Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2018, 11:16 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I really didn't realize how crummy it is to have no internet for a period of time, until it happened to me. What to do? I couldn't even play games on my wi-fi iPad because most of the games demand an internet connection. I didn't have internet on my phone (which I hardly ever use), either, until I figured out that the problems was my settings. Frank's internet was out too, and he loves streaming movies but couldn't do that either.
I so would have been panicking in your situation. Seriously!
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 05:25 AM   #22

There is an upside and downside to practically everything. You have to deal with the bad to get the good.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
So, in the past week I have experienced:
1. A text from a gentleman willing to share $2.5mil with him if I respond to him.
2. A fake PayPal email stating my account may have been compromised and to click on a link to resolve the problem. A query with PayPal confirmed there was no compromise. I changed my password just to be safe.
3. An email from "Apple-ID-Team" stating in poor English that my account had a request to "process on Jan Tue 2018," with an email recovery address of "siegfried1930@gmail.com" from Kyoto, Japan. I changed my password on this phish just to be on the safe side.
4. Every few weeks I get a legitimate email and text from my good friends at Equifax (the folks that lost all our data) mysecureID folks stating:
"Dear client,
As part of your enrollment in TrustedID Premier, we monitor your credit report each day for certain key changes, including an account balance change, a new inquiry, new accounts, or address changes.
We've noticed a change on your credit report, and we encourage you to log in to your account to view details at www.trustedid.com.
Each time I get one of these notices, I log in and find nothing amiss, credit report has nothing new or unusual. I spoke to one of their reps on the help line and she provided a cryptic explanation that I should release my credit freeze so they could investigate the issue. The person had a heavy accent so I could not get a clear explanation of why they needed me to release my credit freeze. So now, every few weeks I log in to confirm there is no problem.

All of this crap makes me want to exit the internet world and do things the old fashioned way, which I realize is no longer even possible.
This seems to be getting worse with no real solutions coming from our government or financial institutions. What steps are you all taking to protect your electronically vulnerable stuff?
First, you should always *ignore* emails like that. Frankly, you shouldn't even be *seeing* them. 99% of the spam I receive goes straight to the junk folder automatically. Those emails are completely false/fake. You should never take any action based on them.

Second, if you're worried in general, use a password manager. 1Password or Last Pass or others remember and enter the User ID and password for you.

Third, Equifax wants to sell you extra services. Unless they state that a new account has been opened in your name, one that you are unaware of, just delete those emails.

Fourth, other than using common sense, my only protection is the built-in Windows Defender anti-virus software and a password manager (1Password). I've been on the internet since the late 80's.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:41 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got hit with a lot of spam in late July of 2016 because my email address had somehow gotten out there on the DarkWeb. It took me a while to figure it out, but I finally managed to filter it out by adjusting some of the settings in my email. I use a PC-based and internet-based email system but the settings can be done only on the internet side. By using an Exclusive setting on the spam filter, I have any email whose sender's address is not in the Contacts list go to Junk Mail. Then, I allow only the non-Junk mail to get downloaded to my PC email.

This level of filtering sometimes prevents legit emails from getting through to my PC because my contacts list on the internet side doesn't have all the addresses my PC has. This problem has been fading over time, though. Another related problem is my getting a legit email from a new source and it doesn't get through and I forget to check my Junk Mail folder on the internet side to see if it is there. Stuff stays there for a week although I can adjust that setting if I need to. I can block the domain name of senders of Junk Mail although the spammers change the domain names all the time. I wish I could specify wild cards in the domain names but my email provider (Juno) ignores my requests to do that.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
First, you should always *ignore* emails like that. Frankly, you shouldn't even be *seeing* them. 99% of the spam I receive goes straight to the junk folder automatically. Those emails are completely false/fake. You should never take any action based on them.
Gmail has an excellent spam filter. It also enables users to report spam so the filter can adapt. It's gotten to the point where I get only a few spam emails per day using Gmail's browser interface.
Mr._Graybeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #26

Quote:
...I log in and find nothing amiss, credit report has nothing new or unusual...
I get the same thing from another "free" service I was signed up for after the DOD security breach. If ANYthing they track changes, you get an e-mail enticing you to log on. They won't tell you that it's only because a registered sex offender has moved in to the opposite side of town, or your credit score went up one point. They're like Facebook - they want you to continually log on so they can collect more data about you and spam you even more.

If something is free, YOU are the product!

Quote:
...What steps are you all taking to protect your electronically vulnerable stuff?
Nothing really out of the norm. Good passwords. No cookies saved between sessions. Open e-mail in "text only" mode. Never click e-mail links, but go directly to known sites. Ignore BS scam artists.

Certainly no need to change a password just because someone sent you a phishing scam e-mail. The fact that they sent it proves they don't have any other way to get into your account.

Quote:
Yes, I am beginning to realize that Facebook is not friendly website. They siphon off all your information and sell it.
Beginning? I just can't bring myself to publicize my entire life so these sleaze balls can sell more advertising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Me either. I refused to perpetuate the chain letters, and I refuse now to respond to anybody trying to force me to participate on FB.
And I thought *I* was the only one left in the world who didn't join.

PS, I'm no Luddite. 37 years in IT. I know how these things work!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CaptTom, I have no interest in Facebook, either. Remember what Betty White said about it in her hilarious monologue at the start of her 2010 Saturday Night Live appearance?

"...I didn’t know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is I have to say it sounds like a huge waste of time."

https://www.ocregister.com/2010/05/0...waste-of-time/
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote