Join Early Retirement Today

iPhone blocking message images from non-iPhones
Old 05-27-2021, 06:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

iPhone blocking message images from non-iPhones

Our friend has a relatively new iPhone that for some reason started blocking images within messages sent from non-iPhone (Android) users. Text-only messages are fine, as is the text within a message that also contains an image.

What type of setting/app would be controlling this?
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2021, 06:47 AM   #2

They need to go into Settings/Messages and turn on MMS Messaging.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:51 AM   #3

"Blocking" implies intent. Do you have information indicating it's purposeful or could it just be incompatibility? My big family does lots of texting and for a decade, there's always been someone calling out problems between different phone types, glitchy behavior, etc. This is what you get when they all want to have a feature someone else doesn't have.

Everyone should use Signal anyway, then they won't be spied upon.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
They need to go into Settings/Messages and turn on MMS Messaging.
They are not seeing this setting or the Group Messaging setting that is usually in this menu. It's a new iPhone, so maybe the latest OS placed this option somewhere else or eliminated it completely?
Old 05-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
They are not seeing this setting or the Group Messaging setting that is usually in this menu. It's a new iPhone, so maybe the latest OS placed this option somewhere else or eliminated it completely?
In the current iOS (14.6):

Go into Settings.
Scroll down to the Messages app and tap it.
Scroll down to the SMS/MMS section and toggle on "MMS Messaging"
Old 05-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
In the current iOS (14.6):

Go into Settings.
Scroll down to the Messages app and tap it.
Scroll down to the SMS/MMS section and toggle on "MMS Messaging"
As I indicated, this option is not there on their iPhone. The owner is quite adapt at finding these types of settings, and it doesn't appear to be buried anywhere in an active menu.

They are on Google Fi, and reading further, it appears from the past couple of years they are not alone in having this issue with receiving MMS messages from Android users.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
They are on Google Fi,
That might be a clue. Google chat settings have been implicated sometimes.

Take a look at this:
https://piunikaweb.com/2021/01/25/ap...ons-solutions/
Old 05-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
That might be a clue. Google chat settings have been implicated sometimes.

Take a look at this:
https://piunikaweb.com/2021/01/25/ap...ons-solutions/
That one appears to deal with text messaging (SMS). They are able to receive text messages from Android users, which includes my DW and I. It's just the images sent via MMS that aren't getting through.

One suggestion includes performing a Reset All Settings (Settings -> General -> Reset) and reboot. Far be it for me to suggest to anyone to wipe out their phone's customization. They may have no choice and see if this works.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #9

I have no other suggestions, other than to contact Apple support. Be sure they are using the most current iOS.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
As I indicated, this option is not there on their iPhone. The owner is quite adapt at finding these types of settings, and it doesn't appear to be buried anywhere in an active menu.

They are on Google Fi, and reading further, it appears from the past couple of years they are not alone in having this issue with receiving MMS messages from Android users.
There are some cellular network settings they need to update to allow MMS when using an iPhone on Google Fi: https://support.google.com/fi/answer...OS&hl=en&oco=1

These settings are updated automatically on Android phones when you install Fi, but the iPhone requires manual intervention and a restart. They should have seen instructions to do this when they installed the Fi app, but if they skipped this step or if they did it wrong, then that could explain the problem. Have them double check.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
There are some cellular network settings they need to update to allow MMS when using an iPhone on Google Fi: https://support.google.com/fi/answer...OS&hl=en&oco=1

These settings are updated automatically on Android phones when you install Fi, but the iPhone requires manual intervention and a restart. They should have seen instructions to do this when they installed the Fi app, but if they skipped this step or if they did it wrong, then that could explain the problem. Have them double check.
I've passed along the instructions. I will let you know what happens.

FYI, Firefox is barking about the above link (had to go to my backup browser, Vivaldi, to see it). Searching through Google Support on Firefox to find this page, I ended up with a slightly different link:

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...rm%3DiOS&oco=0

Not sure why the one I have is fine with Firefox but yours isn't. Just in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread in the future.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:10 PM   #12

That did the trick. Most of the fields listed in the Google Fi help page were blank. As you indicated, setup must not have been done completely. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #13

Quote:
That did the trick. Most of the fields listed in the Google Fi help page were blank. As you indicated, setup must not have been done completely. Thanks!
Great! Happy to help. (That's weird about Firefox not liking the link I posted. It's o.k. in Chrome for me.)
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote