Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is there a browser that allows stopping auto-play of videos?
Old 03-07-2021, 07:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is there a browser that allows stopping auto-play of videos?

I have been using the Chrome browser for quite some time because it has suited my needs regarding speed, memory usage, etc.
As I prefer reading over watching videos, I seldom want to watch the ever more ubiquitous video clips that auto-play on many websites. Chrome used to provide a preferences setting to “stop auto play”, but apparently, that has changed and they ditched that option.
Are there any browsers that still allow blocking auto play (we are mostly a Mac OS household)? I know I can just click the video stream to stop it or simply reduce the volume to zero, but I find that tedious and would like to have a better option. Suggestions?
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 07:36 AM   #2

Safari allows this (Safari>Preferences>Websites>Auto-Play). If you're using Mac OS then I presume you haven't been using Safari in favor of Chrome?
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:38 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

There's an extension called "Video Autoplay Blocker" for MS Edge (and I believe for Chrome as well)
Old 03-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #4

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/dis...google-chrome/
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/block-autoplay
Old 03-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Thanks for this - I followed the links but for some reason, was not offered the same "choices" by the Chrome preferences as those described in the instructions. So, sadly, it was a dead end for me. I even updated my Chrome browser to the latest version - no go.

Well, I'm going to switch to Safari. It's a bit of a pain to get everything set up again but more of a temporary problem than the annoying autoplay videos
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
This article from 2019 doesn't seem to work any more for PC. No autoplay anything under flags, google tells me it was removed two years ago.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Microsoft Edge (my browser), and several other browsers have a feature called "Reader View". If you look at a page in Reader View, videos don't auto-play and you don't get popups and so on. Maybe that would help?
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Safari allows this (Safari>Preferences>Websites>Auto-Play). If you're using Mac OS then I presume you haven't been using Safari in favor of Chrome?
Thanks for this.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Thanks for this.
Don’t see this on my iPad. Is this just on Macs or should I look for something else on the iPad?
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Don’t see this on my iPad. Is this just on Macs or should I look for something else on the iPad?
I don't have an iPad, so I couldn't tell you.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:01 PM   #12

After some Googling I was a bit surprised that it appears this isn't a built-in option in iPadOS. I guess I'm so used to switching to reader mode when web sites become annoying that I never noticed.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:26 AM   #13

There is a bit of an arms race going on here. Browser developers are always implementing new "features" which give their customers - ad-supported web sites - more ways to try to grab your attention. They do offer settings to disable some older features, but the latest way to blast something at you is rarely blockable via settings.

This creates a market for add-ons and extensions which block the newer methods. For example, in Chrome I've had good luck with an extension called "Disable HTML5 Autoplay." In conjunction with Ghostery and uBlock Origin it keeps most of the crap at bay. But I've noticed more and more getting through lately. No doubt there will be another extension at some point which blocks whatever new "feature" these are using.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

You might try the Brave browser. It’s Chrome based but designed for more privacy.

https://brave.com/
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:16 AM   #15

Yep, I use Brave with the Autoplay Stopper extension. Works great, stops all the HTML5 video.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:27 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Thanks for this - I followed the links but for some reason, was not offered the same "choices" by the Chrome preferences as those described in the instructions. So, sadly, it was a dead end for me. I even updated my Chrome browser to the latest version - no go.

Well, I'm going to switch to Safari. It's a bit of a pain to get everything set up again but more of a temporary problem than the annoying autoplay videos
That link has an update stating "Update 7/26/2018: Google has updated the desktop version of Chrome several times since this article was written and the option for the desktop browser no longer seems to work. You can always try out third-party extensions with varying degrees of success. However, blocking autoplay videos for Chrome on Android does seem to still work for most sites."

Regarding original post... I ran into the same problem with Chrome when I upgraded to new MacBook and Chrome version in the fall of 2020. Did some research at the time and learned that that the ability to disable autoplay was removed by Google.

I hate autoplay and rarely if ever watch videos, to save on data usage for one thing, and prefer reading like the OP stated.

Switched to Safari for this reason. Google Chrome has gotten this one wrong IMO.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Edit: Nope. Solution that I thought would work, didn't.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Yep, I use Brave with the Autoplay Stopper extension. Works great, stops all the HTML5 video.
+1

I've gotten used to the Brave browser (it is 90% the same as Chrome) and prefer it across all platforms now.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:48 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
+1

I've gotten used to the Brave browser (it is 90% the same as Chrome) and prefer it across all platforms now.
Will it use the saved passwords from Chrome? I have been using the auto generation PW creator in Chrome and they are all very long and complex...no way I could copy them all down.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
+1 I find Firefox to be a really good browser for privacy and to prevent unwanted intrusions. I don't know how or if it works on Apple products. It works beautifully in Windows, Linux and Android.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote