The family had different homeowners coverage than auto insurance coverage - and the two companies are still blaming the other one and the family has only had partial pay out for their significant losses. The company's are suing each other. The family had to dip into savings to rebuild their home after more than a year of bickering.

So - if you have EV charging in your garage, it's probably best to have the same auto/home insurance provider so it doesn't matter if it was caused by the car, the charger (which is attached to the house) or whatever...

Like I said, not Tesla specific.
I have separate insurance and I’m not worried about your particular scenario. If such rare sh!t happens to us, so be it.

FWIW the Tesla connects to our RV port through the Tesla Mobile Connector which is designed specifically for such a NEMA 14-50 connection and has smarts in-line with the power connection to the car.

We do also have the Tesla wall connector which we will eventually have installed. Right now the 32A 14-50 charges plenty fast.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:29 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
In case it wasn't obvious, they have two chargers: a wall charger and a mobile charger. The mobile charger can plug into a 14-50, but it maxes out at 32A.

The wall charger is hard-wired and maxes out at 48A. So, if you want fast level-2 charging, the wall charger and a 60A breaker are the way to go.

That said, a standard 120V outlet and the mobile charger are fine for casual overnight charging. 32A and the 14-50 will be between those 2 options and plenty fast.

Old 01-26-2023, 02:15 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

FWIW our Model X charges at 26mph via our RV 14-50 connection at 32A. That’s actually fast enough for us. The Model Y will charge even faster.

The wall connector supplies more current, but we don’t really need faster charging. It’s really more about having a self-contained unit since we park outside in covered parking and a more convenient location to plug in.