Landline Phones

Until earlier this year, our wifi sucked. We live in an area where technology arrives last. AT&T fiber just came in and we switched, but still only get 100-150 mbps unless we hardwire. We are looking at Orbi or similar to enhance our wifi as we'd like to install a wireless alarm system.
I have a wireless alarm, works fine on my WIFI. Just checked my speed on my laptop, 50mbps down and 10mbps upload and I stream all my TV as well.

I have 100mbps Spectrum internet.

...If we were rural with no wired internet or spotty cell coverage, then I guess we'd really need a landline.

This is the reason that some of our family members have a land-line ... no cell coverage at their home and somewhat frequent power outages. They have cable Internet and cell phones work on wi-fi, but the router requires power, so they like to have a land-line in case of an emergency during an outage.

Our all-in-one printer/fax works fine when connect to an Obi via Google Voice. No land line needed.
Last time I called Staples I think they wanted $2 a page to send a fax, it used to be so cheap. I had looked into setting up the OBI faxing before and wasn't able to find out how, I will have to look into it again.
Thanks

Land line for use at home (prefer the voice quality) and cell phone (better than nothing) when traveling.

Last time I called Staples I think they wanted $2 a page to send a fax, it used to be so cheap. I had looked into setting up the OBI faxing before and wasn't able to find out how, I will have to look into it again.
Thanks

I didn't do anything to set it up. Just ran a regular phone wire from the obi to the printer/fax and another one from there to the phone.

I still have my landline number. Through Consumer Cellular I have a box that feeds off of my computer modem for $10 per month (box was free). Total for the two lines is $35 per month. I like having my legacy number.

The main reason for keeping two numbers is I do not have any backup phone number; no w*rk number, no other household member phone number. For me $10 is cheap insurance to have access to another phone line.

Can be either traditional POTS or VOIP. We had switched to VOIP but after our last 4 day internet outage and basically no phone capability (cell reception sucks), we switched back to POTS landline.
There's no doubt that POTS is super reliable. And clear.

We had a week-long outage due to a hurricane a few decades ago. AT&T rolled in generators to their distribution boxes. (They have batteries for shorter outages.) It was nice to have phone. Just make sure they are not all cordless! Keep at least one old fashioned one handy.

With VOIP, we're on the AT&T fiber network. They make almost as good effort at uptime on the fiber as the POTs. Problem is, I need battery backup on the fiber termination in the house. My current battery can only do about 6 hours. It is a trade off.

As for clarity, the mobile carriers are getting better. However, it can still suck. When my parents were alive, they couldn't hear well. That was a compelling reason to keep our land line back then. Oh, and DW and I could both get on the line very easily.

It is pretty tough to send a fax without a landline. I have a Magic Jack.

Oh irony.
There are apps for faxs all over the place. The most basic is take a picture of the document and email it. There are free scanner apps too.

Oh irony.
There are apps for faxs all over the place. The most basic is take a picture of the document and email it. There are free scanner apps too.
FAX on POTS is arguably much more secure, however.

There's no doubt that POTS is super reliable. And clear.

We had a week-long outage due to a hurricane a few decades ago. AT&T rolled in generators to their distribution boxes. (They have batteries for shorter outages.) It was nice to have phone. Just make sure they are not all cordless! Keep at least one old fashioned one handy.

... ...

Should have been clearer...our long outages are always only to the house, not neighborhood wide. AT&T determined it was our router and sent us a new one. Nope, not the problem. Sent out a tech and it was a problem on a nearby pole. That's usually what we go through, we got tired of it and went back to POTS.

Hard to send or receive a fax from home on a cell phone, if someone uses fax machines. We do on occasion.
I snap a pic with my cell phone and use a website to send faxes for free qhen I need to (approx twice a year?)

I’m surprised to hear so many folks still needing to send and receive faxes. I remember a few years ago when my online bank asked me to fax through a document to them and I asked if they seriously couldn’t accept a PDF and would require me to go to a public place like Kinkos and pay to send them a fax when I could send them a PDF from the privacy and convenience of my home. They accepted a PDF.

Thanks
For occasional faxing, there are free services. You just submit on-line, you don't need any fax capability. I've used:

faxzero.com

Search for others, there are quite a few.

You can pay to get added features, but this has been fine for the few times I've needed it.

-ERD50

I’m surprised to hear so many folks still needing to send and receive faxes. I remember a few years ago when my online bank asked me to fax through a document to them and I asked if they seriously couldn’t accept a PDF and would require me to go to a public place like Kinkos and pay to send them a fax when I could send them a PDF from the privacy and convenience of my home. They accepted a PDF.
Just last year, when I ER'd, I needed some stuff from Megacorp's contracted benefits department. They would ONLY fax it to me, or I could wait 2 to 3 weeks for snail mail. Well, what I needed was time critical for coordinating with DW's health plan.

So, I had to give them the Fax number of the local UPS store and run over there and pick it up for a few dollars.

Just last year, when I ER'd, I needed some stuff from Megacorp's contracted benefits department. They would ONLY fax it to me, or I could wait 2 to 3 weeks for snail mail. Well, what I needed was time critical for coordinating with DW's health plan.

So, I had to give them the Fax number of the local UPS store and run over there and pick it up for a few dollars.
Wow, that is so last century, but I at least now understand folks’ requirements to still be able to send and receive faxes. Thanks.

Wow, that is so last century, but I at least now understand folks’ requirements to still be able to send and receive faxes. Thanks.
But you know, it was like once in 5 years. The stuff they sent me had SS# and other sensitive stuff on it, so their security required either FAX or Mail.

At least the UPS store guy is my neighbor, so I have to put some trust in him, but who knows if one of his minions doesn't take a quick snap of my info and sell it.

I hope to never send or receive another fax again.

But you know, it was like once in 5 years. The stuff they sent me had SS# and other sensitive stuff on it, so their security required either FAX or Mail.

At least the UPS store guy is my neighbor, so I have to put some trust in him, but who knows if one of his minions doesn't take a quick snap of my info and sell it.

I hope to never send or receive another fax again.

As you say, faxing it to a public service like a UPS Office is probably a lot less secure than sending it as a PDF to the email address they have on record for you.

I got mail from a bank today. They say fax or mail a certain form back to them. I was thinking fax:confused: who uses fax anymore? Are you kidding?

I gave up my landline when I moved to this house, in July of 2015. I have not missed it even once.

Surprisingly did not seem to miss any calls, either. I had the phone company refer calls to my cell phone for however long they do it for free.

F is reluctant to ditch his landline, but I think he is coming around.

We have a UPS store about 2 blocks away, and I think I either sent or received one FAX there related to selling my old house. Other than that, there hasn't been any need to get other FAX's.

Why does it bother people when others have landlines? I'm sure it's less than 50% who have a strong need for one due to poor cell service or other reasons, but who cares?

I got mail from a bank today. They say fax or mail a certain form back to them. I was thinking fax:confused: who uses fax anymore? Are you kidding?

I think there are some transactions where email is not allowed, either legally or that organization's policy.

Yes, I think that's crazy and outdated, but if they require it, we are not likely to be able to fight it, at least not in the time frame we would need it.

But it never hurts to ask - I think some one else mentioned it, and it was my experience that after they asked for a fax, I suggested emailing a pdf, and that was OK too. Kinda surprising that would not be offered up front, it's not 1990.

DW seems to d a fair amount of faxing at work, I don't get it.

There are also sometimes the option of a 'secure' email, where you submit the document at their site, rather than through actual email. Always ask.

-ERD50

I didn't do anything to set it up. Just ran a regular phone wire from the obi to the printer/fax and another one from there to the phone.
I like you're way better so is this a permanent setup with a line splitter or just when you need to send or receive a fax you switch the cords? I was looking at having to set it up in the OBI menu on a different SP since the OBI200 only has one phone jack in the back. Occasionally a bank will want me to fax something although they usually will allow e-mail if I ask.

Back
Top Bottom