LastPass Free limiting device types

True, but after next month you'll only be able to use the shared individual account (assuming it's a free one) on either desktops or mobile. That's a showstopper for DW and me.

Based on posts on this thread it sounds like the Families option would be best for us, simply because it's cheaper than 2 Premium accounts. I just need to be sure the Family plan is multi-device and retains the same capability as Premium.

I agree with others about LastPass's value. I have no problem with paying for it at this point.

Currently DH & I have all of our passwords in one free account, which is used on both desktop and mobile devices. If I understand correctly, subscribing to the Premium service will allow us to continue to access our one account across all platforms. Am I missing something?

I agree that we will need to pay to continue getting the cross-platform service. I just don’t understand the need for a family plan or two individual paid plans for a two-person household. The software can accommodate multiple usernames/passwords for the same site. And I trust my husband. He can have access to my passwords, even for my Amazon account. [emoji23]

A possible free solution...

KeePassXC is a modern, secure, and open-source password manager that stores and manages your most sensitive information.

You can run KeePassXC on Windows, macOS, and Linux systems. KeePassXC is for people with extremely high demands of secure personal data management. It saves many different types of information, such as usernames, passwords, URLs, attachments, and notes in an offline, encrypted file that can be stored in any location, including private and public cloud solutions.

https://keepassxc.org/

^ Thanks jim584672 for the reference.

Do you know if KeePassXC has a mode where the password database can be accessed from multiple devices or is it intended to run standalone?

One of the big advantages of lastpass for me was the ability to access my passwords from any web browser if I needed to. Back when I was working that was especially important.

Thanks
-gauss

Thanks for the head's up on KeePassXC. I'm a fan of KeePass, but was always surprised the developer didn't drop the code onto GitHub.

I see KeePassXC has an active GitHub development community. Apparently, it is based on a fork from an original port of C# (KeePass) to C++ (KeePassX). KeePassX got stale, and they forked to the active KeePassXC.

All of this babble is to say if you are going to use open source, it is better to have an easily available active project with a lot of eyes on it.

I'll have to take a look at KeePassXC.

^ Thanks jim584672 for the reference.

Do you know if KeePassXC has a mode where the password database can be accessed from multiple devices or is it intended to run standalone?

One of the big advantages of lastpass for me was the ability to access my passwords from any web browser if I needed to. Back when I was working that was especially important.

Thanks
-gauss

I haven't run it yet, but I'm reading their FAQ, and it appears that what you are looking for is only partially supported. You can access it from multiple devices at the same time, but keeping them in sync would be up to you as a partially manual process. Regular keepass works this way too.

Automatic sync is difficult, requires knowledge of the cloud, and is perhaps THE reason LastPass can charge subscription $.

From https://keepassxc.org/docs/#faq-cloudsync

Why is there no cloud synchronization feature built into KeePassXC? Cloud synchronization with Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, ownCloud, Nextcloud etc. can be easily accomplished by simply storing your KeePassXC database inside your shared cloud folder and letting your desktop synchronization client do the rest. We prefer this approach, because it is simple, not tied to a specific cloud provider and keeps the complexity of our code low.

Last edited:
I could research, but in case an existing KeePassXC user knows off the top of their head...how does the OS/browser integration look on Android and Windows compared to LastPass? LastPass on Android was pretty marginal, often required opening the app and doing copy paste. Dashlane works better for me. On Windows, the LastPass add-on was also often trouble, whereas Dashlane seems to be working more smoothly. And LastPass vault actions seem clunky. If I thought LastPass was any good, I'd subscribe, but it's not very good.

I totally agree! $27/year is not even worth thinking about. Especially considering that I've used the product for years for free.
As long as you understand that it is $27 a year, but $27 for this year, and likely $36 for each year thereafter.

- Rita

As long as you understand that it is $27 a year, but $27 for this year, and likely $36 for each year thereafter.

- Rita

Good point. I’ve already added LastPass in my scheduled Quicken bills (next due Feb 2022) at $36. It won’t be less than that.

- Rita

One has a few options if the price gets unreasonable:
1) Use another app. Export the current Lastpass data to a .csv file to do this and then hopefully importing to the new app will be fairly easy.
2) Drop back to the free version on one device type.

I imagine if the price is too high that competitors will smell the opportunity and offer an alternative plus a easy route to conversion.

Currently DH & I have all of our passwords in one free account, which is used on both desktop and mobile devices. If I understand correctly, subscribing to the Premium service will allow us to continue to access our one account across all platforms. Am I missing something?

I agree that we will need to pay to continue getting the cross-platform service. I just don’t understand the need for a family plan or two individual paid plans for a two-person household. The software can accommodate multiple usernames/passwords for the same site. And I trust my husband. He can have access to my passwords, even for my Amazon account. [emoji23]

Thanks for the idea for a single Premium account. In our 2-person household, DW and I currently have two separate free accounts, so I was thinking we needed to maintain that. But with a single Premium account that we both log into (common username and PW) we can access all of our accounts, and not need to use the "Sharing" functionality across 2 userIDs. The problem now with sharing a password is that if one of us updates it, it doesn't automatically update the other's LastPass account.

I trust my wife also, despite her Amazon addiction :)

I will look into the single premium account too. I asked DW to show me her Lastpass account and she only uses it on the PC, not on the iPhone. So she could use the freebie.

Or we could create a folder called "DW" on on my premium account and use the export/import feature from Lastpass to dump her stuff into that folder. That might be the easiest way since she would have everything at her fingertips.

I don’t see the need for a family plan for DH and myself. For those websites where we each have our respective logins (Amazon, VG, Southwest, etc) LastPass handles multiples just fine. When I go to login to VG, for example, the LastPass icon shows in the username field with a 2 next to it to indicate that I have two passwords for this site. Hover over the icon, both usernames are displayed, pick the one you want to use. Easy.

Yes, a good point.

In our case I'd rather have my own organization of stuff and DW doesn't have to be poked by me if she changes this. But others may have different needs/desires.

Thanks for the idea for a single Premium account. In our 2-person household, DW and I currently have two separate free accounts, so I was thinking we needed to maintain that. But with a single Premium account that we both log into (common username and PW) we can access all of our accounts, and not need to use the "Sharing" functionality across 2 userIDs. The problem now with sharing a password is that if one of us updates it, it doesn't automatically update the other's LastPass account.

So, the idea of a single premium account is intriguing. I had assumed to do a Family Plan but I wonder now if that is really necessary. Will LastPass have an issue though we are both simultaneously signed into LastPass on our respective phones?

I mean we could organize stuff differently but really DH wouldn't organize anything. I would do it all.

Is there any reason not to share a single account (yes, I trust DH).

So, the idea of a single premium account is intriguing. I had assumed to do a Family Plan but I wonder now if that is really necessary. Will LastPass have an issue though we are both simultaneously signed into LastPass on our respective phones?

I mean we could organize stuff differently but really DH wouldn't organize anything. I would do it all.

Is there any reason not to share a single account (yes, I trust DH).

I tried the red (above) and it seemed fine. Used the Export/Import method to put all DW's stuff in a new folder. Since I have Excel I could edit the csv file which Lastpass exports.

On the iPhone it seems you cannot see the folder's organization but you can on the PC.

Will LastPass have an issue though we are both simultaneously signed into LastPass on our respective phones?

I’ve never had an issue. I’m usually logged on on my desktop and then use my touch-Id to access on my phone. DH rarely uses it.

Isn’t multi-device support what they are asking us to pay for? It had better work.

I use the free LastPass Chrome extension on my chromebook. I haven't seen anything yet that clarifies whether that is considered "mobile" or "computer" usage. Sometimes -- rarely -- I use LastPass on my Android phone, so if the chromebook is "mobile," then I can keep going as I am now.

I decided to go with Bitwarden over LastPass last year, because I liked its open-source model and it seemed to have pretty much everything I was looking for in a password manager. Very satisfied with my choice and would heartily recommend Bitwarden to anyone looking for a solid, full-featured, free password manager. I'm considering upgrading to the premium version for $10/year, because I want to support the ongoing development of the product and also because of the recently added "Emergency Access" feature. The EA feature (also available in LastPass Premium) would allow my designated trusted contact(s) to request access to my vault if something happened to me.

A possible free solution...

KeePassXC is a modern, secure, and open-source password manager that stores and manages your most sensitive information.

You can run KeePassXC on Windows, macOS, and Linux systems. KeePassXC is for people with extremely high demands of secure personal data management. It saves many different types of information, such as usernames, passwords, URLs, attachments, and notes in an offline, encrypted file that can be stored in any location, including private and public cloud solutions.

https://keepassxc.org/

Just wanted to say thanks... :flowers:

Because of your post, I decided to actually try KeePassXC.
I have been using KeePass for years, but it had some display issues on Linux.

I checked and Ubuntu Software (their built-in software store) had KeePassXC so the install was easy peasy.

I find it works GREAT.
I copied my encrypted database file as a precaution, and then tried KeePassXC on the copied db. It worked seamlessly, and everything is GREAT.
I'll be sticking with the KeePassXC going forward as it works more nicely than my old KeePass.

I don't know why to pay any fees, I use keepass and pretty happy with it !

I don't know why to pay any fees, I use keepass and pretty happy with it !
Same here. I have been a user over 15 years and quite happy with it, starting with the .kdb and later migrating to the .kdbx version. With all the various cloud storage backup offerings a user can setup how they want to sync and/or backup their database between devices.

It is kind of sad that keepassXC felt the need to fork. I hope they continue to support the .kdbx file formats. After a quick web search I don't understand what the XC version does that is any better. Seems like may have dropped support for some browser plugins?? but updated the UI?? ....but it is hard to believe they would be going backwards like that.

Same here. I have been a user over 15 years and quite happy with it, starting with the .kdb and later migrating to the .kdbx version. With all the various cloud storage backup offerings a user can setup how they want to sync and/or backup their database between devices.

It is kind of sad that keepassXC felt the need to fork. I hope they continue to support the .kdbx file formats. After a quick web search I don't understand what the XC version does that is any better. Seems like may have dropped support for some browser plugins?? but updated the UI?? ....but it is hard to believe they would be going backwards like that.

keepassXC forked to support running on OS's different from Windows.
No longer any need to fake Windows to run KeePass if living on a different OS.
No longer a need to download an unauthorized build for a different OS.

I'll bet there is some OS out there that none run on. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom