Join Early Retirement Today

LastPass Free limiting device types
Old 02-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’ve been a user of the free version of the LastPass password manager for a while now and like it a lot. I’ve mainly used it on iPhone and iPod Touch but occasionally on iPad and iMac.

They’ve notified users that in March 2021 the subscription model for free users will include only one of two types of devices: mobile or computer. To keep access to all devices will require a Premium subscription at a limited price of $27/year.

I use LastPass so much that I’ve considered upgrading before if only to help keep it alive. I probably will upgrade now to keep things seamless and simple.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2021, 08:03 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in the "Families Plan" 30-day trial period right now. Being able to share folders with family members (or whoever you designate as a family member) is a valuable feature. Although I like "free", the cost is not very much.
With this plan, I can still use LastPass on a desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:09 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wonder if you could setup a separate account and the export your passwords from the first account and then import them into the second account.

These would both be free accounts. One would be used on "computers" and would be used on "mobile devices".

If this is allowed, then the trick would be to somehow sync the two accounts periodically if that is important -- or maybe just 'blow the dough' and get the full paid subscription.

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:13 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If you receive the same notice I did and want to stay free it’s worth it to follow the “Learn More” support link. I see that Windows tablets are considered to be computers, not mobile.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:29 AM   #5

I'm annoyed but not surprised. I paid for a Premium account a while back, only to find their "Premium" support didn't really exist, I got nowhere filing tickets about issues I had. I got better support from other users on their forums, so I cancelled Premium. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one, as the forums had others with the same situation, and ironically even the LP rep on the forums seemed worse than useless (they provided bad advice because they never seemed to comprehend the issue we were having, and/or were unable to communicate a solution if they did).
Old 02-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The bogleheads are pretty revved up about this and many of them are moving to Bitwarden.

I never heard of Bitwarden. I use keepass and google drive.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
The bogleheads are pretty revved up about this and many of them are moving to Bitwarden.

I never heard of Bitwarden. I use keepass and google drive.
I will look into that. I like LastPass and may pay for the subscription but am interested in alternatives.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I wonder if you could setup a separate account and the export your passwords from the first account and then import them into the second account.

These would both be free accounts. One would be used on "computers" and would be used on "mobile devices".

If this is allowed, then the trick would be to somehow sync the two accounts periodically if that is important -- or maybe just 'blow the dough' and get the full paid subscription.

-gauss
I had the same idea. Synchronization isn't a huge deal for me (it could be done with post it notes or even email with a little confounding routine for good measure). But I fear they will kneecap importing on the free version to eliminate this work-around.

I've installed Dashlane concurrently with LastPass on the desktop machine, and it's sucking up passwords. The free version is limited to 50, which addresses most of my needs. Really two use cases... convenience for often visited sites and long term memory for rarely needed info and credentials. LastPass can continue to serve the latter use case, and Dashlane the former.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:55 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I went to Premium for $27/yr. For amounts like that I tend to just get it over with.

[ADDED] One nice feature that returns with Premium is “Security challenge”, which summarizes password strength, duplicates and so on across all your passwords/sites.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I've been a free user as well and use LastPass on the computer and on my phone. It has been super helpful to have it on both.

I've considered upgrading to Premium or Families before. They are now giving us a 25% discount for the first year.

I had thought about Dashlane before and looked at that again. However, it has also gone up in price not too long ago so is still a lot more than LastPass.

Biggest issue for me is whether to do the Families thing. DH has expressed an interest in that. I hadn't done it because we both have your individual logins to a lot of the same sites so I was worried that would make it more complex. But, I may go ahead and do Families now.

I did read an article that talked about Bitwarden, but lastPass seems to have more features. So...I'm thinking I'll just stay with lastPass but pay for the Families version....
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I went over to the Lastpass forum and asked about moving to the family plan. I'm cheap but not that cheap. I figure we should pay for security as it will be in the company's interest to retain the best people and keep their income stream going.

So I've done the free upgrade to the family plan and invited DW who graciously accepted. After a few weeks I will use a coupon to get the best (probably only 1 year) deal on this. Here is the coupon from the Lastpass site which I understand anyone can use:

Link to $36 family plan coupon: https://www.lastpass.com/buy/families
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:10 PM   #12

It looks like the tactic used by LogMeIn is working.I remember how disappointed I was when they bought LastPass because I figured they'd get greedy. And they did.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Biggest issue for me is whether to do the Families thing. DH has expressed an interest in that. I hadn't done it because we both have your individual logins to a lot of the same sites so I was worried that would make it more complex....

I don’t see the need for a family plan for DH and myself. For those websites where we each have our respective logins (Amazon, VG, Southwest, etc) LastPass handles multiples just fine. When I go to login to VG, for example, the LastPass icon shows in the username field with a 2 next to it to indicate that I have two passwords for this site. Hover over the icon, both usernames are displayed, pick the one you want to use. Easy.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It is cheaper for a family plan than 2 individuals.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
It is cheaper for a family plan than 2 individuals.

Even cheaper if you share an individual account.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
Even cheaper if you share an individual account.
Yes, a good point.

In our case I'd rather have my own organization of stuff and DW doesn't have to be poked by me if she changes this. But others may have different needs/desires.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

In an instance of fortunate timing, I received a note several days ago from the school where I did a graduate program saying it was time to change the password on my school email account. I don't use the account, but have kept it active 'just in case' I'd ever need/want to.

Fortunately, I read the email, because it also mentioned that the school provides free Premium LastPass accounts to all students/alumni. I didn't convert my Free account at the time, but once I got the email from LastPass changing their account features I went ahead and did so.

Mentioning this just in case anyone out there wants to check if their school/organization/employer/otherwise offers something similar..

FWIW, if this wasn't available to me, I'd likely have paid for Premium anyway. Not for any specific benefits since the Free version worked fine for my needs but I've considered signing up for Premium a few times given the value I receive from the tool.
EnricoPallazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #18

I’ve been paying for Lastpass since I started using it years ago. At the time, it was $12/year and I figured it’s better to support them in order to keep it a viable product.

I wasn’t thrilled when they were acquired and then increased the price, but I still get lots of value using Lastpass. It works well on all my devices and for the price, it’s still worth it.

I’ll probably take a look at the competition out of curiosity, but odds are I’ll stick with Lastpass.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #19

I've been a premium subscriber for a few years. Well worth it from my point of view.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I went to Premium for $27/yr. For amounts like that I tend to just get it over with.
I totally agree! $27/year is not even worth thinking about. Especially considering that I've used the product for years for free.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote