Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't think that anybody meant to imply that every smartphone owner is tethered to their phone, but some of them absolutely are.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
My iPhone 6 died while I was taking a trip in my 30 yr old hobby car. I had to navigate from toll booth to toll booth. I bare remembered the address I was going to (only because I had to manually enter it into the GPS). I was also going to meet some friends for lunch but I didn’t have their numbers memorized. Never felt so helpless in all my life.
I understand that an old phone can be used to dial 911 even if you are not on a service plan.
I had to do the ole manual navigation after my phone died. I somehow remembered the address, went to a gas station looked it up in the map book, wrote down the directions and approx mileage on a paper. Then I was like glancing over at my paper and trying to find street signs and thought geez this is difficult and unsafe. I was totally distracted...vs

TURN RIGHT, TURN LEFT 100'... with an occasional MAKE A U TURN yelling at my in a robotic female command like voice.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #63

Sorry, but smartphones are just so darn convenient.

A new Tracfone smartphone with GPS is $50, minutes/texts/data good for a year.

I leave it in the car in case my primary smartphone dies.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post

A few weeks ago, I was notified by our pro football team that our season tickets will not arrive in the mail but will only be available on the their app. People without smartphones will have to contact their customer service department. You think they would have giving us the courtesy of choosing which method we would like to use.......
There will be more and more examples where the standard delivery or contact medium will be a smartphone. I see airline tickets/boarding passes heading this way in the not too distant future. Yes they will have an alternative for those without smartphones, but it will likely cost you something or cause more effort on your part.

I'm old enough to remember when writing a check was the standard method of payment for goods and services. Try that with Amazon
mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #65

Lots of pluses to having a smart phone.

I love not having to get in a car, drive to the bank, stand in line, etc when the tenant gives me the rent check. I just use the app that takes a picture of both sides of the check, hit submit, and it's instantly deposited. Nice for the planet, also, not having to drive.

Discount AMC movies on tuesday because I have the app. Much rather pay $5 than $14 for a movie... and the close by theater has the comfy reclining seats!

Navigation - with real time traffic rerouting. I *love* the google lady when I have to drive during rush hour.

And hey - how would I play pokemon go without a smart phone... my secret addiction.

But I agree with what someone upstream said - if you're buying flagship phones every 1-2 years you are addicted... My phone is 2+ years old and was sub $200.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Addicted I don't know, it's a value thing again. Some people keep laptops and phones until they puke out some people like to go with the bells and whistles as least a 2 year old is worth something in a trade in. It's a lot like cars I don't say people that buy new cars every 2 or 3 years are addicted to cars.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

No smart phone here. It was only 3 1/2 years ago I caved and finally got my first cell phone, a low-end, cheap, pay-per-minute TracFone LG. It has come in handy for a few things although it has been mostly a receptacle for all the junk calls and texts I get which are about 90% of all of its activity. At least I am not burning up most of my minutes on all that junk because I basically reject the calls without listening to their shticks.

I am rarely on the phone, land line or cell phone, so I surely don't need some expensive, high-end device. My desktop PC is where all my computing action is, anyway.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

We have smartphones because that is what was available. We only have cell coverage. No internet service. Don't need it. We have it at home. We can get it on our ipads at many restuarants, public areas etc.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:16 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a smart phone, mostly for the navigation app. Otherwise, I'd have a dumb phone and save the money. I see too many people walking around like zombies with their face stuck in their phone!
Old 07-31-2018, 05:52 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

I resisted getting a smart phone for years. My mind was changed when I went on an overseas vacation with friends, and they used their phones to navigate the streets of Istanbul and find restaurants on the fly. The ease of navigation in a strange place was incredible. I was sold. If I didn't travel to unfamiliar locations as often as I do, I would probably think twice about getting one. Although the point about using it for Uber and online tickets is a strong one, as those are two features I use frequently.

However, I became addicted to a game on my phone to the point that I finally deleted the app (Candy Crush...don't judge).
bevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:10 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Lots of pluses to having a smart phone.

I love not having to get in a car, drive to the bank, stand in line, etc when the tenant gives me the rent check. I just use the app that takes a picture of both sides of the check, hit submit, and it's instantly deposited. Nice for the planet, also, not having to drive.

Discount AMC movies on tuesday because I have the app. Much rather pay $5 than $14 for a movie... and the close by theater has the comfy reclining seats!

Navigation - with real time traffic rerouting. I *love* the google lady when I have to drive during rush hour.

And hey - how would I play pokemon go without a smart phone... my secret addiction.

But I agree with what someone upstream said - if you're buying flagship phones every 1-2 years you are addicted... My phone is 2+ years old and was sub $200.
Plus:
Camera to take pictures that you encounter while on the go
Music to play while traveling
Kindle reader when on public transit or waiting for your doctor's appointment
Having a record of drugs taken in case asked
Being responsive to time-sensitive emails/texts*
Assist in shopping such a price checks, quality comparisons, etc.

* this seems to be the only one that consumes young people

I am sure there are others.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Plus:

+1
Being able to pull up car insurance information if needed.

Ability to send documents to a printer easily.

Ability to check security cameras remotely.

Ability to unlock house or car doors.

Ability to locate car in larger parking lot.

Ability to warm up car by starting it in the winter.

Ability to open garage doors remotely.

Able to find other family member’s misplaced phone.

Apple Pay

Ability to dictate notes.

Easy access to addresses and phone numbers of contacts.

Walking directions along with driving directions.

Easy searching for nearby restaurants, gas stations and stores.

Appointment reminders

Notifications of package deliveries.

Always have a calculator or currency converter available.

I’m sure there is still much more that hasn’t been mentioned.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I really depend on the "supplemental memory" feature, otherwise known as the set-a-reminder feature on the calandar app. Never forget an appointment, bill payment, birthday, filter change...or when to take the garbage to the street.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:38 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Just came back from a tour where, as usual, most participants were couples 65-75, and a few in their 80's. A couple of single women in their 50's. The women all had smartphones. Only a few of the men used them. The married men basically had the women doing everything. But that doesn't mean they could have gotten along without the smartphone, just that they didn't need to squint at the little screen.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

DW has an iphone 6S+ while I have an Android Nexus 5X. If she has an issue with her phone, I tell her to go to the Apple store. Gets me off the hook!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:43 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
How do you non-smartphone folks call for Uber or equivalent if needed?

I have never used Uber or any similar service. I’ve used taxis in other countries. If I’m in my hometown, I can get anywhere I need to go by walking, biking, or by car. I walk and bike a lot more than most people.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Plus:

What do you use to keep record of drugs taken?

As for price shopping while at a store, its called "show rooming." Brick and mortar is endangered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
+1
Being able to pull up car insurance information if needed.

Ability to send documents to a printer easily.

Ability to check security cameras remotely.

Ability to unlock house or car doors.

Ability to locate car in larger parking lot.

Ability to warm up car by starting it in the winter.

Ability to open garage doors remotely.

Able to find other family member’s misplaced phone.

Apple Pay

Ability to dictate notes.

Easy access to addresses and phone numbers of contacts.

Walking directions along with driving directions.

Easy searching for nearby restaurants, gas stations and stores.

Appointment reminders

Notifications of package deliveries.

Always have a calculator or currency converter available.

I’m sure there is still much more that hasn’t been mentioned.
How do you store car insurance info on the phone? Is there an app. for that?

Which car and app. for locking doors, starting cars?

I have a smart door lock but rarely use that door. It was mostly for fun.

I also considered getting a Wifi bridge for my garage door opener so I could use the app. But really, its much simpler to reach for the clicker on my visor. The main advantage is you can check to see if the door is open when you're away from home, as well as open it to let some friend or relative in. But I don't know how secure the app. from the garage door opener company is.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
What do you use to keep record of drugs taken?

As for price shopping while at a store, its called "show rooming." Brick and mortar is endangered.

How do you store car insurance info on the phone? Is there an app. for that?

Which car and app. for locking doors, starting cars?

I have a smart door lock but rarely use that door. It was mostly for fun.

I also considered getting a Wifi bridge for my garage door opener so I could use the app. But really, its much simpler to reach for the clicker on my visor. The main advantage is you can check to see if the door is open when you're away from home, as well as open it to let some friend or relative in. But I don't know how secure the app. from the garage door opener company is.

USAA’s app allows you to quickly access your insurance cards if stopped by police, in an accident, or for whatever you need that or any insurance, banking or documents you might need.

Our Subaru and Lexus both have apps for unlocking, finding or starting the car ( Lexus only). My son installed a remote car starter for his car allowing him to start it.

Our door locks are great for setting codes so you know who and when the person you’ve created a code for goes in.

The garage door opener is as secure as your home WiFi network.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:28 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I think most users really don’t know all the features accessible on their phones. I have to remind myself that I have a camera with me pretty much all the time. I take pictures of all my membership cards like insurance, BJs and AARP. I can even get AARP discounts by having the photo scanned. I just started using Apple Pay a few weeks ago after having the phone almost 4 yrs.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikubak View Post
I have never used Uber or any similar service. I’ve used taxis in other countries. If I’m in my hometown, I can get anywhere I need to go by walking, biking, or by car. I walk and bike a lot more than most people.
I often use local transit when at home because time is available. I read on the bus (Smartphone Kindle). But Google tells me what buses to take to new destinations. Easy peasy. In fact, I seldom use my device as a phone. Too many other transit riders eaves dropping. Will text if something is urgent.