Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
My friend is mad at fitbit too. He bought 2000 shares at 25 at a share. He wanted to let me in on this investment opportunity he found. I declined.
That's a lot of Fitbits at the current price of around $5/share.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
My friend is mad at fitbit too. He bought 2000 shares at 25 at a share. He wanted to let me in on this investment opportunity he found. I declined.

Well, then he wins the mad contest!!!

I am only out a few hundred... then again, I still have working fitbits even if they are not perfect...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I can't remember if I had one or 2 fitbits. Last one wouldn't hold a charge and finally quit working at about the one year mark. Gave up on Fitbit - I've used a Garmin Forerunner235 for the past 18 months with minimal problems.
I got the Garmin 235 18 months ago as well, to replace a FitBit Surge that lasted all of 12 months before falling apart. I still use it, but only for runs and bike rides. It isn't (for me) an efficient all day tracker, or even as a running watch for that matter, as it constantly gives me wacky doodle HR readings. C'mon, at 55 years old, my HR is not going to be 195. I've been running long enough now that I can usually tell within 5-10 BPM where my HR is just by how I feel. If I turn it all the way off and turn it back on before a run, it seems to work fine. It drops the ball quite often on syncing...have to turn it off, force quit the app, and restart way too often (never with Fitbit). And Garmin plays well with some apps, but not the ones I'd been using for years. Long story short, the 235 isn't usable as an all day tracker for me. I don't like messing with it to get it to sync, etc. So, when the Blaze came out, DW and I each got one. It's great as an all day tracker, but doesn't track runs well without tethering to a phone (no standalone gps). So I wear the Blaze all day everyday, and add the 235 for my running program. When the Blaze dies (we're in our 15th month with them, so any time now) we'll probably go to Apple Watch 2, maybe the Nike version. .
Old 09-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Bringing back this thread to life...

Today my 'fix' failed!!!

I had glued the fitbit part that fell off but the epoxy glue failed for some reason...

Have re-glued it about a minute ago and will see how this work...

I guess if I can go 3 months at a time I can keep doing what I am doing... but I fear one day the whole thing will crumble to pieces...
Old 09-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Bringing back this thread to life...

Today my 'fix' failed!!!

I had glued the fitbit part that fell off but the epoxy glue failed for some reason...

Have re-glued it about a minute ago and will see how this work...

I guess if I can go 3 months at a time I can keep doing what I am doing... but I fear one day the whole thing will crumble to pieces...
LOL, Im going to call my friend who had the 2000 shares of this. The minute I start telling him about your fitbit he will go wild. He makes up new curses when the company is even mentioned. Hahahah
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:05 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Have Fitbit Flex, spouse has Charge model. Charge has more features, and more problems.

The Flex does not seat properly when inserted to the charging cable. Have to push it a few times. The contacts are probably getting somewhat corroded from body sweat, etc.

The band is a joke. Until I found a third party brand on Amazon, the rubbery band seems to break quite easily, especially as you need to flex the band to get the fitbit out for charging.

Still, I'm ok with it. It counts steps, uploads through my computer (has the USB dongle), and it's a seamless existence.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Long term outlook for Fitbit may not be good.

That data you've been accumulating may disappear with the company.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

That's OK, as long as the step counter works and app software works. I like the software feature that captures the daily count, and the reporting that goes with it.

When my Fitbit One dies, I'll be looking for something different. The device works flawlessly, but what Fitbit has done to the software (under Windows 10) is making the live tile useless.

- Rita
Old 09-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

If they shut down the server, there may be nowhere for the trackers to upload data to.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

The 6 or so people I know who have fitbits are all overweight...and have been for years since they bought the fitbit. Chalk fitbits up as someone buying an elliptical then using it hang clothes on, lol.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had a similar experience so far - two Charge HRs and one Charge 2 HR in less than 3 years because of failure. The bands of the first Charge HRs were horrible and ripped where they meet the digital face. The new one seems more secure and the band is replaceable, but it is still too early to tell.
bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #72

I've just resigned myself to knowing that a new device is basically going to last 12-18 months, tops. The charge2 seems sturdier than the chargeHR - my last once bubbled at the side, then the battery started dying if not fully charged overnight every night.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

Which is why all Fitbit users should periodically export their data. At one time you could do that only if you are a premium user. But, some time ago, they made it where everyone can export. You can only export 31 days at a time but you can go back to when you started. I export my data.

FWIW, my husband and I have owned multiple Fitbits. Only one of them failed (the first) but only after years of use. We haven't had any broken bands or charging problems. I did have one unit that didn't work properly that was returned and replaced very early.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Well, I am back!!!

About 13 months ago my DW made me buy her a Charge 2 HR.... it is a much better machine than the original HR that I still have...

A few weeks ago she showed me a crack on the plastic face... It was not hit on anything, but there it was... along the side from top to bottom...

I think it is due to stress as they had changed their connection to charge.. the old one required you to connect and friction held it in place... this was a point of failure for 3 of the 4 that we had like that... so I was a bit excited that they fixed the problem on the new ones... but, the clip they use seems to have too strong of a spring... I thought that when we first got it, but also said that it was better than too lose... now I think it was the cause of the crack...

Quick research and it seems the crack face is happening to a number of people.... and Fitbit does not cover it since they say it is abuse or something else like that...
Old 03-25-2018, 08:09 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Decided to split the complaints as this is related to my old HR that I still have...

It is now up to 3 breaks.... my two previous were plastic that held the charge in place and the side of the unit...

Now the little strap that you move over the wrist band to hold it in place just broke... it was laying next to me in bed one day...

I have not yet tried to fix it... not sure epoxy will hold the silicone and there is very little surface so I would probably have to glue it onto the strap and then not have it where it can be moved....

As an aside, the Charge that my DD got as a replacement for hers breaking is the only one that has not broken.... the only reason is that she does not wear it anymore .... it seems it is not 'cool' anymore.... I lie a bit as she does wear it maybe one day every month or two...

So, my record is now 8 things that have broken on 5 Fitbits....
Old 03-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't expect much out of Fitbit.

I think more people are going to end up going for watches and only one smart watch is selling in any significant numbers.

Fitbit introduced a smart watch recently but it wasn't their first. They're rolling out new devices every few months.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/fit?ltr=1
Old 03-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Fitbit is a running joke in my crowd; we abandoned their junky, clunky, crappy devices a year and a half ago, when they almost universally failed to update properly. Their software was beyond horrible.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:39 AM   #78

Wow, I've used Fitbit for five years and haven't really experienced any problems.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have had fitbit for several years. I started with the little fitbit zip and had two of them. I even accidentally soaked the first one but got it to work again with take battery out, put in rice to dry out and replace the battery. I lost the plastic thing to open the battery compartment with and ended up destroying the case opening it with a butter knife. The second zip I gave to my DH after i decided to go with the wristband style. The first wristband style did not have a replaceable band. After a few months the wristband broke and fitbit sent me an Alta as a replacement. I ended up needing to replace the wristband after about a year but the fitbit itself worked fine. I ended up losing the Alta while traveling. I have replaced it with the Charge and have been happy with it for the couple of months that I have had it.
I have been satisfied with the function of the fitbit. My only complaint has been the bands. I especially like that the Alta and Charge link to my cell phone and show me texts and caller ids. I do not have to be on the same floor in my house for this to work. I don’t have a smart watch so this works for me.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

DH and I have had multiple Fitbits with really no problem. I had one a few years ago that ran down the battery quickly but it was exchanged quickly so no issue.

As far smartwatches, I would in a way love to do an Apple Watch. But, it has one huge disadvantage compared to a Fitbit. I wear my Fitbit 24/7. It only has to be charged every few days. I like the sleep tracking I get with the Fitbit.

Also I have 2 Fitbits on my account so I can wear one while charging the other.

The Apple Watch doesn't have the battery life to allow that so most people charge at night so you can't do the sleep tracking. Also, I think it is still the case that the Apple Watch doesn't do continuous heart rate monitoring except during exercise.

Those are both deal breakers for.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote