Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #21

As far as I can tell it's quite accurate for walking and running.

The Apple Watch has the most accurate heart-rate monitor according to new research

Quote:
Overall, the chest strap was almost as good as the EKG, measuring 99% accuracy, which isn’t too surprising as both technologies work the same way, capturing electrical activity directly from the heart.

Things dropped off for the commercial fitness bands, but it was the Apple Watch that maintained the most accuracy, managing around 91%,
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I'm Android all the way, and I don't like wearing a watch, timepiece or otherwise.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Looks like some of you use it for exercise/health monitoring. How well does the built in heart rate monitor work? I've tried a couple fitness watches that measures your heart rate directly from the watch instead of getting a signal from a chest strap and they all were inaccurate when doing exercises with a lot of movement like running.
When doing my aerobics/strength workouts I wear both the Watch and a polar strap monitored by the polar app on my iPad which gives me a nice live intensity graph "zone" display. They track closely.

I sometimes have trouble getting readings on my Apple Watch - they are sometimes way off or not reading, and it seems to be if it's stuck to my skin. I can usually get it reading properly but sometimes it takes a few minutes.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Just my opinion but what good is knowing your instantaneous heart rate even if it is accurate? I've run for decades and never needed that function. You know when you are overdoing it.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Just my opinion but what good is knowing your instantaneous heart rate even if it is accurate? I've run for decades and never needed that function. You know when you are overdoing it.
There have actually been several reported cases where the Apple watch detected an abnormally high heart rate when the watch did not detect the person was exercising, and they ended up going to the ER with atrial fibrillation or other heart related diseases which had they not detected it could have killed them.

The latest version of the watch software is periodically tracking your heart rate so that it can warn you if it detects an unusual rise in your rate. It's been getting very good accolades for this new feature. They hope to add blood glucose monitoring in the future, with the goal being to no longer require the pin pricks to determine if your blood sugar levels are high or low. I believe they have figured out how to do this but are still figuring out how to get through the FDA approval process. But it's coming for sure, and it could make a big difference in people's lives.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/16/apple...te-saves-life/

Apple Watch notification helps save man's life: 'It would have been fatal'*
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

OK, I knew I was on thin ice with my comment. It would be at least an interesting novelty to see my heart rate stats.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Considering the number of fitness and smart watches that now offer that capability many must find it useful. From the American Heart Association:

Quote:
The close monitoring of your heart rate during exercise is the key not only to knowing that you're working out strenuously enough, but whether you're improving your fitness over time. While there are other means of judging the efficacy of your routines (like how hard you're breathing, how tired you are, whether you can walk or sing, etc.), heart rate monitoring is the single most reliable method. It provides objective data, unlike those more subjective gauges.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #28

Another interesting article on where Apple is going with the watch and health monitoring.

https://apple.news/A23ZMXkdERGqMt3An4B13uA
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The Apple Watch uses your heart rate to track your activity level during the exercise and for the whole day. That's one way it calculates activity calories burned. It's the way you meet your exercise goals.

I use it to pace myself during some exercises like a long bicycle ride.

The new watch is supposed to track things like resting heart rate, recovery time, etc. Things that indicate fitness and improving fitness.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The Apple Watch uses your heart rate to track your activity level during the exercise and for the whole day. That's one way it calculates activity calories burned. It's the way you meet your exercise goals.

I use it to pace myself during some exercises like a long bicycle ride.

The new watch is supposed to track things like resting heart rate, recovery time, etc. Things that indicate fitness and improving fitness.
That is great and I am sorry to those who own or lust after the Apple Watch for being a skeptic. I may even buy one someday. If it gets people to do their exercise routines then it is money worth spending. I use a Vivofit just to make sure I get my walking and/or running mileage in.

My heart rate doesn't seem to give me any new information because it's down there pretty low and has been for decades, maybe because I run a lot. If I had a heart condition I might consider connecting my Vivofit up to one of those heart rate monitors. And I would talk with my Doc about that too.

My own method for staying in decent shape is .... never mind, I don't want to bore you folks.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:56 AM   #31

Quote:
If it gets people to do their exercise routines then it is money worth spending.
Precisely.

The nagging encouraging reminders about exercise activity were the first feature I turned off when I got mine. But DW loves them and I have to say it has made a huge difference in her daily life (a former couch potato).
Old 10-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is great and I am sorry to those who own or lust after the Apple Watch for being a skeptic. I may even buy one someday. If it gets people to do their exercise routines then it is money worth spending. I use a Vivofit just to make sure I get my walking and/or running mileage in.

My heart rate doesn't seem to give me any new information because it's down there pretty low and has been for decades, maybe because I run a lot. If I had a heart condition I might consider connecting my Vivofit up to one of those heart rate monitors. And I would talk with my Doc about that too.

My own method for staying in decent shape is .... never mind, I don't want to bore you folks.
I wore a Fitbit and regular watch on the same wrist for about about a year, so I was eager to move into an all in one like the Apple Watch. And it does way more especially as a phone companion - super handy. So for me it's been a very worthwhile investment.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:30 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Another feature I could use - version 3 has a built in barometric altimeter. This is a sensor missing in my iPhone SE, although the larger phones including the older iPhone 6 have it.

I climbed a huge number of stairs in Amsterdam but didn't get credit for it.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #34

So, I went out and bought an Apple Watch S3 (non-LTE version) a few days ago. It's amazing how much it's motivated me to move more to stay healthy. It's bugging me when I don't have my rings completed at the end of the day.

I blew even more dough on the wireless airpods, and it's great to listen to music while walking without messing with wires. Pairing them with the phone was the easiest thing ever: just open the box, tap OK on the phone, and done!

It automagically installed the watch versions of my phone apps, but I deleted many of them either because they required a cellular connection (like music or news), or they were simply poor implementations of apps on a tiny screen. [edit to add:] A couple of apps that are free on the phone wanted me to upgrade to a paid version to implement the watch app.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
So, I went out and bought an Apple Watch S3 (non-LTE version) a few days ago. It's amazing how much it's motivated me to move more to stay healthy. It's bugging me when I don't have my rings completed at the end of the day.

I blew even more dough on the wireless airpods, and it's great to listen to music while walking without messing with wires. Pairing them with the phone was the easiest thing ever: just open the box, tap OK on the phone, and done!

It automagically installed the watch versions of my phone apps, but I deleted many of them either because they required a cellular connection (like music or news), or they were simply poor implementations of apps on a tiny screen. [edit to add:] A couple of apps that are free on the phone wanted me to upgrade to a paid version to implement the watch app.
Have fun! Enjoy timers, reminders, messages, and all sorts of goodies!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I was a Windows gal for many years and a tech geek. About 7 years ago I got the phone, then 5 years ago the Mac, then the iPad. I resisted the watch. The apple products are more expensive, but less troublesome than Microsoft products. I have had a fitbit of some sort for almost 4 years. Love Fitbit and do challenges with friends. I wanted a smart watch because as a female, most of my clothes do not have pockets. My phone sits in my purse most of the time. 2 functions the watch did not do at all were flights of stairs and monitoring sleep. Until now.

I got my Apple Watch 3 about 5 weeks ago and L O V E it ! ! !

My favorite functions:
Tracking my exercise/movement
Tracking my sleep
Tracking my heart rate (it improves the cleaner my diet is)
Timer - I am forever timing things. I will do x for 10 min and then do Y. Need to check z in the oven in 15 min. Then 10 min. Need to take pills at 3pm. Need to call somebody in 30 min.. etc. It is always a click away.
Weather is at my finger tips.
Messages - I see them from my daughter immediately and can answer her with my watch.
Phone calls - even with my phone in my purse, I can answer calls and make calls with the watch.
Door Bell - I have a ring door bell and can sell the notification on my watch.

Those are the functions I use the most.

I do have the cellular model, but have not activated it yet. I thought it would be nice to have instead of one of those emergency buttons and about the same price.

I thought charging would be an issue. I keep mine in theatre mode, which means I need to touch it for it to come on. That gives me about 2 days of battery life. I got an extra charger and keep them in convenient locations. One charges while I get showered/ready to go out and another charges while I am sitting on the computer (so I don't lose too many steps).

Lastly... I still wear a Flex 2 to keep up with challenges with my Fitbit friends. The step count between the two devices is comparable.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote