Join Early Retirement Today

Mac Book Air Fan Running
Old 11-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mac Book Air Fan Running

I have a somewhat crazy question. The fan starts running on my Mac Book Air (about 2 years old), but only when I am browsing the Early Retirement website. When I close out of the website, the fan stops after a few minutes. What could be causing this? Thanks in advance for any input.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's a problem with Macs. They know they will last so long that early retirement is out of the question (my last one ran 12 yrs before I just decided to get a new one). Makes them mad so they need to run a fan when reading about it. That's what I think the problem is but on the other hand.... maybe you need to reset the System Management Controller..... a fan that is running too much is one indication that may be needed. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
Old 11-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #3

So it only happens on this web site? Not other sites or browsing in general? To me, that would indicate graphics load on this site is more than other sites you visit. It’s working hard for some reason. OTOH, make sure it’s not something that’s part of your routine. If you always read the news and then switch over to this site, maybe it’s just a coincidence that you’re always search this site at about the same time (running time) every session.

Personally, I can’t stand fan noise so I got a computer with no fan. I’ve been thinking about a Mac but waiting for the bigger one to switch over to the M chip. Fan noise will be a significant consideration in whether or not I switch over to a Mac.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
That's a problem with Macs. They know they will last so long that early retirement is out of the question (my last one ran 12 yrs before I just decided to get a new one). Makes them mad so they need to run a fan when reading about it. That's what I think the problem is but on the other hand.... maybe you need to reset the System Management Controller..... a fan that is running too much is one indication that may be needed. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
. Thanks, I will take a look.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
So it only happens on this web site? Not other sites or browsing in general? To me, that would indicate graphics load on this site is more than other sites you visit. It’s working hard for some reason. OTOH, make sure it’s not something that’s part of your routine. If you always read the news and then switch over to this site, maybe it’s just a coincidence that you’re always search this site at about the same time (running time) every session.

Personally, I can’t stand fan noise so I got a computer with no fan. I’ve been thinking about a Mac but waiting for the bigger one to switch over to the M chip. Fan noise will be a significant consideration in whether or not I switch over to a Mac.
I started taking note and oddly it is just when I browse on this site in fact it just started running. I really like the Mac Book Air, but I don't like the fan noise at all. Signing off!
Old 11-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #6

I occasionally have safari notify me that this website is using an unusual amount of, can’t remember, cpu or energy. I look at the cpu monitor and it’s seems to be.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:06 PM   #7

^^^^ I suspect this is due to the version of vBulletin that this site uses, which appears to be quite old (but, I don't know much about this stuff).
Old 11-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I occasionally have safari notify me that this website is using an unusual amount of, can’t remember, cpu or energy. I look at the cpu monitor and it’s seems to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
^^^^ I suspect this is due to the version of vBulletin that this site uses, which appears to be quite old (but, I don't know much about this stuff).
I rarely (if ever) have this problem with this web site.

FireFox has a "Task Manager", it will give you far more detail than just the CPU monitor. It shows which windows/tabs within FireFox are using the most 'energy' and memory. The windows/tabs I have open from this site are all low on the list.

I do run an ad blocker though (sorry, but the ads are just too in the way/distracting of the content), that might make a difference?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:14 PM   #9

^^^ But it appears the OP is using Safari and not Firefox, maybe that old vBulletin version does not work well with Safari?
Old 11-19-2021, 09:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
^^^ But it appears the OP is using Safari and not Firefox, maybe that old vBulletin version does not work well with Safari?
Could be. What I was suggesting was to look for something like that Task Manager in Safari. It might give some clues.

-ERD50
Old 11-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have the same problem with the fan running on my MacBook air on this website too (no other websites). I figure something is telling me not to get on this website so much so I move on.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:56 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Start Safari in safe mode. See if the problem persists.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:08 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Time to get an iPad - no fan.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I have the same problem with the fan running on my MacBook air on this website too (no other websites). I figure something is telling me not to get on this website so much so I move on.
Have either of you tried an ad blocker? That might give a clue - it could be the load from ad displays?

-ERD50
Old 11-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Have either of you tried an ad blocker? That might give a clue - it could be the load from ad displays?

-ERD50
No problems with my older MacBook Air on this site, but I have always used an ad blocker so that might be the issue.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Time to get an iPad - no fan.
Or a new MacBook Air -- the latest model with the M1 chip has no fan.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My six year old MacBook Air has a noisy fan when I am watching a lot of video. Sometimes I prop the thing up to get more air circulating underneath. That seems to help reduce fan noise. Normally, the fan, if it is running, is dead quiet.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My six year old MacBook Air has a noisy fan when I am watching a lot of video. Sometimes I prop the thing up to get more air circulating underneath. That seems to help reduce fan noise. Normally, the fan, if it is running, is dead quiet.
I have opened up my laptops after a few years and blown out and vacuumed the dust around the fan. The CPU temperatures went down per my monitor app, and I could feel the difference in the air exhaust.

-ERD50
Old 11-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #19

There are a number of small utility apps you can download from the App Store that will tell you the current temperature of your laptop's battery, along with several other useful parameters.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #20

Thanks for all the input. I will add this is somewhat recent, like in the last month or so and my Mac Book is older that that.....