Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Glad this fixed it for you. But to be clear, I'm pretty sure that "mkv" is another one of those "wrappers" that contains the various audio and video files. Those files can be various types.

I'm guessing that the conversion to mkv also did something to the contained files to clean them up? Did you get any sense of that?

-ERD50
Yeah, must have done "something." Met my satisfaction .

For some reason, the player plays nicer with mkv than MP4.

At least now I have two options when I encounter a problem child video with snapping noise. Convert to mkv or put to DVD. So, not all is lost .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2020, 10:12 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Main reason I tried AviDemux over VideoRedo is because of familiarity and also free just to do a quick and dirty test.
Though when I have a bit more time, will probably try out the free trial of VideoRedo. I'm always game for checking out nice software.
Same here. I've used VideoRedo for a long time to remove commercials from TV recordings, so I'm already familiar with it. That's probably a big reason I prefer it.

I have a custom utility I wrote to process videos. I dump them all in a folder, and run the utility. It cleans up the file names, determines the codecs used with MediaInfo, reprocesses the video with VideoRedo, then saves them to a new output folder. Saves me a lot of time.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
For some reason, the player plays nicer with mkv than MP4.
As I understand it, MKV has less "overhead" than MP4 does. However, I suspect the playback issues are caused by incorrect formatting within the file, rather than if it's an MKV or MP4 wrapper. At least for me, either format works as long as I reprocess the video to clean up the streams. I also strip out chapter marks, closed captioning, extra audio streams, and other stuff I don't need.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:25 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
Same here. I've used VideoRedo for a long time to remove commercials from TV recordings, so I'm already familiar with it. That's probably a big reason I prefer it.

I have a custom utility I wrote to process videos. I dump them all in a folder, and run the utility. It cleans up the file names, determines the codecs used with MediaInfo, reprocesses the video with VideoRedo, then saves them to a new output folder. Saves me a lot of time.

That sounds like a nice system you have. Nothing like cleaning things up in a batch run. Sounds like you put in some work in the effort.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #45

We have gone through many generations of media players:
Past:
Several Western Digital Live Media Players (discontinued and does not support 4K)

Present:

Roku Premier (plays back 4K and HD MP4 files) - You can connect your portable USB hard drive containing your media

Samsung, LG, Roku Smart TVs - Most TVs today have build in media players. You can connect your USB storage device and play back media.

The Smart TVs are a good option for playing back Mp4 files. I can even play back 10 bit color 4K video recorded in either mp4 or .mov format with my camera on my LD and Samsung TVs.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Music Player, mainly MP3
Old 11-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Music Player, mainly MP3

I use "Media Monkey" software on my Windows computer and Android phone.
https://www.mediamonkey.com/
I spent about $3.00 upgrading the app on the phone.
Both computer and phone have bluetooth transmitters. I bought a cheap bluetooth to analog converter that plugs into my (~1983) Pioneer amplifier.
https://www.wish.com/product/bluetoo...9e367f2a868dd9
Every once in a while, I need to recharge the converter.
Media Monkey will do MP4s and other video media, depends on how much you upgrade it, but it's cheap.
Decided to use Media Monkey on my phone after Google Play disappeared.
My friend used above hardware and software to do part time DJ work.
DaveInMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #47

Sony BDP-S6700 will play MP4 and MKV.

Main problem is that if it overheats that kinda kills it -- it works sometimes and doesn't work sometimes after that. So buy a long extended warranty and expect to get it replaced by a new one in a year or two.
Or....don't put it on top of the audio amplifier.

I used to play videos from a USB stick, but then I set up a media server (minidlna) and now play everything from that.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I have used VLC as a media player for many years. But, TBH, PLEX and PlayOn are my usual so really haven't look for an alternative. https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Nevertheless, VLC in addition to being free, has (IMHO) any adjustment to video (and audio) that one could ask for.

Would this (image of) be what you are looking for?

Attachment 36695
I second and third VLC.
Love
Jay Shah
jayanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Its MUCH simpler
Old 11-17-2020, 10:27 PM   #49
Confused about dryer sheets

Its MUCH simpler

HDMI cable from laptop to TV..... Pepper Jobs W10 GYRO Air TV Remote, QWERTY Keyboard Fly Mouse for Win 10 (Amazon $25)

BEST remote I've ever used with a WIN10 system!!

Enjoy in your lounger and don't get up except for another beer
mtshus is offline   Reply With Quote
I'm liking my Odroid N2+ setup
Old 11-17-2020, 11:31 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm liking my Odroid N2+ setup

I use an Odroid N2+ with 2GB ram running OpenELEC:

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odro...-2gbyte-ram-2/

It looks rather raw in that picture but there's a good case you can order:

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-n2-case-black/

For a remote I'm using an "Rii Mini i25 Multifunction Mini Wireless 2.4GHz Air Mouse Keyboard K25 Infrared Remote Control, Black (mwk25)". It's not perfect, but it's good enough, and the charge lasts forever - I've only charged it once since C19 started. There are many other choices for remotes in this little ecosystem, I stopped immediately when I hit good enough.

I play back MKVs made from 1-to-1 blu-ray rips. The player is responsive and full featured, zero issues with audio or video, and the OpenELEC software does a nice job with TV series and movie collections like sequels. Ideally you'd pair it with a NAS or network file share as I've done, but it definitely supports an external hard drive or flash drive.

I tried a raspberry pi before settling on the Odroid hardware but it had stuttering issues. Before that I was running Boxee Boxes for many years, which I really liked but which were starting finally to have compatibility issues of various kinds.

I also have a Roku I use for all commercial services.
Fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:37 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a largish Samsung Smart TV with Plex on it. I have a Plex server running down in the basement (in my office) with 12 TB of external USB3 hard drives on a cheap Beelink computer. Our network is hardwired Cat5e cabled with 1 gig switches and 7 wifi routers around the property. There is no lag whatsoever and I regularly play 4K video on the TV without problems. It also plays Amazon prime and Netflicks at high resolution.

I have a small ~$30 android based player as a backup should the Samsung become finicky (which has happened several times due to firmware upgrades). That player runs Kodi at 4K fine but generally I only use the TV. SWMBO hasn't a clue how to run any of this so I am appointed media director for our evening viewings.

I also do all the P2P downloads of various stuff as we are in Hungary so many things we enjoyed in the US are simply not available here or can't get english subtitles for. It works out well for us. It is an ongoing game to still get Netflix and Amazon Prime as they are continuously trying to shut down people trying to watch things not authorized outside the US. I personally find that strange as we are paying for it but restricted to only things they want Hungarians to see. So a good VPN service is often necessary and something like a IP address spoofer is also necessary otherwise I get the dreaded "We notice you are traveling and the content you wish to view is unavailable in your area" message meaning they have once again figured out my VPN. So, I have to setup the TV to have its own IP address using a specific spoofer and the Samsung is relatively easy to do that with. Sometimes it is merely resetting it to clear the cache. It is a nuisance and P2P is in some ways easier in the long run and technically not illegal here...yet. Hungary is very slow to adopt EU mandates.
Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if anyone has been able to use subtitles in .srt format over the network. I usually prefer external subtitles, since what comes with DVDs or BRs starts out as an image file and usually first needs text recognition, which works only so-so and leaves lots of errors. Also, often the formatting of subtitles is very poor (too few characters per line from the time of low-resolution tube TVs, too many lines, etc). This applies even to subtitles downloaded from for example opensubtitles.org, so I usually first clean them up with a tool like "Subtitle Edit", which does most of this automatically and quite easily.

The problem is that the DLNA protocol has no provisions for .srt files or other "sideloaded" files, and if anyone wants to offer this support, it has to come through a non-standard way that works both on the DLNA server and the receiver in the end device. I have tried Plex and Serviio (with special profiles for my SONY and LG end devices), but was never successful to send external subtitle files. So I usually use the old, "sneaker network" method of having movies and subtitle files on hard disks that are connected to the USB ports of the BR player or TV, and in that case everything works fine. Is there anybody who has experience with this and got it to work over the network?
Leo1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I have used VLC as a media player for many years. But, TBH, PLEX and PlayOn are my usual so really haven't look for an alternative. https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Nevertheless, VLC in addition to being free, has (IMHO) any adjustment to video (and audio) that one could ask for.
VLC is indeed quite powerful, but over the last 1-2 years, my favorite player has been "PotPlayer" by the Korean software powerhouse Kakao (which also makes the Kakao Talk IM and phone tool used heavily in Korea). PotPlayer is as powerful and robust as VLC, but in my opinion is more polished and has a much nicer interface.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1277 View Post
I wonder if anyone has been able to use subtitles in .srt format over the network... Is there anybody who has experience with this and got it to work over the network?
Yes. Kodi/OpenELEC supports this.

I purchased a German blu-ray thinking it had English subtitles, but it did not. There's a Kodi/OpenELEC plug-in that will use OpenSubtitles.org, and I used it to get subtitles working for this movie.

Hopefully that meets your use case well enough to be relevant.
Fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:20 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielding View Post
Yes. Kodi/OpenELEC supports this.

I purchased a German blu-ray thinking it had English subtitles, but it did not. There's a Kodi/OpenELEC plug-in that will use OpenSubtitles.org, and I used it to get subtitles working for this movie.

Hopefully that meets your use case well enough to be relevant.
Thanks, this is interesting. One thing is that it seems OpenELEC seems to be dead by now, or not further supported, see for example https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/21...info-outdated/ . I just wish DLNA would see an upgrade, or would have done this from the outset - it is conceptually such a simple thing and takes next to no bandwidth, this should just be part of the standard.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #56

Plex can be a pain to get subtitles working, but I have it set up now with OpenSubtitles.org as an "agent" in the Plex configuration. I set it up a few years ago, so you'd probably be best off checking the Plex help files or forums, but I can tell you that all I had to do was create a login at OpenSubtitles.org and enter the login info into Plex. They're not always perfect, but they work most of the time.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:08 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Plex can be a pain to get subtitles working, but I have it set up now with OpenSubtitles.org as an "agent" in the Plex configuration. I set it up a few years ago, so you'd probably be best off checking the Plex help files or forums, but I can tell you that all I had to do was create a login at OpenSubtitles.org and enter the login info into Plex. They're not always perfect, but they work most of the time.
Thanks, this is worth exploring. However, OpenSubtitles doesn't have many of the subtitles I need, for example for foreign movies or rarer or older ones; so I'd like to load my own .srt subtitles which I already have, if this can somehow be done.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:30 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Plex mostly and there are subtitle settings which can link to Opensubtitles.org. The when you open a movie there is a 3 button icon to push which you can add subtitles then you either download yourself or it will do a search automatically and provide you a list to add. Press one if it matches the movie/show (often they are from an identical rip). I used to go through the somewhat painful method of finding a subtitle (there are roughly 3 sources for English Subtitles and many movies simply will not have them. you can then then add it manually into the same folder as the movie/how after renaming it to be exactly the same as the original file. It won't see them otherwise. This is true for Kodi as well. This is so much easier and painless now with this method. We use subtitles for everything as we have gotten to that age where we need them.

I use a private P2P client (actually several and they are by invitation after being vetted) and within them you can often find things that are ripped with subtitles. The private client links to a site that has clean virus free and well encoded files. I think many rips are done by younger people who never even think about subtitles. Their day will come. If you are doing P2P then do it behind a VPN with encryption especially if you are in the US and the UK (or China). Other countries don't waste their time. Russians are a great source of rips. Some people have gotten serious enough to take a foreign film subtitle file and convert it from whatever language it is in to English using google Translate on a PC/iMAC with the document convert option. This works pretty well most of the time. Iuse Google Translate all the time and especially on my phone using the camera to scan product labels to figure out what they are as Hungarian is not related to anything else in the world so unless it is a borrowed word from another language impossible to decipher. Translate works very well even with Hungarian.

Our main source of media though is Amazon Prime streaming or Netflix. Amazon Prime you have to spoof the IP address to use outside the US but always has everything with subtitles reliably (a few are off on timing which is an original source issue). Netflix is the opposite and they have gotten extremely aggressive about location. I am not too sure why as it is a token resistance here in Europe. For them you must subscribe in the country you are located in and then you are stuck as many things only have Hungarian subtitles and no English at all. I have tried several VPN blocker combinations and they always figure it out eventually. There are only so many IP address a VPN service uses and they figure these out fairly fast.
Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo1277 View Post
I wonder if anyone has been able to use subtitles in .srt format over the network.
I encode the subtitles as a stream in the mkv file.
As you know, DLNA does not support subtitles. My Sony BDP-6700 plays them fine in the mkv, but not in a mp4, and not as a separate srt over dlna.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

We’ve had great success ripping our DVD’s collection to a laptop disk drive. You end up with a library of MP4s. Then install the PLEX server software on the laptop and PLEX client software on a smart TV. Then I can watch my movie library on any of my smart TVs. Plus, you can watch remotely on your pad or tablet if you have sufficient bandwidth.
davidfin is offline   Reply With Quote