Leo Laporte is leaving radio

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For some of us it's the end of an era. Leo Laporte is retiring from his radio show.

But, it's not yet over. He said he will still be doing six podcasts a week including something called Ask the Tech Guy and Security Now. His last radio show is 12/14.

Radio veteran and Premiere Networks-syndicated personality Leo Laporte has announced that he will retire from radio at the end of the year. Since 2004, Laporte has hosted the popular technology talk show “The Tech Guy” on more than 200 radio stations nationwide. His last show will be Jan. 1, 2023.
DeMuro will be integrated into “The Tech Guy” through the end of the year, which will lead into the launch of “Rich On Tech,” a new three-hour weekend radio program debuting Jan. 7, 2023.

Last edited:
For that hot moment in time during the late 90s, The Screen Savers were it. I actually learned about Google from Leo and Kate, even before my geek co-workers used it.

Leo and Kate had great chemistry. I still watched a little after she left, and I would even visit Call for Help by Leo years later from time to time.

But times change, interests change, and Youtube killed the cable star. ZDNET, Tech TV, and whatever got killed. I lost track when he went to all radio, although I think I heard him a few times on XM.

Wish him the best.

I used to watch and listen to his shows religiously since the 90's and learned so much over the years from him. He introduced me to the Grand Central/Google Voice service which has saved me thousands of dollars since I got it and I still use it for family communications to this day. At the time my kids especially my IT son in law mocked me for it until he found out he could port his cellphone number for free to GV, forward all his calls to his company phone and get rid of his phone bill and 12 years on he's still using it although he can well afford the bill nowadays.

I‘ve been listening to Leo for decades and have learned much from his various podcasts.

I could tell he was getting close to retirement - before he did a passable job of keeping politics out of the shows, but lately he’s just stopped caring. Too many years of him living in the Bay Area bubble.

Leo is still into podcasting Big Time. That's how I listen to him. His regular experts on Tech Guy are pretty good. Home theater, new sound system, travel and now EVs are all well represented.

Steve Gibson, his security podcast guru, has given me great tips on new SciFi book series. I love finding a good series of books, that is old enough that I can read one book after another and not have to wait for the author to churn out the next episode. Mr. Gibson has taken being a Geek into an entirely new realm of erudite pleasure.

I‘ve been listening to Leo for decades and have learned much from his various podcasts.

I could tell he was getting close to retirement - before he did a passable job of keeping politics out of the shows, but lately he’s just stopped caring. Too many years of him living in the Bay Area bubble.

Agreed. I was going to cancel him anyway.

Anyone else remember Leo on MSNBC's "The Site" with Soledad O'Brien? It was on 1996-1997. I learned a lot from that show.

Aw man, sorry to hear he has mixed politics into his show. My favorite meteorologist went the same way.

Seriously, folks, we just want you to talk about your subject that you are expert at. Adding politics makes you a bore.

Leo, enjoy your retirement. I won't be visiting your podcast.

Steve Gibson, his security podcast guru, has given me great tips on new SciFi book series. I love finding a good series of books, that is old enough that I can read one book after another and not have to wait for the author to churn out the next episode. Mr. Gibson has taken being a Geek into an entirely new realm of erudite pleasure.
Same with me, although I've been catching fewer and fewer security now episodes since I retired almost 9 years ago. You know, but others might not, you can search the security now transcripts to gain insight into a specific topic (ie scifi shows/books) if you don't want to be continually depressed over the never-ending set of stories about how horrifically broken all are aspects of the computer security infrastructure.

Back
Top Bottom