Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2022, 05:06 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Doesn’t it have an option to print a page automatically every X number of hours? Seems like if it just printed a test page a couple times a week automatically, that would go a long way to solving the closing issue.
No such option with my printer.

I did read an Amazon review where someone said he created a script to automatically submit a print every day and that prevented his inkjet printer from printing. But not everyone knows how to do that. Plus, then comes down to waste a little ink and paper every day or waste at print head clean time.

I was printing a page every week manually and that was keeping the printhead from clogged. At least for awhile but then they started clogging anyhow. Could be because I'm still using the original ink that came with printer (almost 2 years ago). Maybe the older they get even in sitting idle in tank, they clog easier.

I've also seen inkjet cleaning solutions available. But the process looks time consuming. Involving unhooking the hoses where ink goes into the print head, putting paper towels underneath, injecting the solution into the hoses to unclog. Even if this works, who wants to go through that process? Plus, which costs more, the cleaning kit or wasted ink in a print cycle?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2022, 10:01 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I was printing a page every week manually and that was keeping the printhead from clogged. At least for awhile but then they started clogging anyhow. Could be because I'm still using the original ink that came with printer (almost 2 years ago). Maybe the older they get even in sitting idle in tank, they clog easier.
My cheapo Brother MFC-J885DW color inkjet has a clean function that automatically cleans the print heads depending on how long the printer has been inactive. I use this printer at least once a week, but I do see/hear the clean cycle come on a couple times a month.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Update
Old 07-29-2022, 01:39 PM   #23

Update

Well, I took a risk. Last night DW printed something and it didn’t look too bad. Leading me to believe that if I just get the leaking cartridge out of there, the printer would basically clean itself. So I skipped the $100 for cleaning and went out and bought new color cartridges for the printer. The black was just recently replaced with a genuine HP cartridge. So I’m into this machine for $290.

I put in the new cartridges and I took one of those eyeglass cleaning micro fiber cloths and very gently cleaned up the transfer belt. The machine has a “cleaning page” function, so I ran that. Printed a demo page and things look back to normal. Now I just hope the machine keeps ticking.

Of note: The HP machine I was looking at from Costco was not in stock this morning. These sub $500 color MF lasers seem to be in short supply. The office supply store that still has one has it priced at list, which is about $60 more than what Costco was selling it for.

Also, Office Depot was rebating 30% on the cartridges, so, $80. That’s just enough to get a standard size black cartridge to have on hand. Not too bad to get a full set of cartridges for just under $300. Here’s hoping I made the right decision.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:51 PM   #24

I bought the Brother L3750CDW all in one color laser in 2020. Actually, I ordered it in Dec 2020 and got it June 2021. I paid $410 for it then. Now it's $700. Wow! Love it, but maybe not as much @ $700.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
My cheapo Brother MFC-J885DW color inkjet has a clean function that automatically cleans the print heads depending on how long the printer has been inactive. I use this printer at least once a week, but I do see/hear the clean cycle come on a couple times a month.
With the auto clean function, does the cheapo ever get clogged? I've read a plus of the Brother's is the auto clean function.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I bought the Brother L3750CDW all in one color laser in 2020. Actually, I ordered it in Dec 2020 and got it June 2021. I paid $410 for it then. Now it's $700. Wow! Love it, but maybe not as much @ $700.
I just looked up my Brother MFC-L3770CDW that I bought in 2019 for $350 and it is now $700 too (on Amazon). Yikes! Listed as $500 at Best Buy but sold out.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:17 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
With the auto clean function, does the cheapo ever get clogged? I've read a plus of the Brother's is the auto clean function.
So far, about 3 years, no clogging. As I said I use it to print a couple sheets one day a week, although there have been weeks with no paper run through the printer.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:22 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So far, about 3 years, no clogging. As I said I use it to print a couple sheets one day a week, although there have been weeks with no paper run through the printer.
When I got my Epson I also strongly considered a Brother instead. Went with the Epson as that's more actually tank than the Brother. But may start having second thoughts.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:52 PM   #29
Administrator

I have an HP M277c6 - about 5 years old that came from costco. It's still going strong. Downside is the cost of cartridge's - I just got a new set for almost $275.

I've always used branded cartridge's (based on anecdotal horror stories but no real info) and am hoping that the printer dies at the end of the cartridge life...

This HP has been a hassle free workhorse.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:52 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Well, I took a risk. Last night DW printed something and it didn’t look too bad. Leading me to believe that if I just get the leaking cartridge out of there, the printer would basically clean itself. So I skipped the $100 for cleaning and went out and bought new color cartridges for the printer. The black was just recently replaced with a genuine HP cartridge. So I’m into this machine for $290.

I put in the new cartridges and I took one of those eyeglass cleaning micro fiber cloths and very gently cleaned up the transfer belt. The machine has a “cleaning page” function, so I ran that. Printed a demo page and things look back to normal. Now I just hope the machine keeps ticking.

Of note: The HP machine I was looking at from Costco was not in stock this morning. These sub $500 color MF lasers seem to be in short supply. The office supply store that still has one has it priced at list, which is about $60 more than what Costco was selling it for.

Also, Office Depot was rebating 30% on the cartridges, so, $80. That’s just enough to get a standard size black cartridge to have on hand. Not too bad to get a full set of cartridges for just under $300. Here’s hoping I made the right decision.
When the powder toner leaks from somewhere it may end up in nooks and crannies that aren't blown onto the paper. It sounds like you may be out of the woods, and printing will be fine.

What might blow the toner around is any cooling fans that's internal. Also, when you change the cartridge that's probably an opportunity for knocking that powder around.

Awesome outcome so far.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Try 4Inkjets to save a lot of money on ink
Old 07-31-2022, 01:49 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Try 4Inkjets to save a lot of money on ink

Try 4Inkjets https://www.4inkjets.com to save a lot of money on ink. Both OEM and 3rd party. I have used their 3rd party ink since 2007 and the ink holds up and does not fade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have an old HP color laser printer... it has been working good for me for many years...

However, it did not seem to print pictures that well... so I bought an Epson big tank printer... it has been great... the ink is VERY cheap, but I have not had to buy any yet as I got two bottles of each color with the printer...

It will take years to go through that ink...
Do not get stuck on a laser..
Davidhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:29 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhelp View Post
Try 4Inkjets https://www.4inkjets.com to save a lot of money on ink. Both OEM and 3rd party. I have used their 3rd party ink since 2007 and the ink holds up and does not fade.

Sorry, but they sell LD products... at first I bought these and had no problem... but my recent purchases all leaked and all stopped printing after about 150 pages...

I got replacement cartridges for free... but they did the same... I can live with one, but 6 failures in a row... (I did not replace the black as I had HP from work when they got rid of their printer)...

Not going with LG every again...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:25 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Try google search: best refill ink for HP

Best third-party ink replacements for HP printers 2022
https://www.windowscentral.com/best-...ts-hp-printers
Smart Ink may be the one for you.

I have had recent trouble with LD ink myself being recognized by my Epson XP-6100 Expression printer. I did not know of these extra steps so I will try the cartridges again that I have that failed.
I have a photo black that will need to be replaced soon.

LD Products for Expression & XP Series
Unbeatable bargain

The one issue we had with this set was during installation. All the cartridges fit nicely into both Expression and XP Series printers, but we learned that you must run a nozzle and printer head check after adding each canister to get the printer to recognize them. If you don't mind performing a few extra installation steps, ink quality is good and the price is cheap.
https://www.windowscentral.com/best-...epson-printers
Old 08-01-2022, 04:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Sorry, but they sell LD products... at first I bought these and had no problem... but my recent purchases all leaked and all stopped printing after about 150 pages...

I got replacement cartridges for free... but they did the same... I can live with one, but 6 failures in a row... (I did not replace the black as I had HP from work when they got rid of their printer)...

Not going with LG every again...
Same here. Mine lasted a long time in terms of the calendar, but they were only 40% used. The cyan was the worst, but the magenta was leaking too. Couldn’t get them out of my machine fast enough. I was thinking about contacting them, but if their recourse is to send out replacement cartridges, that not going to happen.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:59 AM   #35
Administrator

I have two printers. An old HP Laser Jet P2035n for most needs and a new HP Envy Inspire 7995e multi-function color printer. I've been happy with both of them.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:41 PM   #36

Some friends recently moved and asked if I wanted their copier. I said sure. Holy Mother of Laser Cartridges! This Savin C2020 beast took four of us to move to my much too tiny office yesterday. My friend paid $10K for it ten years ago but the first Minnesotan who wants it gets it - gratis.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:11 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is what it must have taken to move it.... : )
https://cdn.hackaday.io/images/2820691428850679679.png

You can sink it in a lake there in Minnesota so the fish have some habitat to roam around in. It would create a great fishing spot!
Old 08-02-2022, 08:21 AM   #38

^^^^^ Ha, yeah, I would not be surprised at all if some deluxe ice fishing shanties include a home office, with copier, these days. [ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0668.JPG (312.7 KB, 14 views)
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have two printers. An old HP Laser Jet P2035n for most needs and a new HP Envy Inspire 7995e multi-function color printer. I've been happy with both of them.
Would you believe I'm still using an HP LaserJet 1200 for many print jobs?

LaserJet-1200.jpg

Old 08-02-2022, 08:50 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Would you believe I'm still using an HP LaserJet 1200 for many print jobs?
Since we're going down memory lane we use an HP Color LaserJet CP2025dn. It's about 12 years old.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote